McGill waitlist- questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meshuga3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the McGill waitlist works? I just got placed on the International applicants' list. I'm wondering three things: 1) How big is the waitlist, usually- does McGill waitlist everyone, or do they actually give out rejections? 2) Is the waitlist ranked? and 3) How/when does it move? Does it move all at once after May 15th, or do people get pulled off the waitlist as accepted candidates turn down their spots? Any help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I think I met you at the international student interview (Friday the 18th, right?)
I got waitlisted as well. Do you know if it's a good idea to send supplementary material in hopes of swaying your case?

Michel explained this all on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been waitlisted as well. Should we be sending anything in ? Does anyone know if they sent out rejections at all ?

whoa, sorry highonlyfe5...did you just want to make a snappy comment, or actually help people on this forum? if michel explained it all on interview day why does it bug you so much to share the info?

Congrats on the waitlists guys. McGill does give out rejections for the international spots. I don't have much info on the waitlist movement for the international cohort though. GL.

I was there on the 21st, actually, so I didn't meet anyone on the 18th. In response to highonfe5, if Michel explained all of this, I don't remember. Would you mind elaborating on what was said to your group?

Thanks a lot.

hey guys, i apologize, i thought I had typed in more than just that snippet...which, coincidentally, came off snippety. I'm not very good at posting on these forums, so i may have accidentally deleted the explanation.

I was going to say: Michel explained this to us on the 21st: there are a specific number of people placed on the wait list. When someone finally declines their acceptance, he just moves down the list to the next person in the order. There is a list of ranked applicants, from what I remember him saying, and they just keep moving along until school begins and the class is full. But, we may not hear until July or August that we could be accepted. He also said at one point they allotted a particular number of seats, only to have someone back out last minute and ended up near the rejections since so many people accepted other offers.

good luck yallz. I'm not going to bother calling the office asking for my rank, I feel like that's just being pushy. I'd rather be surprised at an acceptance than sit around waiting everyday if I were to find out I am number one on the list, only to have no one decline the offer.

Plus - im praying i end up in israel for medical school. Montreal would be fun, but man, tel aviv...

i apologize for the earlier comment highonlyfe5. it just amazes me how cutthroat and heartless some of these premed folks are, but it's wonderful to hear that you are not one of them!! i wish you luck wherever you end up studying!

Hey you guys I got waitlisted also!
I also know another candidate who got waitlisted.

Regarding the rankings, they can't be changed and their own website explains:
http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/applying/offers_en.htm

The only thing I wasn't sure about was weather they only give 9 offers of acceptance initially or more. I think I heard Michel say they only give 9 at first and move down the list.

I can't believe they only take 9 out of 48 interviewees, usually it's like 50% in US schools, no?

Well I hope we all get in!
Keep us posted...

You say the rankings can't be changed....so no use in sending a letter of interest/intent?

I remember Michel saying "rankings will not be changed so don't send any letters of intent or recommendation". I'm not sure how valid that is though. He said the waitlist usually moves down a couple of people. I just spoke with the admissions office and they've only given 9 acceptance offers, not more.

Did anyone get off the waitlist, or hear anything from McGill ?

I got in off the waitlist.
Did any one else?

I just got in too, and I am really excited about it. It's going to be awesome. Do you have any plans to work on your french, tritone? I've got to do some research on it, but I am looking into it. PM me if you figure out anything interesting about going to school there.

did any of you international applicants apply to the Universite de Sherbrooke?

I got in also!
I wasn't aware international students could apply to Sherbrooke?
I suggest checking out YMCA for French classes...