McLennan County Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have experience with the McLennan County Family Medicine Residency in Waco,Texas? Any current or past residents with advice? Are there any other family med. residencies near Waco,Texas?
thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a very solid program from what I recall. I rotated there as a med student a little over three years ago and I would call it one of the best, if not the best FM residency in Texas.

Hopefully, someone can give you a more recent opinion. The only other "nearby" residencies are in Tyler and Temple. A little farther out include one in Austin and quite a few in the DFW area.

Newdoc2002 said:
It's a very solid program from what I recall. I rotated there as a med student a little over three years ago and I would call it one of the best, if not the best FM residency in Texas.

Hopefully, someone can give you a more recent opinion. The only other "nearby" residencies are in Tyler and Temple. A little farther out include one in Austin and quite a few in the DFW area.

Its an excellent, unopposed FP program where they handle everything. Their main hospital is really nice. I also rotated through there as a student and the residents were all sharp. If I where to do FP I would want to go their for training. I think Texas A & M might have some training programs near temple. And there plenty in Dallas and Austin. The JPS program in FW is a really strong 'super doc' program.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Peeshee said:
Hi, does anyone have experience with the McLennan County Family Medicine Residency in Waco,Texas? Any current or past residents with advice? Are there any other family med. residencies near Waco,Texas?
thanks a lot!

Currently I'm a second year resident here in Waco. Three big factors went into choosing Waco as my top pick---training, reputation, and location. Being from Texas and wanting to do rural medicine here, I wanted to train somewhere which would prepare me for the small town do-it-all practice I have in mind.

A few things:

PROCEDURES
I was looking back through my procedures, and realized that I have 350 separate procedures. Among others, this includes 93 vag deliveries, 37 sections, 40 circumcisions, and a whopping 111 colonoscopies. Keep in mind I just finished my first year, and have 2 more to go.

ATMOSPHERE
Waco's a laid-back town, which fits my personality. The residents here get along great together, and our families spend quality time nearly weekly with each other. The faculty are top-notch with real-life practice experience, not only around Texas, but internationally with medical mission work.

FQHC
Our program is a Federally-Qualified Health Center, and as a result enjoys benefits such as federally-covered malpractice and grants to keep us on the cutting edge of technology. As a result we will be financially stable for a long time, and have been expanding in the last few years with more on the way.

In short, you can tell I love it here. For more info visit our website at http://www.wacofpc.org/. Even better, come rotate with us to see first-hand.

stapedius said:
Currently I'm a second year resident here in Waco. Three big factors went into choosing Waco as my top pick---training, reputation, and location. Being from Texas and wanting to do rural medicine here, I wanted to train somewhere which would prepare me for the small town do-it-all practice I have in mind.

A few things:

PROCEDURES
I was looking back through my procedures, and realized that I have 350 separate procedures. Among others, this includes 93 vag deliveries, 37 sections, 40 circumcisions, and a whopping 111 colonoscopies. Keep in mind I just finished my first year, and have 2 more to go.

ATMOSPHERE
Waco's a laid-back town, which fits my personality. The residents here get along great together, and our families spend quality time nearly weekly with each other. The faculty are top-notch with real-life practice experience, not only around Texas, but internationally with medical mission work.

FQHC
Our program is a Federally-Qualified Health Center, and as a result enjoys benefits such as federally-covered malpractice and grants to keep us on the cutting edge of technology. As a result we will be financially stable for a long time, and have been expanding in the last few years with more on the way.

In short, you can tell I love it here. For more info visit our website at http://www.wacofpc.org/. Even better, come rotate with us to see first-hand.

I have to admit that if I were to choose a program simply on its reputation and on the caliber of the residents I have met, this program would get top Texas honors. But like most people, geography plays a huge role for me now that we are coming down to the wire. And I am sorry, but I have very few nice things to say about Waco, Texas. The argument is always made that the cost of living is spectacular, but I can't imagine living in a worse place. Its not north enough to have a winter like DFW, and its not far south enough for a quick ocean or border trip. The public schools are among the worst in the country, and the only college there is a Baptist Baylor. I would never allow my kids to attend a college that did not have an "open mind" concept, and that is not what Baylor is. If you could pack up the residents and the faculty and program to move to a nice place, then I think you might be able to sell this program to me. Otherwise it will just be one of those places that I apply to on the off chance that they blow my socks off enough at the interview to make me consider living in this place.

