MCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, was scrolling through AACOMAS today and realized that Rocky Vista's new Montana campus was on the list to where we could submit applications. Has anyone done this? Did not notice a thread for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't recommend applying to a pioneer class of a for-profit school in a low population state that now has TWO brand new DO schools which can't possible provide adequate rotation slots.

Both RVU and Touro opened schools there because frankly, the AOA and COCA saw an easy cash cow.

Reactions: 5 users
I can't recommend applying to a pioneer class of a for-profit school in a low population state that now has TWO brand new DO schools which can't possible provide adequate rotation slots.

Both RVU and Touro opened schools there because frankly, the AOA and COCA saw an easy cash cow.
Touro did as well? Did not know this actually

Members don't see this ad :)
...And the Program Director and other staff at the Billings Clinic were not supportive of the new RVU Campus in Montana. So where will the students rotate at and/or match? It might be like Idaho.com rotating students in Corinth, MS.

Reactions: 1 user
St. Vincent HealthCare is supportive, and Billings Clinic is opposed. After that, Brooklyn? Psych in Louisiana? They emailed students about both these "opportunities." Optional for now, but will they be forcing people when they need to be placed somewhere? RVU expanded both CO and Utah classes for class of 2025, so they start rotations next year, Billings will start rotations in 2025.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like the AOA is taking the NP approach of simply flooding the med school "market" with DO schools, like how there's as many NP schools as McDonald's.

• Sad
ANOTHER one? Stupid as hell
There's no shortage! It's a redistribution problem! Just go on ZocDoc, and search a medium sized city. HUNDREDS of docs at your weekly beck and call. Then on zocdoc, search for PCP in the whole state of Arkansas. ZERO docs. Why? Cus it's sucks to live there. If you trained more docs, all you're doing is devaluating the entire profession.

You need to pay the docs MUCH MORE to relocate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the AOA is taking the NP approach of simply flooding the med school "market" with DO schools, like how there's as many NP schools as McDonald's.
I hope this sheds light on this situation. Does the AOA hate new schools? No, probably not, because more schools and graduates would mean more possible membership in the future, but that hasn't panned out that way so far. I have seen no evidence at all that the AOA is out actively recruiting people to open schools though. If they were, then maybe stating the AOA is trying to flood the market might be true. Remember, the AOA and COCA are not the ones opening the schools. COCA is a council within the AOA organization structure that only has the ability to say that a school meets a standard or not. It is not in their purpose to weigh in on the true merit of the application. If a school provided what is believed to be true data, they have no choice but to accept that application into the accreditation pathway. They are actually trying to be stringent on applicants for new schools. Many of the newer applications have seen significant delays because COCA has forced them to go back and improve things that are not meeting the standards. When a school comes back with data showing correction of the issue, not much else can be done. The real issue is all the institutions and corporate entities that see this as a opportunity. They will state it is due to supply and demand and they are filling a need, but we need to understand the need is in primary care but the desire is in sub specialization for students. All these combine to create what we all see as a system that can not sustain the current pathway it is on. All sides must step back and address this from a rational standpoint.

I hope this sheds light on this situation. Does the AOA hate new schools? No, probably not, because more schools and graduates would mean more possible membership in the future, but that hasn't panned out that way so far. I have seen no evidence at all that the AOA is out actively recruiting people to open schools though. If they were, then maybe stating the AOA is trying to flood the market might be true. Remember, the AOA and COCA are not the ones opening the schools. COCA is a council within the AOA organization structure that only has the ability to say that a school meets a standard or not. It is not in their purpose to weigh in on the true merit of the application. If a school provided what is believed to be true data, they have no choice but to accept that application into the accreditation pathway. They are actually trying to be stringent on applicants for new schools. Many of the newer applications have seen significant delays because COCA has forced them to go back and improve things that are not meeting the standards. When a school comes back with data showing correction of the issue, not much else can be done. The real issue is all the institutions and corporate entities that see this as a opportunity. They will state it is due to supply and demand and they are filling a need, but we need to understand the need is in primary care but the desire is in sub specialization for students. All these combine to create what we all see as a system that can not sustain the current pathway it is on. All sides must step back and address this from a rational standpoint.
That AOA is the professional leadership organization of the entire osteopathic enterprise. They openly support the rapid expansion of new schools and are actively driving the degree into the ground. The corruption is astounding.

You are nothing more than an AOA schill, as evidenced by your numerous posts defending the corrupt DO organizations.

The rational standpoint is to abolish the teaching of OMM forever at the medical school level, mandate every student take and pass USMLE, and to close down every school that cannot meet at least 80-90% of LCME requirements (exceptions for the research requirements and some of the ones on funding). And yet the AOA continues to claim DOs are somehow different but should be treated the same to MDs. If they are different no they shouldn’t, because their (the AOA’s) requirements are a lesser standard, and if they are the same there is no need for the DO pathway to exist.

