Mcg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chester1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if there's already a thread about this...someone post a link? is anyone else applying here. what has anyone heard about filling out the secondary? they don't state any limit on the essays... and how vital is it that you have a physician write a reference letter? vital enough that i should get a doctor to do it even if there are other people in my volunteering jobs that knew me better? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MCG's secondary is LONG. But, it's free. So, fill it and take the room that is needed to answer the questions. I typed my answers in with Adobe Pro and what not. So, I was limited by the space they provided.

MD letters never really hurt your file. So, grab some!

Scott

There was an mcg thread already but it was mostly people and questions for people who applied last cycle.

As far as the physician reference its anecdotal but I didn't have one. IMO its probably better to have good solid references than to have one that is just ok but has MD after the name.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you post a link to that thread...or is it lost now?

has anyone been invited to interview at MCG? (not early decision people..)

I submitted my secondary back in mid july but all my lor's aren't ready - particularly the premed committee letter.

Old mcg thread

Unless things have changed I'm pretty sure they are only interviewing early decision folks at this point, regular applicants usually start more into october. Also when I interviewed you didn't actually have to have a file complete when they invite you for interviews. They actually have a time where they will meet with everyone individually and let you know if they don't have everything.

Old mcg thread

Unless things have changed I'm pretty sure they are only interviewing early decision folks at this point, regular applicants usually start more into october. Also when I interviewed you didn't actually have to have a file complete when they invite you for interviews. They actually have a time where they will meet with everyone individually and let you know if they don't have everything.
Are you a current MCG student?

I called today, and the lady there (Bonnie, I believe) said that they haven't started interviewing regular decision applicants yet. If I understood her correctly, they might have finished interviewing the ED applicants, too. So hopefully anytime now...

Yeah, I'm a 3rd year. There are a number of other in the 1st and 2nd year class as well that will probably be able to give the most up to date info. They'll probably stumble into this thread eventually if you guys keep it alive.

Are you a current MCG student?

I called today, and the lady there (Bonnie, I believe) said that they haven't started interviewing regular decision applicants yet. If I understood her correctly, they might have finished interviewing the ED applicants, too. So hopefully anytime now...

does anyone know what we should be putting in the space for any additional information/special experiences etc section of the application? Is that a space to explain extenuating circumstances and bad grades or should we use it as an additional opportunity to just tell stuff about ourselves? If no one knows I may have to talk to Bonnie yet again...

does anyone know what we should be putting in the space for any additional information/special experiences etc section of the application? Is that a space to explain extenuating circumstances and bad grades or should we use it as an additional opportunity to just tell stuff about ourselves? If no one knows I may have to talk to Bonnie yet again...
I think it should be used to give them some more information about yourself that might not have made it onto your AMCAS. Did you have a poor primary education? Grow up in the ghetto? Stuff like that. I would check with the admissions office to see if that would be an appropriate place to include things like bad grades, etc.

I just received an interview invitation to MCG for 10/19/2006 :D

how long after your file was 'complete' did you receive your invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not certain. I had a last minute LOR change (last week), and I got the invite today...

I submitted everything on July 20th to them.

for those of you oos'ers that got secondaries, when was your amcas compete, and when did you recieve the mcg secondary?

I'm not certain. I had a last minute LOR change (last week), and I got the invite today...

I submitted everything on July 20th to them.
Care to share your stats?

for those of you oos'ers that got secondaries, when was your amcas compete, and when did you recieve the mcg secondary?

with mcg you get a secondary as soon as you submit amcas.

I think there is some screening for OOS applicants though.

I also got invited to interview @ MCG this morning.. must be the first batch of interviews? I dont know when i was complete (one of my LORs came in late august maybe) but my secondary was submitted in July.

best of luck to all of you!

Care to share your stats?

Stats aren't very pretty: 31 / 3.35cum / 3.25bcpm
But MCG does take into account undergrad institution, and I'm an engineering major so...I'm hoping my non-statistical portions of my applications help me get over the GPA hump. Solid LORs and clinical exposure.

Congrats, guys ! :clap: :clap:
*hoping my email will come soon*

Just got my MCG invite for 10/19 and Mercer invite for 10/7. All in one day!

Scott

I want one please please please

So it looks like those people who have gotten interviews have complete files ? I just found out my premed committee is working on my letter right now.

So it looks like those people who have gotten interviews have complete files ? I just found out my premed committee is working on my letter right now.

It's interesting that you say that. I am still missing one letter. I wonder if they exchanged it for another letter that might have arrived. Hmm...

I don't think you have to have a complete file to get an interview. I believe there is a time during the interview day when you can go over your file with them to make sure it's all in order.

I don't think you have to have a complete file to get an interview. I believe there is a time during the interview day when you can go over your file with them to make sure it's all in order.

Yeah, that was LAST year. But what about the people who have just gotten interviews and have said their file is "complete" ?

so i'm way behind most of you guys. i'm filling out my secondary now. i was wondering, does anyone know what you should do if you have way more than the prerequisites? should you fill out two of the forms? i was a biochem major and took a lot of chemistry, biology and biochemistry. bonnie didn't seem to know for sure and i was just wondering if anyone else had a better idea. thx

so i'm way behind most of you guys. i'm filling out my secondary now. i was wondering, does anyone know what you should do if you have way more than the prerequisites? should you fill out two of the forms? i was a biochem major and took a lot of chemistry, biology and biochemistry. bonnie didn't seem to know for sure and i was just wondering if anyone else had a better idea. thx

I don't think they're looking for all the classes in each subject you took. I think they're just verifying that you've completed suffecient amount of each type of prerequisite. That said, I listed a few extra in the spaces provided to balance some of my lower level class B's with some upper level A's.

so the address listed for mailing on the secondary looks a little weird. can anyone verify that things will get there fine using fedex or postal service?

