MCAT vs DAT vs PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Nomienom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know which school I want to go to yet, but I still have time to decide. However, over summer I want to do some early reading related to topics on these subjects and I was wondering what are the similarities between the 3 tests? I know gen chem should be generally similar and biochemistry is not included on the DAT and PCAT. What are some specific things that are similar/different for each test?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go into a field just based on the test...lol. Three completely different fields. The real question is, do you want to be a Doctor, a dentist, or a Pharmacist?

The test isn't the issue, the thing is I don't know what field I want to do but I want to start reviewing. That's why I asked for similarities so in case I end up doing DAT, I don't go over biochemistry for no apparent reason which is on the MCAT

The test isn't the issue, the thing is I don't know what field I want to do but I want to start reviewing. That's why I asked for similarities so in case I end up doing DAT, I don't go over biochemistry for no apparent reason which is on the MCAT

Well the cool thing about science is that just about every subject overlaps with one another. So if you did review biochem "for no apparent reason", it would still help you in biology/chemistry/physics/etc. No such thing as doing too much review...

Members don't see this ad :)
biochemistry is not included on the DAT and PCAT.

Biochemistry knowledge is most certainly included on the PCAT in the Chemical Processes test, it's about 20% of that exam. 8-10 questions. I took the MCAT twice...much more difficult and longer test. It's a grueling experience.

MCAT obviously has more topics to study but in reality it is an overrated exam. If you can do well on DAT or PCAT you will do very well on MCAT. With enough time to study and go over practice material anyone can achive the score they want on any of these exams.

Just focus on the basic science classes and stick to one exam to study for a few months. You can do equally well on any of these exams if you decide to take a different exam.

Not sure why this thread was Necroed...... anyway DAT doesn't really test Biochem aside from stuff you learn near the end of Orgo 2, the Math is easier than PCAT due to the lack of Calculus, we have the PAT which is a unique puzzle test sorta. Haven't taken the MCAT or PCAT so can't comment much on those.

You will find MCAT to be pretty easy if you've taken PCAT or DAT before.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
upload_2016-9-12_13-17-51.png

Reactions: 1 users
I am a pharmacist who is currently in medical school. I have taken both the PCAT and the MCAT. The PCAT was nowhere near the level of difficulty as the MCAT. Not even in the same ballpark. My MCAT score was marginal (somewhere in the 60s percentile), but good enough to get me into medical school in the US with my other credentials. I got a 96% on the PCAT, and didn't study half as long. And I hadn't even taken organic chemistry when I took it. Having taken the PCAT, the NAPLEX (pharmacy license exam), the MCAT, and 2 years worth of medical school exams, the MCAT is still the most difficult exam I have taken to date. (Yes, that means med school exams are not as difficult as the MCAT, the hardest part is getting in!). I can't say much for similarities between them. But you have to know the MCAT material better than the PCAT material because the questions are more complex and (it felt like) less time to answer them. I felt rushed the whole time, and my brain was fried when I was done. I felt as though all my thinking ability was exhausted. I felt nothing close to this for the PCAT, just my honest assessment.

Reactions: 2 users
I've taken both. scored 508 on MCAT after months of studying literally 100's of hours. 4 months after writing for the mcat, having forgot a lot, I took the PCAT and got in the 98% percentile. And this was with 4 hours of review from youtube videos the night before the test. Did I mention I forgot soo much. The PCAT is a joke of test compared to the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT is the hardest test by a significant margin. That's not a knock on dental students or pharm students at all and should you choose to go into those fields, good for you. The DAT covers most of the same material as the MCAT. The really challenging nature of the MCAT is that most of the questions in each section will be accompanied by a scientific passage of some kind. There will be a few stand alone multiple choice but the vast majority require you to read and comprehend a science prompt with figures that can be pretty long. Conversely, the DAT only has reading passages for their reading section (which the MCAT also has).

So i guess to answer your original question, you could review general bio, cell bio, gen chem, physics to start covering your bases now.