McGill for medical school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McEntrye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently holding acceptance to McGill Medical school, and to a UC medical school(UCI) and i am trying to decide which to go to. I would like the opinion of anyone who knows about McGill's reputation etc. vs that of Irvine.

I'm not exactly sure how to decide, personal factors, lifestyle, future success, or weather?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

McGill is a very good school as is UCI. I would go to the cheapest school that I got into. I'm almost done third year and this debt is scaring me.

I know one person who went to McGill for med school and three (including that person) who did their residencies there. It has a great reputation (known as the "Harvard of Canada"), in what is supposed to be a great city (never been there myself), and I am impressed by what great people these three are. I would consider applying for a residency there.

Sorry, but I don't know much about Irvine. I would guess it's a lot cheaper if you're a California resident. The earlier poster has a point about debt load, but happiness should be considered too.

Members don't see this ad :)
McGill's tuition is about 20000 CAD=12500 USD. I believe UC tuition is about 10000. So, in terms of price, UC is a bit cheaper, but also, at McGill cost of living will be in Canadian dollars so that will be cheaper in that regards. Montreal's also a great city, lots of culture and I had a lot of fun when i was there. So I'd pick McGill if I were you.

go to McGill:

Montreal is an awesome town, plus you will get to
experience a different culture....

In the end, it is the memories that count, and Monteal is an awesome place to have some great memories of....

I'm Canadian, so I might be a little biased, but I would say to definitely go to McGill. It has a wonderful reputation in the States -- particularly with respect to the Montreal Neurological Institute -- and is one of about 4 or 5 Canadian medical schools that American schools really know about and hold in high regard. I have a few friends who attend McGill meds and they absolutely love it. The training is solid and will serve you very well in the future. As for Montreal . . . what can I say? It has a very European atmosphere, beautiful buildings, friendly people, and excellent restaurants and shopping. It is a myth that people only speak French in Quebec. Montreal -- with the exception of a few communities -- is largely English speaking (when I was there, a lot of the people working in the shops couldn't even speak French). If you don't speak French, though, I would recommend picking up a language course so that you can get the most out of Montreal culture. Plus, although the rent is rising in Montreal, it is still very reasonable if you convert it to American dollars (it is about $600-$700 per month Canadian, so about $400 American for nice one bedroom apartments). The only catch is the weather -- it can get very cold and it snows a lot in Montreal. If you're from California, it may be a bit of an adjustment, but I'm sure you'll get used to it. Good luck!