Mcat without formal second semester physics course

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Nutter Butter, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Nutter Butter

Nutter Butter Junior Member

Hi everybody, I am a sophomore who is planning on taking the mcat this august. I have already taken all the required premed sciences except for second semester physics (electromagnetism,etc.) I plan to study the second semester physics material on my own using a college text book before I take a kaplan course this summer to prep for the test. Is it possible to learn the material on my own and still do get a good handle on the material to do well on the physical sciences section? I would appreciate any advice, stories, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're someone who's good at learning material on your own, then I say go for it. I was in a similar situation actually-- I took the MCAT the summer after my sophomore year, without having taken any physics classes at all. The physical sciences section actually ended up being my best! (13)
    If after taking a few practice MCATs you find that you're doing poorly on the physical sciences section, then just put off the MCAT til next spring.
    Good luck!

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    If I recall, Physics II ususally has lens and mirrors. I would go over that. You could buy the Kaplan comprehensive book from any book store and it has all you need. It is about $70.

5. still waiting

still waiting Junior Member

I also have good news as I took the MCAT without any second semester physics (I took the MCAT my junior year, and physics second semester my senior year - which was a bad idea given my senioritis), and did the best (13) in the physical sciences section. I agree with the previous posters, use whatever books you have. I used the Princeton Review "Science Review" thing,which is better than a textbook (textbooks are too thorough). I also learned from my mistakes on my practice tests. In fact, that's where I learned the most from - my mistakes. I hate screwing up on tests, so whenever I marked my practice tests, I would try to never make the mistake twice. Good luck!