One other thing I have eluded to before is that the program is just a bit too outgoing with their religious zeal. Within 5 minutes of hanging out with these residents, you could tell that they were all very caring and compassionate people, but they did not hide their religion in their back pocket. I think some of them need to realize that we work in a profession that cares for many different religions and people, and that it can blurr the lines of professionalism when you are too open about it. Now don't start throwing right wing bombs at me yet, because I was at church this morning as usual for a Sunday and most of my church's congregation is rather middle of the road. We go to a "Bible" church that is not known for its evangelical flare. I personally could feel comfortable around people of any religion, but I wonder what non-Christians and agnostics would think of being in this type of environment. Its just something to think about. Overall, from my research, I would give the program a 4/5 stars, which easily compares to any other Texas program.

corpsman-why bother interviewing in texas? we both know you are going to match to ventura county......

This program sounds like the EXACT type of program I am looking for. Only problem is it's in Waco. I spent 4+ years at Baylor and I have NO desire to return to Waco. Anyone (especially current residents) know of any similar programs in Texas? Any insight on the San Antonio residency programs? Thanks!

For those of you who have been to Waco or lived in Waco, how would you describe the city? It seems like many people like the residency program there but not the city.

emedpa said:
corpsman-why bother interviewing in texas? we both know you are going to match to ventura county......

Seems I have some financial reasons to stay in Texas now E. Staying in Texas will give me the ability to keep a close eye on some investments that have really come to fruition this last year. The dividends will allow many a trip to Cali where I can pretend to be one of those Californians...several times per year! And plus, I found a really good program close to my home and family. The kids and wife are thrilled, and I am happy with the decision now. All that travelling to Cali for nuttin!!

Congrats On Your Good Fortune In Finding A Local Program That Has All The Right Stuff-e

Stapedius, It seems your procedure amount list is far outside the norm even for Waco. Would you please tell us how you managed to get all these procedures in your first year? Were these observe, assisting or primary performer?

Thanks.

A few things on my procedures.

OB/Gyn:
During the first year, our clinics are about half OB. I live literally one block away from the hospital, so I make it to nearly all of my continuity deliveries/sections. I'm one of the ones who may just be crazy enough to do OB in rural Texas, so I'm pretty aggressive. I just went over 100 total vag deliveries last month. Also, when I posted the original post, I was halfway through my third OB month (during second year).
As for C-sections, I just went over 40 total. I've got the last 5 as primary, and the first 35 as first-assist. Once you hit second year and the OBs know you're competent and interested in OB, they let you do as much as you want. We've got 4 OB/Gyns on faculty (they actually work for the residency program like the other attendings) whose sole job is to teach FP residents (us) all about OB and Gyn. I've also counted 9 colposcopies.

Colonoscopies:
Let me say I plan on doing scopes in my future practice, and my case is sort-of unique. We do 2 surgery months our first year, and so in any given month there are 2 surgery interns. The standard is one general surgery month and one colorectal surgery month. If the resident opposite you does not want to do a colorectal month, (opting instead to do two general surgery months), then first choice for the colorectal month goes to upper levels, and then to the other surgery intern. So I lucked out and got two colorectal months.
Now it just so happens that the colorectal surgeon we work with is on the board of directors for our health center (which the residency program is under), and he loves teaching. Once you show competency with steering the scope and such as assistant (took me about 25 or so), he lets you do all you want (including biopsies, polypectomies, and I've even tattooed once). I've also gone on a few Saturdays to scope with him.

Hospital Procedures:
It's probably the same for us as any residency; the interns on call get first dibs on any procedures that need done, supervised by the upper-levels. My numbers for these are probably more on the average to low side: 12 LPs, 14 central lines, 2 thoracenteses, and 4 paracenteses. Circumcisions you can also do for your continuity patients, in addition to the ones you get on your Pedi months.

So as you might tell, I'm pretty procedure-oriented. A couple of my classmates have similar numbers (except scopes), and a few of my classmates don't have near as many procedures, with the rest falling in between. It's pretty much like anywhere else: you get what you make of it and can be as motivated or unmotivated as you want.

As far as Waco goes, it's all a perspective thing. I've grown up all my life in Gilmer, TX, population about 5,000. Needless to say, Waco and the surrounding area is pretty big in my eyes. I mean there's a movie theater and zoo! Seriously, folks from metropolitan areas would find it too small, and that's definitely a big consideration when choosing where to train. I can't offer any advice except to say that my family and I love it here, and you should just come visit to see if it fits you.

And one last thing regarding the "Christian atmosphere." I grew up in church, and consider myself a Christian, but I am in no way "religious." Some of my classmates are like me, some are more religious. In no way do I feel pressured by any of them. That, too, is a personal decision to make, and I would tell you that no matter where you go, it's going to be similar; some folks are like you and some have other views on religion. And politics. And sports, and food, and hobbies for that matter. My advice there is to go where you feel most comfortable.