Mcat When?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester sophmore but by hours I am a first semester junior. This summer I will be attending a pre-med academy at Texas Tech where we wil be spending MANY hours in MCAT review. I am considering taking the M in August and be ahead in the process.

What is the real reason you are encouraged to take the M in April? Is it because it is different or because people who take it in August are submitting late in the process?

By taking it in August it will be fresh on my mind and I can start applying in Janurary when I have the required 90 hours. I fell I could get my application in 4-5 months ahead of most people. Is this flawed reasoning? Also, I wouldn't have to worry about studying for the M while on school.

I have all my prereq's out of the way. The drawback is I would not have any AP or Genetic's classes which I hear helps. We will cover this though in the review.

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it in August, since you will be doing all of that preparation. People usually recommend April over August for those who will be applying that summer. If you are going to wait until the next summer to apply, then there is no problem with taking it in August. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
A premed academy? If that isnt the definition of cool I dont know what is

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it.

Anyway, people advise April over August so people won't be late in the admissions cycle. Almost everyone advises taking August after your 2nd year rather than April IF you will be as ready as you're ever gonna be. I am doing the same thing (except no premed academy for me :( ) and taking it this August.

If your not going to be applying during the next cycle, there is probably no advantage to taking the August exam unless you feel like you will be more prepared after your premed academy. I think that AMCAS does not open the online application forms until around June 1, so you will still have to wait until the beginning of the next summer to begin your application process. This will put you more or less on even ground with those who will be taking the April exam.

If your not going to be applying during the next cycle, there is probably no advantage to taking the August exam unless you feel like you will be more prepared after your premed academy. I think that AMCAS does not open the online application forms until around June 1, so you will still have to wait until the beginning of the next summer to begin your application process. This will put you more or less on even ground with those who will be taking the April exam.

Yes, this is all true. The advantages to going early are that you may have more time to prepare this way. For instance, I will have an entire summer of nothing but mcat as opposed to doing what most premeds do and juggling mcat with a crazy courseload. This is an advantage for me. Also, if you've just completed all your prereqs plus maybe some of the extras like myself, everything will be very fresh. Also, if you don't perform as well as you'd like there is always April and you aren't at a disadvantage, you're just like everyone else. There's even the opportunity to retake TWICE and still be on the same cycle, although no one expects that. Finally, if you do perform to your expectations, you'll have a bit less stressful third year.

I'm in the same situation right now, trying to decide if I want to take the MCAT this August...

So what if you do decide to take the MCAT in August before your Junior year and don't do all that well? Obviously you can take it again in April, but will this look bad for ADCOMS?

If you can, I'd take the August MCAT. More time to study, plus you leave yourself the option of taking the April one (in your junior year) if necessary.

So what if you do decide to take the MCAT in August before your Junior year and don't do all that well? Obviously you can take it again in April, but will this look bad for ADCOMS?

Everyone enters the mcat thinking there's a chance that things won't go well and they'll be there again. It isn't ideal, but adcoms consider your highest score. That said, only take the August before your Jr year if you think you really, really are ready to go in their and perform well. Good luck :)

I agree with the above posters... if you're confident, take it now. Saves tons of grief not to be studying while doing other coursework. Plus, if the example helps, I took it in August after 2nd year and I smoked it (which I put up to having time to study during the summer).