MCPHS-Worcester c/o 2010 thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the long-awaited thread!! let's see how many of us going to worcester in fall 2007 are using SDN...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there! Let's here it for MCPHS - Worcester class of 2010! Woot-Woot!

woohoo ill b there too....where u guyz planing on living?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably be living on campus for the first year. Once I become a little more familiar with the area I may venture out to an off campus apartment. Howeverrrrrrr, waking up and strolling down to class is pretty enticing...:D

ill be there too :) hello everyone!

I cannot wait to meet everyone. I am so excited.:)

I think I'll probably living on campus too. I think even if it's a bit more expensive, it'll be a good experience to have, whether good or bad... lol.. since i've never lived in a dorm during my pre-pharm years...

Add me to that list. I might get something off campus or on. I need to see what my budget is going to be like first. On campus is more expensive but, easier and you're around other students if you need help. Maybe we can do a get together when the time comes. Feel free to pm me with an email. Maybe we can try to figure some stuff out together like, all the rumors about MCP and what we really should brush up on before hand. :scared:

Oh, I'm in Mass too. :)

Add me to that list. I might get something off campus or on. I need to see what my budget is going to be like first. On campus is more expensive but, easier and you're around other students if you need help. Maybe we can do a get together when the time comes. Feel free to pm me with an email. Maybe we can try to figure some stuff out together like, all the rumors about MCP and what we really should brush up on before hand. :scared:

Hi guys... welcome... everyone~

Hi guys... Hello everyone~ Welcome!!

On campus housing is pricy, but I believe it is a good way of starting a new life in Worcester. When you have more friends and become familiar with the area, you will be able to move out easily. There are plenty of two or three bedrooms with a good price and decent neighbors but most of studios and onebedrooms are pricy like on campus housing.

Some of my classmates were going to move out after first year, but they decided not to move out since they are so used to the convenient life.

Rumors about MCP... So far, so good except a couple of professors making me crazy... but I believe any schools have some bad professors so better not complain too much...

Party, have fun and enjoy the time you have now.... don't PM me with a question like what I need to study to prepare, won't answer that... you guys will have a plenty of time to study so again enjoy the time you have now... BUT if you have no pharmacy experience, I strongly recommend to work a couple of hours a week to see what is going on...

Anyways, SEE you guys in a couple of month..

Hey everybody, what's up? I'll be there as well next year and I too plan on living in the apartments, at least for the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to reinforce my science background little by little to prep myself better for P1....but I won't forget to enjoy myself!!

u guyz know when we start to apply for housing?

does anyone know the national ranking of this school.....ive read other threads and im really scared......also the school has like a 70% retention rate which is one of the lowest in the nation......they apparently accept around 190 and the odd thing is that they only have around 130 something spots for roations.....im happy im going to this school...but im also scared...i cant afford to stay an extra year or even worse fail out b/c of the way they set up their classes like theraputics or pharmacy practical lab.:confused:

Do not spend your time worrying about retention rates and such. You got in, you accepted your place, start supporting your future alma mater and get yourself prepared to start pharmacy school! If you got in you are intelligent enough to complete the program, so if you work your butt off and learn the material the "failing" will not concern you! Good luck guys!

thats true....as of now immna stop worrying and b prepared to work my butt off in the fall....see y'all there!

Hey astevens.. I was wondering if Worcester has a specific time that they schedule exams on. For Mercer, they do theirs on mondays.... I wonder if worcester does it during class time or it varies...

I was just trying to think of how to schedule my work hours and fit them ard my schedule.. thinking maybe 8 hours a week or sthg.. I hope that's not too much.

Hey astevens.. I was wondering if Worcester has a specific time that they schedule exams on. For Mercer, they do theirs on mondays.... I wonder if worcester does it during class time or it varies...

I was just trying to think of how to schedule my work hours and fit them ard my schedule.. thinking maybe 8 hours a week or sthg.. I hope that's not too much.

