MCG MD/PhD- GT Bioengineering PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

UGA MDPhD 21

Hello All,

MCG offers students the option of doing their PhD at GT in bioengineering. I am intrigued by the program, but I come from a life sciences background. If anyone is familiar with bioengineering @ GT, I'd like to get some general feedback on the challenges of pursuing this option from a cell bio background.

Any comments on the nature of bioengineering benchwork would also be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The bioengineering degree is very flexible and allows you to tailor your coursework as you need. So in your case, you would be taking more fundamental engineering courses than someone with an engineering background. The other extreme is with students who come from non bme engineering degrees like civil or mechanical who will have to take many bio courses. Also, keep in mind that the research at GT is vast. Some labs are more engineering oriented while others are more life sciences oriented.

The Biomedical Engineering curriculum is more rigid. However, it is supposed to be reformatted soon to be more flexible.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions. I have just finished interviewing for MD/PhD in BE and still have a lot of fresh information.