MCATS: 3-5-6-Q HELP!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IwannaBeADOCTOR

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, as you can see I am in need of some desprate help....

My MCATS are worthless (3-5-6). I have an awsome GPA and a Degree in Biology. What should I do to get my MCATS around 8's?? I took Princton (with 12 credits that semester). I'm a URM, English is my 3rd language. I also work 40 hrs/week. SHould I enroll in a post-bacc, master's program, get a private tutor for the MCATS? I'll do anything.

Any advice? PLease only serious people reply.

Thanks, Kathy

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Kathy,
I have had a similar experience, I graduated ten years ago and the first time I took the MCAT I go 5-5-4 and a M. I was devastated. I took a two year break after that due to complete frustration. Finally last april I decided to try again. I took off work from April until the test in August. I took the Kaplan review. I don't know the differences between the courses I picked it due to the location. I went from 8 am to 6pm monday thru friday. I went to all the classes and spent any free time studying to catch up the years I was missing. I had no life, and by the way I have two kids also. But there was hope, I got 8-9-7 and P. I was accepted this year to two DO schools and wait listed at one md school. I do have alot of experience in medicine as a occupational therapist but my 24 was all I needed to get in. If you don't have the time or the patience to sit for four months you might want to consider a post bac but that seems long and unnecessary if you don't have to. Best of luck and don't give up. If you need to email me I'm at [email protected]

------------------
Dawn Sangi

My friend,

Sorry to tell you, but you are screwed. Even if you score above a 30 on the next exam, this score will always come back to haunt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Master Bastion, I completely disagree. If one can raise the score that much, and point to excellent reasons why, the score will not come back to haunt this individual. (Many schools, unlike law schools, do not average the scores of multiple attempts on their aptitude exams. They place weight on the highest score as a measure of ability.) My concern would be whether achieving the 30 is possible, and it doesn't appear that this is likely. I might give it one more shot, WITHOUT working at all, and only with months of studying with or without a prep course. Practice tests are a must. Tutoring may be necessary. But remember, too, that boards scores (necessary to become an MD or DO) correllate to both MCAT and grades, and with so much struggle on the MCAT, you're likely (though not absolutely) looking at big struggles with 3 steps of national boards as well. I mean no offense, only reality.

To All Medical School Applicants,

For those of you who are studying for more than a couple months to a couple years for the MCAT, I am wondering if you think about the USMLE as being similar to the MCAT? I believe the above post is probably correct in saying that correlation between the MCAT and USMLE. I heard from so many friends and people about how much time they are going to study for the MCAT, but I wonder if some of you ever thought about the idea that you do not have 2 or 3 years to study for the USMLE. You'll be too busy with medical school courses and will not be able to take off from school for years. This is similar to many older applicants who study for years for the exam to get a higher score to compete with the natural doctors or the people who really belong in medical school. I think preparing for the exam should go back to the old days, when they took their prerequisites, completed them and immediately took the MCAT based on what they learned in their studies over a longer period of time. Rather, these days, there are individuals who are finishing prerequistes, graduating and studying for years for the MCAT. Just remember this: The USMLE will be approaching very quickly hitting you in the second year of medical school, and you do not have time to stop medical school and study like crazy for it. Just my opinion... Take it as you will.

Sterichind,
You do have two years to study for the USMLE--your first two years of Med school. I agree that you shouldn't need two more after that, nor will you get it. Although most schools allow a few weeks between classes and the boards. Studying for many months or even years exclusively for the MCAT, seems to be a bit excessive. If a person needs to do that to have a good score then perhaps they need to rethink medicine as a career choice. Not that it is not possible, just that it may be a very hard road in medical school if they make it in. Retaking the MCAT once isn't a bad thing. I know a number of people who have done it, although I don't remember any drastic change in outcome for anyone. But, as other posters point out, it is not impossible--go for it.

As to your comment about "older applicants", I do not know of any that have taken an extra 2-3 years to study for the MCATs. Most had other careers before deciding on medicine and didn't stop their lives to study. As one of these "older applicants", I find it offensive for you to imply that we somehow inhance our test scores by studying for years just to compete with "natural doctors or people who really belong in Med school". Who are these "natural doctors" anyway? Do you have some unresolve issues here? The average age in my first year class is 26. Some are 40ish, and one is 50ish. This is the reality of medical school today. I'm sure that you will have to work with these people in the future and hopefully your attitude will have improved by then.

I would like to send some encouragement to Iwannabeadoctor. If that is what you want to do then I say do it. I had to take the MCAT 4 times before I got accepted and even then it wasnt that high. Neither was my undergrad GPA but im currently in the top 50% of my class. So im not sure that tests mean all that much. Good luck!

I have a similar dilemma with the MCATs, well I don't know what scores I get on each section I just started studying, but have never been a very good test taker. As a result, I struggled with the GPA in undergrad. I am currently enrolled in a PhD program in Health Sciences (1st year), I also have a few years of a research lab experience. This summer I intend to take the MCATs and by next spring receive an MS, then apply to all the DO schools. I have intended, or wanted to become this type of a physician since I can remember. Does anyone one have any tips/suggestions? (My undergrad GPA is still haunting me, and not a very good test taker, meaning the MCATs), also have some publications.

thanks..

Originally posted by ERGUY:
I would like to send some encouragement to Iwannabeadoctor. If that is what you want to do then I say do it. I had to take the MCAT 4 times before I got accepted and even then it wasnt that high. Neither was my undergrad GPA but im currently in the top 50% of my class. So im not sure that tests mean all that much. Good luck!