The AOA has single handedly ruined the DO degree.

• Love
That AOA is the professional leadership organization of the entire osteopathic enterprise. They openly support the rapid expansion of new schools and are actively driving the degree into the ground. The corruption is astounding.

You are nothing more than an AOA schill, as evidenced by your numerous posts defending the corrupt DO organizations.

The rational standpoint is to abolish the teaching of OMM forever at the medical school level, mandate every student take and pass USMLE, and to close down every school that cannot meet at least 80-90% of LCME requirements (exceptions for the research requirements and some of the ones on funding). And yet the AOA continues to claim DOs are somehow different but should be treated the same to MDs. If they are different no they shouldn’t, because their (the AOA’s) requirements are a lesser standard, and if they are the same there is no need for the DO pathway to exist.

AOA: "More DOs good!"

• Haha

I am sorry for whatever turned you so venomously against the profession that gave you the opportunity to become a physician. I would like to think there is part of you that we can get to rejoin the profession, as you do keep the DO in your name. I am actually not much of a fan of the AOA either, but I have a rational freethinking mind and look deeper into issues than following the herd and believing everything I read, particularly in online forums. I am also involved in the profession vigorously trying to make a difference and create changes from within. Is expansion a negative? maybe, but there are also good things associated with expansion (on the MD side as well, which IS expanding too this is not isolated to DOs).

Did that expansion allow students such as you a chance to realize your dream of becoming a physician and getting to a surgery residency, absolutely, so I think that is a good thing. Are there people at these newer schools that are busting their backsides to help every student achieve in their education and profession, absolutely. You need to take a look at the all aspects with an open mind, so please return to getting involved in the profession, voice your opinion, advocate for change. Don't simply be another "Let's go BRANDON!" person who isn't sure why they are mad and attacks someone for bringing other thoughts into a conversation. I need more students/residents/colleagues like you to help spread the truth about medicine and osteopathic medicine, the good, the bad and the ugly. But with fully informed decisions and platforms that will allow for real change and progress within the profession. That is why I am on here now, I will definitely share the bad, like how the single accreditation pathway sure seemed like an AOA power grab to force DO's to get osteopathic board certification (at the time linked to AOA membership). That is a BAD BAD look on the AOA's part, especially veiled as a "we have heard the students voices and support them in a simplified GME process" approach they took. So I stand by my other info, the AOA sure doesn't hate more schools, because it does mean more potential members, but the AOA is not the ones opening the schools and COCA, by way of the US Dept of Education, is bound to assess applications as yes/no to whether the school meets the standards and elements. Part of that application is documentation of "need" or justification for the school, as required elements. Until something is done to change that, the profession is somewhat standing with its hands tied to limit growth.

I am sorry for whatever turned you so venomously against the profession that gave you the opportunity to become a physician. I would like to think there is part of you that we can get to rejoin the profession, as you do keep the DO in your name. I am actually not much of a fan of the AOA either, but I have a rational freethinking mind and look deeper into issues than following the herd and believing everything I read, particularly in online forums. I am also involved in the profession vigorously trying to make a difference and create changes from within. Is expansion a negative? maybe, but there are also good things associated with expansion (on the MD side as well, which IS expanding too this is not isolated to DOs).

Did that expansion allow students such as you a chance to realize your dream of becoming a physician and getting to a surgery residency, absolutely, so I think that is a good thing. Are there people at these newer schools that are busting their backsides to help every student achieve in their education and profession, absolutely. You need to take a look at the all aspects with an open mind, so please return to getting involved in the profession, voice your opinion, advocate for change. Don't simply be another "Let's go BRANDON!" person who isn't sure why they are mad and attacks someone for bringing other thoughts into a conversation. I need more students/residents/colleagues like you to help spread the truth about medicine and osteopathic medicine, the good, the bad and the ugly. But with fully informed decisions and platforms that will allow for real change and progress within the profession. That is why I am on here now, I will definitely share the bad, like how the single accreditation pathway sure seemed like an AOA power grab to force DO's to get osteopathic board certification (at the time linked to AOA membership). That is a BAD BAD look on the AOA's part, especially veiled as a "we have heard the students voices and support them in a simplified GME process" approach they took. So I stand by my other info, the AOA sure doesn't hate more schools, because it does mean more potential members, but the AOA is not the ones opening the schools and COCA, by way of the US Dept of Education, is bound to assess applications as yes/no to whether the school meets the standards and elements. Part of that application is documentation of "need" or justification for the school, as required elements. Until something is done to change that, the profession is somewhat standing with its hands tied to limit growth.

Lol your blatant schilling for the AOA is noted.

• Haha
  • Dislike
1658950731521.png

1658950743249.png
1658950753621.png
1658950773313.png

• Haha