MCG vs. Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ga_med2719

Reaction score
I’ve been accepted into 2 of my top programs and I’m trying to think ahead regarding where to attend. My specialty interest is ortho so I’d like to be in the best position to get a good residency. I've started to lean towards Wake following my interview, but I'm finding it difficult to justify paying double the tuition over my public in state school.

Medical College of Georgia (#79 USNWR)

Pros
  • In state - about 2.5 hours from home
    • Support system - family and SO
  • COA ($30k)
  • MCG 3+ Curriculum - 4th year used for advanced clerkship
    • 1.5 year pre clinical
  • Research - summer research program
  • P/F curriculum
  • I'll know many students attending (which can also be a con because I do want to branch out)
Cons
  • Large class ~200+
  • None of the campuses stand out to me
  • I would like a new experience out of GA
  • Rural rotations

Wake Forest (#49 USNWR)

Pros
  • Match List
  • Wake Ready Curriculum - 13 months individualization post clerkship
    • 1.5 year pre-clinical
  • 2 great residency programs
    • Well respected ortho residency
  • Great sports med program during med school
  • Good research opportunities - summer research program
  • Smaller class size ~145
  • True P/F curriculum
  • Rotations in Winston Salem and Charlotte
Cons
  • Out of State - Only 4.5 hours so not terrible
  • COA ($62k)
    • They do have great scholarships. Avg is about 34k in a year

Members don't see this ad.

When would you find out about the scholarships at Wake? I have not heard of them giving out a lot of aid before, so they may only give a small number of these out.

When would you find out about the scholarships at Wake? I have not heard of them giving out a lot of aid before, so they may only give a small number of these out.

Prior to the interview, they had us watch videos on their financial aid. One of the videos mentioned that 250+ students received aid through the university with the average package totaling around 34k. There are also a lot of URM scholarships that I hope to take advantage of if applicable. I would find out mid April though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to the interview, they had us watch videos on their financial aid. One of the videos mentioned that 250+ students received aid through the university with the average package totaling around 34k. There are also a lot of URM scholarships that I hope to take advantage of if applicable. I would find out mid April though.
You can wait till then to see. If they distribute it roughly evenly between classes, that comes out to about 60 scholarships. I feel they include institutional aid options at more favorable interest rates to get to the 34k figure.

The tuition alone though is 63k, so the actual cost of attendance is knocking on 100k a year from what their website shows. You would need a large, 4 year scholarship to bring the cost close enough to compete with MCG. They’re both large class sizes so knowing people you can trust coming in is a bigger benefit to start school.

Reactions: 1 user
You can wait till then to see. If they distribute it roughly evenly between classes, that comes out to about 60 scholarships. I feel they include institutional aid options at more favorable interest rates to get to the 34k figure.

The tuition alone though is 63k, so the actual cost of attendance is knocking on 100k a year from what their website shows. You would need a large, 4 year scholarship to bring the cost close enough to compete with MCG. They’re both large class sizes so knowing people you can trust coming in is a bigger benefit to start school.
You make some good points. There’s still plenty of time, so I’m definitely going to think on it and see what aid I can get. I appreciate the input!

Reactions: 1 user