Yeah- we have an exam block that changes every semester with our schedules (last semester it was wednesday afternoon, this semester Thursdays at 4). I think you'll be fine with 8 hours a week, I work 8-12 hours a week and its a bit rough sometimes, but I manage. They will send you your schedule pretty early so you can probably work out your work schedule ahead of time.
astevens

Do many of the pharm students have jobs? I had my interview with Dr. Krause I believe is how you spell his name and he said that my focuse should be on my classes. What pharmacies are around the school? I currently work at Kroger Pharmacy and know that there arent any in Mass.

Does anyone know if we need to buy a laptop or whether one would be beneficial? I currently have a desktop, which is getting old and was not sure whether we needed a laptop.

Yeah- we have an exam block that changes every semester with our schedules (last semester it was wednesday afternoon, this semester Thursdays at 4). I think you'll be fine with 8 hours a week, I work 8-12 hours a week and its a bit rough sometimes, but I manage. They will send you your schedule pretty early so you can probably work out your work schedule ahead of time.
astevens
Really? You guys have an exam block? All your tests for all the classes are at a certain time outside of class?

yep- this semester its every Thursday: 4-5:30, What do the P2s have DrugDealer?

Does anyone know when orientation will be for the class of 2010? I just sent in my deposit and was wondering what info I will receive?

Our orientation was at the end of August last year, I think they sent stuff out in May about it. I work 7 hours a week and it actually is a nice break from schoolwork. They will give you your class schedule and testing block time ahead of time so you can schedule work around it. There are plenty of pharmacies around, you won't have any problem finding some hours!

does anyone know the national ranking of this school.....ive read other threads and im really scared......also the school has like a 70% retention rate which is one of the lowest in the nation......they apparently accept around 190 and the odd thing is that they only have around 130 something spots for roations.....im happy im going to this school...but im also scared...i cant afford to stay an extra year or even worse fail out b/c of the way they set up their classes like theraputics or pharmacy practical lab.:confused:

I think the national ranking is very low because the ranking is based on research, funds and so on. MCP is not a research institute, so the ranking probably very low.

Regarding the retention rate, we started with 190 students including manchester (40), so Worcester itself was 150. Now a couple of students quit or fell behind, and some of class of 2008 has joined us, so I think we are about 150 now. By the way, Worcester itself is accredited to graduate 135 students and Manchester has their own number ( I forgot what it was). I know school accepts more students than they can graduate, but according to Dean, if a school constantly graduate more students than they are accredited, ACPE increases the number of students that a school can graduate. I don't know if it is true or not, but there are always more than 15 students who quit due to personal reasons or fall behind because of academic difficulties. So as long as you don't get a F and keep up the GPA(2.2 or above), you won't have a problem to graduate. Don't worry too much. When you start school, don't get behind or underestimate any classes but prepare as much as possible.

I had my Worcester interview on 3/26 and got the admissions decision (accepted) yesterday 3/30. They are very quick with the turn around! I liked the school and the labs/facilities in general but am hesitating to accept because of the expensive tuition. I figured it would probably be around 45K to attend and all of that would have to be in loans!! Is anyone else also debating the money issue as well?
Also, the negative comments about the curriculum and the faculty is also factoring into the hesitation...
Thanks in advance.

I just recently signed onto facebook and created a group for the class of 2010. If you want to join the group is called MCPHS '10. Just thought we can see who will be attending the campus in the fall. If you are not part of the class of 2010, but another class you can still join.

for those who are already at MCP, will we need to get CPR-certified once we are at MCP? i am certified through the American Heart Assoc. for the BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) program, but it's expiring soon.. I wonder if I should just get it renewed and get it out of the way, or do I have to redo it completely once i'm at pharm school anyways... in that case I won't waste my money..

for those who are already at MCP, will we need to get CPR-certified once we are at MCP? i am certified through the American Heart Assoc. for the BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) program, but it's expiring soon.. I wonder if I should just get it renewed and get it out of the way, or do I have to redo it completely once i'm at pharm school anyways... in that case I won't waste my money..

