MCAT Writing Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bamfu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the MCAT writing section isn't very important, but one thing is bugging me about it.

Should we avoid first person in our essays?

When I asked the folks teaching my EK prep course, I got a roundabout answer, and I can't find a straight answer anywhere else. I'm comfortable replacing "you," "I," and "we" with formal versions of themselves, but I'm not sure if I need to.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the MCAT writing section isn't very important, but one thing is bugging me about it.

When I asked the folks teaching my EK prep course, I got a roundabout answer, and I can't find a straight answer anywhere else. I'm comfortable replacing "you," "I," and "we" with formal versions of themselves, but I'm not sure if I need to.

I used first person and I got a T.

pretty sure the direction's ask about what YOU think the statement means, so no you shouldn't avoid it. they don't want to know what he or she or the redundant you thinks, but what you do.

I don't see how it will affect your score but my instructor gave me this advice, hope it helps:

The key is you have to stick to the prompt.

T1 explain whatever the prompt is, define the ambiguous terms (success, hard work, competition, etc) and give a concrete example. Don't bring up the counter and don't pass judgement (saying one is better than the other).

T2: counter, now you give the exception to the prompt (which is also given in the small paragraph for every writing sample after the prompt). Again explain and use a concrete example.

T3: What is your rule as to when the prompt applies and when it does not reply. (ie when is it T1 when is it T2?) could be circumstance, the good of the people is involved, safety, etc.

The big thing is stick to the prompt and remain a neutral 3rd party.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how it will affect your score but my instructor gave me this advice, hope it helps:

The key is you have to stick to the prompt.

T1 explain whatever the prompt is, define the ambiguous terms (success, hard work, competition, etc) and give a concrete example. Don't bring up the counter and don't pass judgement (saying one is better than the other).

T2: counter, now you give the exception to the prompt (which is also given in the small paragraph for every writing sample after the prompt). Again explain and use a concrete example.

T3: What is your rule as to when the prompt applies and when it does not reply. (ie when is it T1 when is it T2?) could be circumstance, the good of the people is involved, safety, etc.

The big thing is stick to the prompt and remain a neutral 3rd party.

How many paragraphs should you achieve this in?? I've read that you want to write at least two pages maybe it was a nightmare reading that so.. Maybe I'm wrong

It is best if the examples you provide are not personal examples which makes it easy to avoid using the first person. Do you have to avoid it? No, but most people do. It's also good to avoid it because it makes it easier to avoid passing judgment on the prompt, which is essential.

Most really good essays are at least two pages. It takes that long to really explain your examples and the prompt. How you break the paragraphs down is up to you.

stick to the prompt.

Doing this well will get you a P or Q. Going through the essay (assuming you have time left) and replacing weak verbs with stronger ones, not using passive voice and eliminating pronouns will raise your score higher. I got a R, was hoping for a S, but oh well. Schools don't really care as long as your score is not super low.

Since you are writing an expository essay, I don't think it is wise to write using terms like "you" and "I". Writing "I think" is passive writing. Instead of writing something like "I think the the supreme court is becoming too partisan," its better to say "The supreme court is becoming to partisan." The essays needs to stand on its own. I don't think it should sound like your opinion, though that is what it actually is. Just my opinion.