MCAT with one semester of Orgo??

Started by bigman99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigman99

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How feasible is it to take the MCAT with only one semester of Orgo?
Thanks all!
 
I think you could get by pretty well with only one semester of organic. The organic section focuses on a lot of concepts, rather than individual reactions, and you learn the majority of these concepts during the first semester. However, I would definitely recommend studying or at least reading about some major second semester reactions/concepts. These include the properties of aromatic compounds, reactions of aldehydes and ketones, aldol condensation reactions, electrophilic addition reactions, and NMR/IR/Mass spectroscopy. These were the major topics covered in my second semester of organic, and many showed up on my MCAT.
 
I'd say it's kind of a toss up. Most of the advice I got, was that it would be no big deal. Unfortunately, I got hammered with a ton of Orgo II. Luck of the draw, I suppose. Yet, if I had to do it again, I would.
 
PSI....I was just curious about your name. Does it stand for the 1 ATM=14.67 lbs/ sq in. If I remember correctly, that is right.