I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone please help advise?

FYI Greatdeals225: This thread is much better than the other. :D

I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone please help advise?

FYI Greatdeals225: This thread is much better than the other. :D

Nope!

You need to be certified before you can go on your advanced rotations. They have classes set up all through the spring semester of the 2nd year so that you will have it done by August. This year the classes are each week, just next door in the L&L center. It's 4-5 hours and ~$70.

yep- this semester its every Thursday: 4-5:30, What do the P2s have DrugDealer?
Every other Friday, we have a Med Chem/Pharmacology exam during the time we would normally have class. The following Monday (so every other Monday), we have a Therapeutics exam during our regular class time. So...every other weekend is shot. Our elective and physical assessment exams are also during regular class time, they just aren't as frequent!

All our exams last year were during regular class time, too. It might be nice to have an exam block so we could squeeze a few extra therapeutics classes in and dilute everything out a tad.

You need to be certified before you can go on your advanced rotations. They have classes set up all through the spring semester of the 2nd year so that you will have it done by August. This year the classes are each week, just next door in the L&L center. It's 4-5 hours and ~$70.

Thank you! :)

After you guys sent in your deposit, have you received anything from the school since? What?

After you guys sent in your deposit, have you received anything from the school since? What?

Just the medical forms so far and statements from the Registrar's stating that my balance owed is -$750.00 because of the sent in deposit. I think they must mail out new statements every month because I've gotten three so far. We'll probably receive housing info soon, after they figure out what current students are staying on campus and in what rooms.

Hey TBS

I received everything NightcrawleRX did + a letter explaining my financial aid reward. Nothing else so far. I still have to contact the FA office when I get a chance.

Hey TBS

I received everything NightcrawleRX did + a letter explaining my financial aid reward. Nothing else so far. I still have to contact the FA office when I get a chance.

I knew I was forgetting something...I received the financial aid award letter as well. The letter states that we have to cross out any aid we don't want, sign the letter and send it back to the Financial Aid Office. I plan on taking the max amount available to me so I don't have to send anything back, right?

I knew I was forgetting something...I received the financial aid award letter as well. The letter states that we have to cross out any aid we don't want, sign the letter and send it back to the Financial Aid Office. I plan on taking the max amount available to me so I don't have to send anything back, right?

The award letter confused me actually. It does say to cross out what you don't want, sign it, and send it back. The letter looks strange though...there is no where to sign...I plan on NOT crossing anything out and taking the entire loan, I actually need more due to my EFC. So, I'm not really sure also. I'm going to stop procrastinating and call them tomorrow. After I talk to them, I'll post.

Just the medical forms so far and statements from the Registrar's stating that my balance owed is -$750.00 because of the sent in deposit. I think they must mail out new statements every month because I've gotten three so far. We'll probably receive housing info soon, after they figure out what current students are staying on campus and in what rooms.

Received the same thing. I am kinda confused about that award letter too. :cool:

You guys should be getting housing info soon. I know the RD put the packets together on Monday

My thought was that if you do not want the full amount that you should change and put the amount needed, sign it. If you do not need to change anything then I would not sign and not send to financial aid office. By the way housing looks, I have seen where it is cheaper to get off-campus housing less than school charges. It is about a third of a mile away from school too.

Does anyone know how housing assignments are done? Do they ask you certain questions through the mail to determine compatibility?

yeah- there is a personality survey and a room request thing, but I think 6 persons are about all that is left. Also if you want to request a certain floor (4-8) or whatever you are welcome to do that too.
Just a couple of suggestions on the 6-persons. The L type apartments have a great living room, but very very small kitchens (and room D is huge! and rooms E and F are discounted because they are smaller), The straight 6 bedroom apartments have a bigger kitchen, and I think an extra closet in the entry way (all the rooms here are the same size).
Sorry If this confuses you- but the packets have diagrams of the apartments and I thought you might like some info that is a bit more practical than a blue print. If you guys have any questions about housing just let me know-
Hope every one is enjoying spring!
Astevens