MCATs in April while waiting to hear from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lancer_VII

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

First I'd like to thank everyone on this board (and website!) - you've all been a great asset both serving as a resource for information, but also a source of encouragement for me during this whole application process. I have 2 questions that I need to get some help on - the first of which is pretty standard, but the second one might be useful to some of the readers out there who might be thinking about as well!

My stats - evenly distributed 29P with a 3.4/3.5 GPA, science major from a top liberal arts college. I presume I have good LORS since I'm friends with 3 of my undergrad profs. ECs include - Chair of a large student org, ROTC Nazi, co-founder of 2 businesses, management consultant for a year, published neuroscience thesis, research galore with 3 pubs and prestigious science awards & honors, hospital volunteer, tons of teaching experience including a fellowship for inner city teaching, and others...

Even though I grew up in the city from a semi-disadvantaged background, I am not an URM, unfortunately (though I might pass as Eskimo...hmmm...maybe I can claim Native Americaness since I was born in Sioux territory). Anyways...

In a way, I sound like a cookie cutter pre-med when it comes to my ECs. And my relatively low numbers come mainly because I didn't really focus and become pre-med until last year. I've already gotten 4 rejects, a hold for an interview, and just 1 interview so far.

So my questions:

1. Understanding that my rejections come from the top 10 schools, what are my chances overall? My application was compeleted in late August through September and thus far I have only gotten pre-interview rejects and 1 interview. Still waiting to hear from 15 others.

2. I've thought of taking the MCAT again in April in case I get 100% rejections this year and have to apply next year. But then I'm not sure if I should spend more time re-studying and preparing for the MCAT if I luck out and get accepted somewhere. However, if I wait until I hear from all the schools (and finalize all my rejections), I would take the MCAT again in August and thus be at a disadvantage when applying since my application would not be complete until October. Is there anyone out there with a similar situation? Thinking about taking the MCAT again in April while waiting to hear back from schools?

I appreciate everyone's input on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!! :clap:
I like your screen name - great car!

About the MCAT's, I was thinking the same thing - I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I think it's not a bad idea to take the april MCAT's but maybe its better to wait a while to make the decision. I'm planning to wait until January - if I don't have any more interviews by then, then I'm going to start studying.

:)

first off i think you have a pretty good chance of getting in somewhere, but you can never be too sure.
i'm also applying this cycle but am planning on retaking the mcats in april... i personally am not willing to take the risk of waiting for all my schools to respond just cuz i want to ensure that i get in the next cycle at the latest. i figure i'm already somewhat familiar with the material, studying for it a second time around probably won't be quite as painful..? *crossing fingers*
btw, kaplan classes for the april mcats start in less than a week?! :eek:
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm....has anyone taken the MCATs in the April during their application cycle and after getting favorable results later on, subsequently submitted them to the schools they were waitlisted on? Just wondering...

I think by the time that April scores are received, most schools have filled their classes.

At my state school, MUSC, the dean bragged about a student who got accepted from waitlist the day after classes started this year (with new and improved april MCAT scores). It sound like a rare occurance otherwise, but not entirely impossible. Retake in April if between now and then you are waitlisted only and not accepted anywhere.

Right now I would focus on the positive, one interview yay!! :clap:. How many of the adcoms have met since your app was complete (?), probably not all 15. You have more interviews on the way I bet. Your numbers are close to middle of the road for most matriculants, and your ECs sound outstanding (but what is ROTC nazi?:confused: ) Congrats on your Pubs (interested in MD/PhD?-see appropriate forum, it rocks!)

Anyhow, congrats and be :cool: . I think you are in good shape.