MCPHS optometry living in Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be attending the optometry school at MCPHS next year and I am wondering how bad the winter in Worcester is? Dose the snow make it difficult for students to get to class? I am hoping to live off-campus so I have not put down a deposit for on-campus housing yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Worcester is the second largest city in Massachusetts after Boston. Cities don't just shut down in the winter unless unusual forecasted weather. City services should still allow feasible transportation in normal cases. If city services cannot, then the school would close for a snow day.

Well I was hoping to get some advice from currents students. I am planning to have my own car and I am really only interested about getting to the school in the morning during the winter months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here (lived in New England my whole life). We had about 4(?) snow days last winter, because it was the worst winter on record, I believe. We had one snow storm with 35+ inches of snow - so obv the school shut down. Took the city about a day or so to dig out and then back to normal. Most days it's fine, though. Just know how to drive in the snow, or you'll learn lol. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

I have a question, I had an interview with an admission staff member and not the faculty member. Are they doing this because they are full? or did anyone interview with the faculty member for this fall 2016?

Current student here (lived in New England my whole life). We had about 4(?) snow days last winter, because it was the worst winter on record, I believe. We had one snow storm with 35+ inches of snow - so obv the school shut down. Took the city about a day or so to dig out and then back to normal. Most days it's fine, though. Just know how to drive in the snow, or you'll learn lol. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Hey! I saw your post about going to MCPHS and was wondering do you like it there and if you knew anything about the accreditation status? I am finding online that their accreditation is flagged until the next review in 2018.

Last edited: