Mccqe Ii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leydig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Canuck or potential ones:

What are some of the differences there b/w Canadian MCCQE part II and USMLE part II CS? Any difference in preparation?

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't written the USMLEs but my understanding is that the MCCQE is similar to step 3. It's basically an OSCE exam. It's quite easy and i've never heard of anyone actually failing it.

do you get any pediatric cases in MCCQE part II?

Members don't see this ad :)
which is harder?

Lots of peds when i did it (that was in 2001). The cases i remember where a 10y.o. diabetic (had to do diabetic teaching and couselling), and an infant with GERD.

I hadn't examined a kid since 3rd year med school (i was a surgery resident) and had no clue. Still got 100% on the exam and the pass was around 60. Not sure how you really can fail that exam (although aparently people do)

MCCQE II is a lot harder than USMLE II. MCCQE is practically all OSCE style... with some radiograph interpretation and follow-up MCQs. A lot more exhausting, but probably similar overall time.

mccqe ii is usmle step 2 cs combined with step 3 knowledge base. a lot more practical/management.

some people say the spring session is easier compared to the fall session, i know a canadian grad who failed a fall session (scored 50+) and then retook without much change in study method and scored 90+.

% of peds/ obgyn / surgery stations changes each time. sometimes there are peds questions but no patient in the room and you are interviewing parents.