1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

MCATS no pre-reqs

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by raptis555, Mar 13, 2007.

1. raptis555

Pre-Medical
    I am a non traditional student and was wondering if anyone out there has taken the MCATs without having their pre-reqs completed? By the time I wish to take the MCAT I will only have taken chemistry and anatomy and physiology. If anyone out there has taken the MCAT without completing their pre-reqs please write back and let me know what your thoughts are and how did. Thanks.

-Madison

2. Muscles00GT

2+ Year Member

I know a lot of people who have taken MCAT's without compelting ALL of their prereq's; however, it's usually only a course or 2. Do you need to take your MCAT's before you take the other prereq's? If not, I would suggest getting in your physics and at least the first orgo chem. I can't imagine trying to learn all the material on your own if you haven't had the course, but I'm sure it's plausible.

3. RisingSun

RisingSun Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Seriously, if you really want to go to med school in the US you need to do well on this test. What you are thinking of doing is like taking a cumulative final after having studied only the first two weeks of material of a 10 week course. You will not do well. As older students we often don't have the luxury of taking the test multiple times and applying three or even four cycles. Do it right the first time.

My advice: take all the prereqs, give yourself ample time to study for and do well on the MCAT, and then blow the lid off the test. It is a very doable test, despite what everyone says, i.e. it is not as impossible as people hype it up to be. But you need to be realistic, too, and go into the test prepared. The extra year that you will need to take the rest of the prereqs and study for the test also can be used to beef up your application in other ways, too, so it is not like you are wasting time.

If you just want to take the test for kicks and don't really care how you do (I know people who have done this, and they did not do well <25), then by all means, take the test without the other prereqs.

My two cents.

4. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I absolutely agree with RisingSun. I would strongly advise against taking the MCAT without having taken your premedical prerequisites. You need to have a strong knowledge base for the MCAT. Don't take it without your prerequisites and don't take it for sh*ts and giggles, either; every take that you score counts. Both your MCAT score and your UGPA need to be as good as you can get them for the admissions process, and you don't want to take any unnecessary chances with either of them. Please don't rush. You've waited this long. Be patient and do it right and once.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

I took it without any physics background at all. It was not wise. Even review books and prep. courses assume a baseline understanding of each subject. Guessing or 'gaming' the test writer does not work on the MCAT. If you have too many missing prereq's delay taking the MCAT. You want to take it only once and that should be when you are most prepared.

6. acedens

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is there any way you could rearrange your schedule to take physics, organic, and a few biology courses first? You don't have to complete ALL your pre-reqs, but anatomy and physiology won't be nearly as helpful as physics and organic. (Although they would be a help, so if at all possible, I'd have a good grasp of everything before attempting it.)

You can always take a practice test and see where your strengths/weaknesses are. That might make things a bit more clear.

7. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    It's a very bad idea. See my response to this almost identical question posted a few threads below yours. I don't know why we suddenly have a barrage of nontrads wanting to take foolish shortcuts, but it's not any better of an idea to skip your pre-reqs as a nontrad than it is as a trad.

http://donors.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=379251

Edit: Oh, and Madison, please don't cross post the same thread on different forums. Pick one and post it there. I'm merging your two threads here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...