McMaster vs. UBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were accepted to both, where would you go?

What's the deal with McMaster's 3 year program? Are their students ready for residency after only 3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I keep seem to be replying with the same response. You should try checking out this Canadian message board if you haven't already:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/

There is a huge difference in curriculum (not just 3 vs 4 years and no MCAT at Mac). I didn't apply to Mac, but from my understanding it is 100% PBL and self-directed learning. I've met a few residents from Mac and they all seemed good.

If I were accepted to both, I would choose UBC. I'm not a huge fan of Vancouver, but it's better than Hamilton and I don't think I would like Mac's curriculum (but that's just my own learning style... I would have needed some lectures. I think a mix of lectures and PBL is a good combination instead of 100% of one).

Best of luck :)

If you were accepted to both, where would you go?

What's the deal with McMaster's 3 year program? Are their students ready for residency after only 3 years?

Likewise I have found my Mac colleagues very competent - we had a visiting student from Mac on our IMU service and our staff would make the stereotypical sarcastic (but good humoured) joke about Mac residents, but at the end of the day, he surprised us and our staff a few times!

U of C also has a 3 year program. Additionally, Harvard and the University of Sydney in Australia have adopted much of the PBL design created by Mac - Mac have to be doing something right.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really does depend on your style of learning - they are two completely different programs. If you are an independent learner, motivated and discplined enough to do it the Mac way (small group based learning, independent study, 1-2 lectures a week), then go for it!
Mac is very careful selecting their students based on that criteria - they usually like more mature students. Hamilton isn't exactly the nicest city though. Vancouver is a great city, however I have lived here for 9 years, and work in health care, with many UBC students who complain about the program.
Some people say Mac produces some of the best doctors (becuase they are life long learners), however I have also heard they produce some of the worst (limited amt. taught - it is up to the students - they feel they teach what is NB, not unnecessary BS). You get out of it, what you put into it, I guess.
Completely different programs - I know what program I would pick - without a doubt! But it is a personal preference.

is this even a question...defintiely UBC. I'm just kidding (check my signature)...like everyone has said...it's all personal. At the outset of this process...I pulled my applications right before I sent them to Calgary and Mac simply because I knew 3-years was not for me...if I'm moving away from home...I'd like to see them more than those prgms offered. Plus..PBL sounded really new and I'd also heard a lot of sketcy things about Mac med students (from other med students and practicing physicians) so...ya...u get the idea