Hey, don't usually post on this but this one hit close to home. I am a medical student in Augusta and am very familiar with the ENT program here. Personally I think the program is great. I have spent about six weeks rotating within the deparment and almost a year doing research with them.
The faculty here is full of big names in head/neck, laryngology, and rhinology.
The residents get along, work well together, and have fun together.
The cases are diverse and plentiful. The chiefs that graduated last year were well prepared for private practice and fellowship (one of the chiefs went to Stanford).
They have fellows in laryngology, endocrinology, rhinology, head/neck.
They recently added a well regarded pediatric guy from Hopkins.
They are adding a skull base guy from Cleveland Clinic this fall.
As someone who has done research within the department for a year I can honestly say that research is becoming more of an emphasis of the department. They are in the process of hiring full time laboratory technicians. They also applied for 3 CORE grants this year and are well represented at national meetings.
I can't think of a better single training program in Augusta than Otolaryngology. There is no intentional bias in anything I have said.
Drawbacks: Augusta is an interesting town. Unfortunately it lacks a certain something that a single, fun-loving, young adult would need. It does have a handful of solid bars, occasional decent music acts, a few cultural activities, and some sport related attractions (Masters, Green Jackets), but it is far from Atlanta, Athens, Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte.
That being said, it does offer a lot for someone willing to give it a chance. In residency you will obviously be busy and if you are married or seriously involved there is plenty for you to do. There are many parks, lakes, the savannah river, golf courses, movie theaters, decent food, decent shopping, that make it a good place to raise a family. I'd be happy to answer more questions about the program, Augusta, whatever.
~