Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT with one semester of Orgo??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bigman99, Oct 30, 2000.

1. bigman99

bigman99 New Member

How feasible is it to take the MCAT with only one semester of Orgo?
    Thanks all!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KMorris3

KMorris3 Senior Member

I think you could get by pretty well with only one semester of organic. The organic section focuses on a lot of concepts, rather than individual reactions, and you learn the majority of these concepts during the first semester. However, I would definitely recommend studying or at least reading about some major second semester reactions/concepts. These include the properties of aromatic compounds, reactions of aldehydes and ketones, aldol condensation reactions, electrophilic addition reactions, and NMR/IR/Mass spectroscopy. These were the major topics covered in my second semester of organic, and many showed up on my MCAT.

4. psi1467

psi1467 Senior Member

I'd say it's kind of a toss up. Most of the advice I got, was that it would be no big deal. Unfortunately, I got hammered with a ton of Orgo II. Luck of the draw, I suppose. Yet, if I had to do it again, I would.

5. jimmybee

jimmybee Med/Peds Resident

Attending Physician
    PSI....I was just curious about your name. Does it stand for the 1 ATM=14.67 lbs/ sq in. If I remember correctly, that is right.