MCAT verbal

Started by brood910
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brood910

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys.
I am currently preparing for MCAT, and I will take it in April. Yes, I have more than enough time to master all the materials. However, I am really worried about the verbal section..

My problem is not how to get the main points out of the passage, but rather, it is like I don't understand certain passages AT ALL when its full of fancy words.. Since I have like 7 months left before taking the exam, do you guys think that I should study vocab? Like SAT ones?

Please please give me suggestions.. I cant go above 7 because of this problem.

Thanks in advance.
 
Well if you feel that vocabulary is your main problem and is preventing you from understanding the passages then I would say yes, go ahead, can't hurt right? Especially since you DO have a lot of time. Like what's been said on a lot of other posts, also get into the habit of reading some dense texts (I know people have mentioned the Economist). Try to figure out the main idea for each article and it can also help you on reading speed.

What kind of books are you using for verbal right now? I'm asking because there aren't a lot of good sources of verbal passages out there, and you want to save them for once you get closer to your test day.

You can do it! You have time-- just work on reading different types of articles everyday and reviewing vocabulary if you feel that's your biggest impediment towards understanding right now. Good luck!