MCO Apartment living.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten much response on the other forums...

Any MCO students that can recommend a decent apartment in Toledo, Ohio?

Thanks

-Tom

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Tom,

It depends what you're willing to spend. You should check out apartmentguide.com for a list of prices and amenities.

Some of the nicer and popular ones are:
(about 10 minutes from the school either way are the nicer places)
Cloisters/Kensington
Country Club
HeatherGate Club
Orchard Lakes

Some cheaper places that are also popular are:
BriarCliff Woods
Pine Valley Apts

It's pretty easy to find an apartment up here and there are tons of complexes. I came up and found my apartment in one day. If you have specific questions about areas or apt complexes let me know.

Tom,
Last summer I stayed at a place called the Park Lane Apartments. It's on 23rd Street at the intersection of Monroe and Collingwood in the Old West End near Downtown. I know you're gonna be moving up there in may, and if you haven't found an apartment for the long-haul these would be worth checking out for the short-term. Most of their residents are older b/c they used to have an assisted living aspect to the place, but they've dropped it recently. Now they're getting a lot of nursing students that stay there b/c the school's right across the road. Also, they have some rotating osteopathic students staying there because they rotate through St. V's which is a few blocks away. Anyway, the management was really willing to work with me on price and lease stuff b/c I was only going to be there for a 10 weeks.

I wouldn't want to stay there for four years b/c it's a good 20 minute drive to MCO with morning traffic and the same in the afternoon. But they are good to students who just need to stay for a month or two. You could stay there and search for other apartments if you had to.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, here's a helpful website when you're searching for apartments. This describes about 25 neighborhoods in Toledo proper and gives things like history, average income, and population. The data is a little old being from the 1990 census, but still will give you a relative idea of things.

Toledo Neighborhood Map

I interviewed in Toledo and stayed with a student host. He had a pretty good setup; you could see campus from his apartment, and he and a roommate split the rent which was like $500 a month total. The funny part was that we drove to the school, even though it only took two minutes to walk there.

Thank you everyone. I'm unfortunately moving in kinda blind (have only one day to tour an apartment and put down a deposit for move-in the following week. Sadly, I currently live out of the area, so I'm kinda depending on local students, and even the enterprise rental car guy to give me an idea of a good place to live.

I want to keep the rent around $450 or lower per month. Primary concerns: Close to campus, somewhat quiet, safe neighborhood, quality management, won't get dinged with stupid extra fees ambiguously laid out in the rental contract. Just your general place to sleep, where I won't have to worry about cold showers, exploding heaters, break-ins, disrupted sleep, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I plan on putting the deposit down on May 1st, and moving in on May 17th! :eek: PhD Summer rotation before I start medical school classes in late august.

Bump...

Any apartment complexes in the MCO area I should avoid completely?

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Completely avoid the apartments right in front of the school near Byrne...they are not very safe and I have heard some scary things that have happened there. The school is safe, but the apartments closest (ie. within walking distance) are not that great.

Have you considered rooming with another student? There are always signs posted at the school of med students, PT, public health, or grad students looking for roomates...you might look into that. The School of Medicine sends out a list of students looking for roomates in June when they're almost done with admissions. You could definitely find a much nicer place for that price or less if you had a roomate. Otherwise...my friend lives in BriarCliff Woods and pays 450/mnth...it's not the best place to live, but fairly safe.

Dreamin said:
Hi Tom,

Completely avoid the apartments right in front of the school near Byrne...they are not very safe and I have heard some scary things that have happened there. The school is safe, but the apartments closest (ie. within walking distance) are not that great.

Have you considered rooming with another student? There are always signs posted at the school of med students, PT, public health, or grad students looking for roomates...you might look into that. The School of Medicine sends out a list of students looking for roomates in June when they're almost done with admissions. You could definitely find a much nicer place for that price or less if you had a roomate. Otherwise...my friend lives in BriarCliff Woods and pays 450/mnth...it's not the best place to live, but fairly safe.

Awesome! I think I have a fairly good idea of some of the places I will visit now.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of my own crap that potential roommate might not have space for. Hmmm... although, it would be cool to have a friend to talk to.

I'm a pretty peacable guy in his mid-20's looking for down-to-earth roommate (must be male). :laugh:

I've been all over the MCO website, but have been unable to find a forum that I could peruse, or a listing for potential apartments and/or roommates. Any ideas?

At least I know to avoid the apartments within the immediate vicinity. Thank you so much for that tidbit of advice!

Well definitely check out www.apartmentguide.com for apartments in the area. As far as a roomate goes...you could call the office of admissions and see if any other new MD/Phd students are interested in having a roomate...since they may have their names...but other than that I'm not sure since they won't have a list of potential roomates until June.

You could also try stopping by the med school when you're up here. Check out the bulletin boards around the MedI & II classrooms...there are usually many postings for someone looking for a roomate. If you have more questions you can just pm me. I need to get off SDN and study!

Good Luck!

MCO has a website for roommates, real estate, and other classifieds, but you have to use a password and username to get there. I've only been on it a couple times, so i don't know how well it's used.

Price, amenities, location, and 4 suggestions from current MCO students via this forum and email have resulted in my decision for the Cambridge Woods Apartment complex.

Thank you all for helping me with this difficult and somewhat blind apartment move-in. I'm normally more methodical about decisions as big as this, however a 2600 mile separation from Toledo makes it kinda difficult. Again, thanks for everyone's opinions, observations and time. :)

-Tom

How much would the rent be at Cambridge Woods for a 1-bedroom? And how far from the campus is it? Walking distance or is a car a must?

bruinteg said:
How much would the rent be at Cambridge Woods for a 1-bedroom? And how far from the campus is it? Walking distance or is a car a must?

680 square feet 1Bed/1Bath, I pay $465 a month with all utilities AC, heat, water, etc. (except electricity) included. I pay $20 extra a month for my cat to stay with me ;) .

It is less than a mile from the campus. However, this past week with the weather as crazy as it has been, makes me drive more than walk. Pretty much all the necessary amenities to live life are within a few miles from MCO and the apartment complex. It's extremely quiet in the apartment complex, as they have highly inforced noise rule. 1 warning the second warning is the notice to leave at the end of the month. Makes it nice for studying and catching zzzZZZzzzs.

So far, I have been doing my Summer rotation, and have enjoyed the campus. And feel extremely comfortable living with additional financial aid from student loans to pay off accrued credit card debt from Under-grad.

It's pretty cheap to live here. Perfect for studying, not much night life, but that's what I need from grad/prof school.