Hi Erguy,

I have a couple of questions for you. I am in the same predicament as axangel. My GPA and MCAT scores are not of the most competitive caliber. I have been actually rejected by KCOM, but I am still waiting on NOVA and LECOM- My first question to you would be:
Since you had to take the MCAT 4 times. During your admission interview did they voice their concern about the USMLE and your capability to pass it and how did you responde to their concerns
my next question is; since it is highly inlikely for me to get in a D.O school should I get a Masters degree or go to chiropractor school or PT school
to boost my chances of getting perhaps next year
please advice
thank you

Kathy,
Cheer up!!! These MCAT scores are a blessing in disguise. Since you messed up so nicely on your MCAT, this gives you the perfect opportunity to look into the world of rubbish removal. Haven't you always wanted to be a garbageman? I always have, but unfortunately, I did well on my MCAT, and now I am in medical school. I really was hoping I would screw up my MCAT so that I could run around and throw garbage into a truck, but it did not happen. However, it has happened to you, so be thankful. Maybe I will see you some time soon in my neighborhood emptying my garbage cans??
Best wishes and keep warm.
-your sour and foul Liquid :)

Kathy,

Pay no attention to Liquid_tension (sounds like this person has some issues). Perseverance is a trait many people including myself admire. I personally think that if you get enrolled in a prep course like Kaplan, you will do fine and medical schools will be able to plainly see that you simply had a rough day on that 1st MCAT. Just put in the time so you can prove pessemists like the afore mentioned dorkus in their places. There is no reason for such negative responses in these forums. I have been accepted to medical school and I only hope I will not have to endure such juvenile actions at my medical school. Good luck Kathy and keep your head up!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, do not be discouraged. I scored very low the first time I took the mcat as well. I took a review course, studied my ass off, got some clinical experience, and met some people in high places. If you really want to become a doctor, you will become one. You are obviously intelligent since you have a high GPA, speak three languages and scored a Q on the written. You may have had a poor undergraduate education. I know that was a problem for me and I basically had to teach myself physics. I will say that D.O. schools have a reputation for taking less than perfect individuals who have shown that they want to be a doctor more than anything, and know the right people
smile.gif
Worry about boards when you get there. Again do not be discouraged by what a couple of these arrogant fools have said. I hope they were joking.

This is to SAMMY1,
I have read some of your previous posts, and
consider you a cool individual. I have been
looking at the different comments that people
have been making that will be or are
attending osteopathic schools this year.
Some of the comments from some of the
individuals going to various osteopathic
schools, sounded immature. The posts from
you and other that will be attending lecom
were mature. I am an older student, married,
with a child, and the last thing I want to
have happen is to be in a class with people
I have nothing in common with. Could you
let me know a litttle about the lecom area?
How are the parks? How is the area? Are
houses expensive? Is there culture, ie
theatre, community events? If you don't
know that is O.K., I just want to research
this decision before jumping headlong into
a new enviroment totally unprepared. Thanks
a lot and stay mature!
Tim

------------------
tb

ons1:
Sorry about the delay to your question. I havent been on here much lately. I interviewed at 3 different schools and not one of them asked me about passing the USMLE or about the # of times I took the MCAT. At an allopathic school, however, that might have been an issue. As far as starting another professional program I really dont think it matters one way or the other. The important thing is getting your MCAT score up. After that, you might try thinking about getting some medical related job. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Kathy,
Sounds like you have a lot to juggle while also taking the MCAT.... if you really want a good score, you should devote about 3 months and take a prep course. Do whatever you can to help your cause....ex - working in med field, taking extra science classes, shadowing docs, etc.
If your results are not desirable after taking it again and devoting all your time to it. I would consider taking a post-bacc program or masters. I have many classmates at COMP who did that route.
Lastly, you need to consider if you're cut out for it if you keep doing poorly, then i might consider another field altogether. I discovered all the extra things I did (ex-applying, extra classes) really added up financially after awhilie... it gets damn expensive!
Med school is no cake walk, I thought just being admitted into med school I would be a doc, but there's a whole lot of hurdles to jump once you're in school.
So I hope I didn't burst your bubble, just want to be realistic. If you really want it.... you're going to get it one way or another. Keep your head up and good luck!
smile.gif

-Eric

break down your study into small individual units and practice only those sample test questions. Generate a test question bank by gathering many review books, but focus on a single small topic at a time rather than taking whole general tests over a wide subject area. first identify where you are weak and start on the basics in these areas. Dont listen to people who give you negative feedback, if you sense they are starting to slam you, delete their ass and move on.
if you get stuck on a topic go to a tutor or a community college and seek help. find out people who can talk about things in simple form and ask them to walk you through the basics. The MCAT is actually very simple to study for as it requires no real deep thought processes, only a superficial knowledge of a lot of areas. The english portion is the only one with real abstraction, i would suggest just taking tons of sample english tests. maybe thirty questions a day for a month and then take a review test to see if you are improving.
if you have test anxiety perhaps counseling might help. expand your time table, dont assume you have to be in medical school in two years or else, give yourself four or five years. Consider offshore schools as well.
now before you do all that, if you havent spent any time in medicine yet, get some experience around physicians and hospitals and identify why you want to be a physician, chances are you may discover its not a primary goal that you have, unfortunately a lot of people discover this after they are already in med school, not that uncommon a phenomenon.
good luck and keep asking for help, it'll help you see what type of people you will soon have the opportunity to work with.