Yeah, that was LAST year. But what about the people who have just gotten interviews and have said their file is "complete" ?
Uhh, previous years are all that we have to go on....

so the address listed for mailing on the secondary looks a little weird. can anyone verify that things will get there fine using fedex or postal service?
It gets there fine using the postal service. But if you want to use FedEx, you will probably have to call and get the actual physical address from MCG. But why would you want to use FedEx? Just use regular mail. There's no need to overnight it there just so it can sit around in an office.

I was complete before I was invited for an interview. If you're really concerned you should just call the admissions office and ask them directly... they've always been nice on the phone in my experience...

hey everyone. I just received my interview invite yesterday and can't wait to go to Augusta for the interview. Oh yeah, my file was complete as well before I was offered an interview.

Looks like this year is different. :p
Maybe, maybe not. It just so happens that everyone on SDN who has received an email was complete. I imagine that the majority of people at the higher end of the spectrum (most likely the ones getting interviews) at this point are probably complete. But, like an earlier poster said, we won't know for sure unless someone calls.

Maybe, maybe not. It just so happens that everyone on SDN who has received an email was complete. I imagine that the majority of people at the higher end of the spectrum (most likely the ones getting interviews) at this point are probably complete. But, like an earlier poster said, we won't know for sure unless someone calls.

So are you volunteering ? :sleep:

I know for a fact that I am missing one of my physician references and got the interview.

Scott

I know for a fact that I am missing one of my physician references and got the interview.

Scott

Did you ask them about the other letter you thought they may have substituted ?

Scott
Thanks for clearing this up so I don't have to keep arguing.

It's hardly clear since that person just posted that you have to be complete before you get an interview invite !

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4213295&postcount=4
Wow, did you wait around for some evidence to try to prove me wrong?
thinking.gif

I think the fact that he said that he knew for sure that they didn't have one of his letters and he got an interview cleared it up. Something he said isn't adding up.

Have you called yet to confirm this or not? That would be definitive.

this seems silly... you have to complete your application and, regardless of what is required, it's clearly better that they review your application with all your letters of recommendation.... so just get them in ASAP and hope you get invited to interview!

i would loooove you guys if posted your time of completion with your invite info...just anxious to get this one. it'll be my first...

It's hardly clear since that person just posted that you have to be complete before you get an interview invite !

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4213295&postcount=4

Actually no,

My file has 3 graduate letters, 2 undergraduate letters, and 2/3 physician letters in it. One of the physicians that I wrote on my secondary as being the non-science letter person has not submitted his letter.

So, regardless of what has happened with my application, I was not "complete" persae until that letter is in. My guess is that I revieved an interview invite since I am a reapplicant from two years ago and that I have tons of letters in my folder including one of intent since I would like to go back to Georgia if given the opportunity.

I can tell you this though, the first meeting that we have is to go over our folder on the day of interview. Here's the agenda

8:40 AM - Applicants meet with Admission Director to review folders.

So my guess, and it's somewhat supported by evidence, is that it doesn't have to be complete. Maybe because it is missing a physician letter and not a n academic letter it was waived. Who knows. Maybe I'll find out in 18 days.

Scott

On a side note, I attended an open house this past weekend in Colorado and got to talk and ask questions to the admissions committee. In their case, the dean of admissions is the person that screens for secondaries as well as the interview invite. Then, the applicant gets interviewed. It's an "open folder" but, they have NO previous exposure to LOR's. After they rank you and give points to the interview, then the committee meets and reads the LORS and ranks you. I'm sure each school is different but, I thought it was interesting that only the dean saw your folder in it's entirety before the interview.

does that mean you sent in 7 letters? 3 letter graduate means when you were a graduate student, or written by a graduate student?

Wow, did you wait around for some evidence to try to prove me wrong?
thinking.gif

I think the fact that he said that he knew for sure that they didn't have one of his letters and he got an interview cleared it up. Something he said isn't adding up.

Have you called yet to confirm this or not? That would be definitive.

Actually, no, I did not wait around for that post. Another thread was started about MCG, which I happen to be interested in and I saw the contradiction.

Indeed, you do NOT need to have all LORs in your file before being offered an interview. I just called and asked.

does that mean you sent in 7 letters? 3 letter graduate means when you were a graduate student, or written by a graduate student?

That means I have 8 letters coming to that school. I'm a graduate student so I had one from my PI, one teacher, and the dean of my program. Then 2 undergrads and I had 3 doctors (2 chiefs) that wanted to support this endever.

Some schools, like MCW, required this many. Overkill if you ask me.

heh guys, i'm a second year at mcg and also willing to help out/answer questions where needed.
i'm pretty sure i got an interview before my app was "complete." i think i had the required 3 letters (i think it was 3), but none of them were from my "pre-med advisor." so i just had the premed advisor i had listed on my app, who had since moved on to a new university (hence no letter from her) write me a letter. the first thing we did at the interview was go over our files to see if anything was missing.
i was not edp.
good luck all,
g

Good luck, guys!!! I just went through EDP at MCG.

Let me know if you have any burning questions.

Sunnie