MCAT vs. USMILE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the USMILE compared with the MCAT? Is it pretty much the same type format, or is it a bit more sraightforward?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the format is similar in that the USMLE is a multiple choice exam. Its been a LONG while since I've taken the MCAT - perhaps you can expand on your concerns, query a bit.

At any rate, I found Step 1 harder than the MCAT but Step 2 easier (and more interesting to study for).

PS, The only people I've EVER heard refer to the USMLE as the "U-Smile" are IMGs. Dead giveaway in my book! :D

Different formats.... There's colorful pics, it is multiple choice, clinical, etc.

By the way, it's USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) not "USMILE" (some people do pronounce it "you smile." :))

Members don't see this ad :)
They think it USMILE, because they haven't take it yet. After they take it, it is UCRY. :D

LOL!!! How about....

UFAIL!!! :D

Popoy & Dreamer,

I sincerely hope those weren't slurs against IMGs...

There are plenty of IMGs who pass the USMLE. Granted, the percentage is not as high as US students, but you shouldn't make blanket statements.

My classmates and I are in the process of taking ours. Mine is in 10 days... I have no doubt that I'll pass.

Originally posted by dwstranger:
•Popoy & Dreamer,

I sincerely hope those weren't slurs against IMGs...

There are plenty of IMGs who pass the USMLE. Granted, the percentage is not as high as US students, but you shouldn't make blanket statements.

My classmates and I are in the process of taking ours. Mine is in 10 days... I have no doubt that I'll pass.•

Nope, I am IMG myself and I failed, 1 under, and almost cryed.
:D :D

Nope.... I've even considered going out of the country for my medical education.... I have many friends and family members that are IMG's and, you know, as well as I know that some times they make better doctors....

Chill :cool:

Popoy,

I thought you are going to an osteopathic school?

Yup, I am going to be attending an osteopathic medical school but I also applied to international schools....to which I got accepted at.... :cool:.... I researched the topics of going out of the country really well and came to the conclusion that it's a pretty good choice if your up for some adventure in your life, medical experience never experienced in the state, etc., among other things....

Whew. Glad to hear we're "slur-less."

Maybe I am a little tense (maybe?) and do need to chill. But I'm 9 days away from the USMLE (and I'm not smiling) -- single digits. AAAAAAAAAAAH.

That's right.... USMLE's are coming again....

I sincerely wish and hope you do really well. GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Originally posted by dwstranger:

Maybe I am a little tense (maybe?) and do need to chill. But I'm 9 days away from the USMLE (and I'm not smiling) -- single digits. AAAAAAAAAAAH.[/QB]

Do not freak out till you see result. You will be OK. If you took Step I, Step II is little bit easier, or should I say it was easier for me.

GOOD LUCK!
:D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Noone says they "passed" the MCAT.

Because there is no such thing as a "passing" score for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE. But there is for the USMLE, course exams, licensing exams, etc.

Relax a little dwstranger. I know the tension ca become unbearable but chances are you WILL pass and be able to continue on with your medical education.

If you find yourself becoming overwhelmed during the exam, use one of those breaks they give you.

Best of luck! :D

Sorry for sounding stupid....

What is an IMG? :confused:

IMG= International Medical Graduate

IMG are also called FMG's = Foreign Medical Graduates

Originally posted by cm7b5:
•Noone says they "passed" the MCAT.•

People in combined degree programs (BA/MD) that need to attain a minimum score or such say that they have "passed" or "failed" the MCAT. Passed if they attain the minimum and can go onto medical school, failed if they haven't and need to retake it.

Originally posted by Popoy:
•IMG are also called FMG's = Foreign Medical Graduates•

There's been some move to call US citizens trained abroad IMGs to differentiate them from actual FMG "foreigners" but old habits die hard. They are, as Popoy notes, the same category.

DO they Offer(medical schools)USMLE exams two times a year, like MCAT?
Or you allow them to take one time(when you ready). :rolleyes:

Originally posted by amisoone:
DO they Offer(medical schools)USMLE exams two times a year, like MCAT?
Or you allow them to take one time(when you ready).

USMLE is administered over the computer at a computer testing center. (At least Steps 1 and 2 are). You can schedule them for whenever you want, however, many schools have deadlines or specific time periods when you must take them. They differ from the MCAT in that while you may retake any step of the USMLE if you fail that step, if you pass them you may not retake any of the steps to improve your score.