MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frogmanmike14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just ordered this book from amazon "MCAT: Verbal Reasoning Mastery" from Amazon. Has anyone heard of it? I know its fairly new. I've been doing passages from Examkrackers, TPR, and Kaplan and am not seeing consistent results so hopefully this book will change that. Well actually I am seeing improvement in Examkrackers but that doesn't transfer over to the others, and I feel that book is too easy.

Anyways the new book claims to raise a 6 to an 11 in verbal. I got a 6 last time I took the MCAT, so if I get verbal that high I'm sitting on 30+ which will make me happy.

And I'll let you know if the book is working for me in about a month, it seems to be a rather lengthy book. I get it on wednesday. :D

Members don't see this ad.

The book was unique from other materials that I saw in the way the passages are presented. The content was taken from a variety of scholarly resources and the questions are written in a way so that it targets your ability to understand what you are reading from all sorts of angles. I realized that this was the extra boost I needed in order to raise my score. Sure you can practice passages passively by reading other material, but the overall strategy shown in this book was the key. I guess it all comes back down to the basics and establishing a good foundation. You could take shortcuts in your learning, but it could always come back and bite you some time in the future. There are also sorts of practice material out there, but you got to filter out the good ones.

Did you look at the publishers website. It's apparent the book has been used by several colleges. The website even lists one director at hopkins. I write lots of reviews on amazon, for stuff i buy and stuff i get through vine and i can spot fake reviews when i see them. Yes, there are reviews on amazon where it someone tries to denigrate their competitor but these ones don't fit the pattern.
It looks like they've even done some research among a couple of colleges. It's really up to you. If it doesn't look right to you, you don't have to buy it. I have the first book and i felt it helped and i ordered this one as well. There are lots of verbal resources around; EK, kaplan, TPR workbook. do whatever seems right to you.
Good luck to you.

What I am wondering is if anyone has used the IvyHall MCAT Verbal Reasoning Passages Top 50: AAMC Based NOT the Verbal Mastery book. This is a NEW passages book by the same publisher. It also has fake amazon reviews so I am wondering if any REAL people have used it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you look at the publishers website. It's apparent the book has been used by several colleges. The website even lists one director at hopkins. I write lots of reviews on amazon, for stuff i buy and stuff i get through vine and i can spot fake reviews when i see them. Yes, there are reviews on amazon where it someone tries to denigrate their competitor but these ones don't fit the pattern.
It looks like they've even done some research among a couple of colleges. It's really up to you. If it doesn't look right to you, you don't have to buy it. I have the first book and i felt it helped and i ordered this one as well. There are lots of verbal resources around; EK, kaplan, TPR workbook. do whatever seems right to you.
Good luck to you.

I have looked at the publisher's website. I just feel as though the reviews are fake because if the book is new how can students be saying that THIS book helped them get into medical school? The book would have had to be out over a year ago for that to be true. I just don't trust reviews where they glorify the book so much (or attack the book) but do not have any prior reviews on anything. I am not 100% claiming that the reviews are fake, they could very well have written this book awhile ago and given free copies to Universities to try it out before they published the book for the public. I am just remaining a little skeptical..that is all.

With that said, I am still interested in the book (I do not want to write it off as a terrible book without giving it a chance) and so that is why I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I have exhausted most other verbal material so I am searching for something new. Do let us know what you think about it! :)

I agree that if you think a certain book is not going to help you in any sort of way then skip it and move on. It's always a good idea to do some research before making a purchase or better yet if you know someone that has already tried it and get his or her opinion on it. That's how I got mine, which was through a recommendation and I'm still satisfied with my purchase. Like I said before, this book was different from all the other verbal materials that I went through. I think the passages are written better than Kaplan. I guess certain books work better for me than others. If all the other materials that are similar didn't work out for you and you're looking for something new then you should at least take a closer look at this one. It helped improve my score.