Mcphs optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcoli002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone
i was wondering if anyone that has been accepted to MCPHS could tell me how the program is and what their OAT scores were.....im feeling really frustrated right now because i've taken the OAT 4 times and i still have't gotten the 300 that usually optometry school requires.......i don't know what to do!!! i really wish i didn't have to take the OAT again.....i just want to start optometry school and study what i really like....

Members don't see this ad.

4 times? Take shnurek advice and don't look back.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ these are the best pieces of advice you're going to get at this point in your life.

Hey lcoli002, I'm a student at MCPHS. We don't start classes for a another week and a half, so I can't comment on the specifics yet, but all the faculty and staff are nice and the program is well-organized.

My OAT scores weren't the best either, but that's only a small portion of the application. It's obvious you have the drive that is necessary to be a successful optometrist! It's definitely worth applying to MCPHS because not only does the program have great people involved, but they'll make their admission decision based on if you have the skills and personality to make a successful optometrist, not just if you can get a certain number of questions right on the OAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey lcoli002, I'm a student at MCPHS. We don't start classes for a another week and a half, so I can't comment on the specifics yet, but all the faculty and staff are nice and the program is well-organized.

My OAT scores weren't the best either, but that's only a small portion of the application. It's obvious have the drive that is necessary to be a successful optometrist! It's definitely worth applying to MCPHS because not only does the program have great people involved, but they'll make their admission decision based on if you have the skills and personality to make a successful optometrist not just if you can get a certain number of questions right on the OAT.

Yes, its all about personality and "skills". That choroidal melanoma that you mistook as a nevus. Ya that's OK because you will use your "social skills" to tell the patient that everything will be OK and you can comfort them. About 30-50% of patients with choroidal melanoma will die within 10 years. Ya that's no biggie.

Yes, its all about personality and "skills". That choroidal melanoma that you mistook as a nevus. Ya that's OK because you will use your "social skills" to tell the patient that everything will be OK and you can comfort them. About 30-50% of patients with choroidal melanoma will die within 10 years. Ya that's no biggie.
It's important to have a balance of social tact (bedside manner) and knowledge. The two are not mutually exclusive. Good luck on the tact part.

It's important to have a balance of social tact (bedside manner) and knowledge. The two are not mutually exclusive. Good luck on the tact part.

Ya, I'll take medical knowledge from my Doctor over bedside manner any day. Nurses can do the bedside manner part. Sure its better to have both as a Doctor but you can't always have everything.

Socially awkward, spent all life studying MD > Socially proficient, spent a lot of time partying MD or DO or OD or whatever

That's why I think its pretty hilarious that the MCAT got changed. Not only did they make the exam like 5-6 hours but they put a bunch of pseudoscientific sociology and psychology on there.

You can go to the social doc, I'll go to the awkward nerd doc. To each their own.

Ya, I'll take medical knowledge from my Doctor over bedside manner any day. Nurses can do the bedside manner part. Sure its better to have both as a Doctor but you can't always have everything.
Yeah, I guess you can't.

Yeah, I guess you can't.

Hey, when I worked as a tech I never got any complaints from patients to the Doctor. I got nothing but compliments. Just because I am harsh on the internet to some people that don't share my views doesn't mean I compromise on giving patients the best care possible and making them feel as comfortable as possible.

ya, i'll take medical knowledge from my doctor over bedside manner any day. Nurses can do the bedside manner part. Sure its better to have both as a doctor but you can't always have everything.

Socially awkward, spent all life studying md > socially proficient, spent a lot of time partying md or do or od or whatever

that's why i think its pretty hilarious that the mcat got changed. Not only did they make the exam like 5-6 hours but they put a bunch of pseudoscientific sociology and psychology on there.

You can go to the social doc, i'll go to the awkward nerd doc. To each their own.

+10000

Hi I'm a current student at MCPHS optometry and although I agree with Shnurek to an extent, I also know that some people just don't test well. If you are driven and motivated to become an optometrist, make sure you have experience. Show that although academically you aren't the most competitive, if given the chance to become an optometrist you will work your butt off to be the best.

Apply and see what happens, although I'm not saying you'll get in at least it'll show that you are interested and then you can make efforts to strengthen your resume for the following admissions cycle. Do your best and give it your all, nobody can ask more from you than you ask of yourself.

I know plenty of people who made 350+ on the OAT but flunked out because it was too difficult. It is very important that your patients trust you and thus you must have a great personality and good communication skills. A perfect score on the OAT means crap, if you don't pass your boards your screwed.

I know plenty of people who made 350+ on the OAT but flunked out because it was too difficult. It is very important that your patients trust you and thus you must have a great personality and good communication skills. A perfect score on the OAT means crap, if you don't pass your boards your screwed.

Thanks for responding to a post that's over a year old and who's also been banned...