MCPHS Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by fe2692, 10.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fe2692

fe2692

Pre-Optometry
    Did anyone interview at MCPHS? If so, how was the interview and what was the essay question like?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. majdnaji

majdnaji 2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I recently got back from MCPHS and I got my acceptance letter a week later. The interview was really laid back and stress free. The students on campus and the staff were really kind and friendly. As for the essay question, they had a list of questions you can choose from and write a paragraph about the topic. I can't remember the questions, but its nothing to be worried about. They just want to see if you can write a sentence with punctuation and thats what they told me on the interview.

4. Xtermination

Xtermination OptOHopE2014 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Hi,

Do they send interview invitation via email or postal mail? Thanks

5. majdnaji

majdnaji 2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    They send interviews via postal mail

6. ac12345

ac12345

Pre-Optometry
    What kind of questions do they ask? About how long is the interview? I have to set up an appt for an interview with them, just got a letter in the mail to give them a call and get that set up.

7. kayrayy

kayrayy

Optometry Student
    Lol just replied to you on the other thread but I'll answer this too altho it's a little while since my interview.
    They ask basic questions -- why optometry? where do you see yourself working (private practice vs research, etc)?. They asked me "If you had to explain optometry to someone who had never heard of it, how would you explain it?" It is also an open interview so they'll ask you anything about your grades, work history, etc. I had to explain a few missing pre-reqs (which I was in the middle of filling). It's really laid back and easy, they're just trying to get to know you as a person. They love when you ask them questions, as well.
    There's a 30min writing sample at the beginning -- prompts are given. From what I remember there's questions like "If your life was a movie, what genre would it be and which actor would play you?" and generic ones like "Explain one obstacle you've overcome in a professional setting." I think they just want to see how you formulate an argument and get your point across.
    There's also a tour of the facilities which takes a little while.
    Overall, it's a few hours (I think they give you the times when they set you up). I interviewed with 3 other people and we all got in.
    Good luck :) Maybe see ya next year lol

Xtermination likes this.
  8. Xtermination

Xtermination OptOHopE2014 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Hello, how long the writing part has to be? One or two paragraphs or as much as it takes to prove the point?

9. kayrayy

kayrayy

Optometry Student
    I think they gave us 2 pages front and back but it's as much as you wanna write down in 30min. I think mine was like a page and a half. No real limit.

10. optomaci26

optomaci26

Pre-Optometry
    Hey!

What time did the interviews end by?

11. Pre-optometry student

Pre-optometry student

Pre-Optometry
    I just received an interview from MCPHS and I was just wondering about the interview process? Also they sent me a prerequisite work sheet along with the letter about my interview. Is that normal?

12. Pre-optometry student

Pre-optometry student

Pre-Optometry
    Also, I am really nervous about there being an essay component to the interview.

About the ads