MCPHS-worcester: opinions needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karariki

www.chanhonline.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

to those who currently go to MCPHS-worcester or plan to go to MCPHS-worcester this coming fall, can u tell me what u like about this school? i got accepted into MCPHS-worcester, but i heard it's very stressful & the worcester is a boring city. besides having the 3 years program, what else does it offer?
i live in dallas, texas and i consider dallas a boring city already. (the only great thing about dallas is we have a lot of malls. seriously. i live 15 min away from 4 malls and i shop at all 4. :D.)
i'm afraid that attending at MCPHS-worcester will eventually leads me to having a zero-social life.
there's a medical school 3 or 4 miles away from the MCPHS, so do these med students & pharmacy students have any chance to hang out & socialize?
it would be great to mingle and have fun with people in related field along with other 149 classmates in MCPHS. :)

thanks.

(to mods: please let me post this thread on both pharm & pre-pharm forums. thanks. :) )

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

to those who currently go to MCPHS-worcester or plan to go to MCPHS-worcester this coming fall, can u tell me what u like about this school? i got accepted into MCPHS-worcester, but i heard it's very stressful & the worcester is a boring city. besides having the 3 years program, what else does it offer?
i live in dallas, texas and i consider dallas a boring city already. (the only great thing about dallas is we have a lot of malls. seriously. i live 15 min away from 4 malls and i shop at all 4. :D.)
i'm afraid that attending at MCPHS-worcester will eventually leads me to having a zero-social life.
there's a medical school 3 or 4 miles away from the MCPHS, so do these med students & pharmacy students have any chance to hang out & socialize?
it would be great to mingle and have fun with people in related field along with other 149 classmates in MCPHS. :)

thanks.

(to mods: please let me post this thread on both pharm & pre-pharm forums. thanks. :) )

Hey- I'll probably be attending next year as well. When I went to visit I really liked the focus on the students. I felt like they were there to teach the students, not necesarily to finish research or whatever. I'm also focusing on hispanic language and translation and I was astonished that they had a professor who specialized in this. That may be of no use to you, but it was a big deal for me. The town seemed like a work town, like you might have to go into Boston for fun, but heys its only an hour away, and it might be good not to have all of that so accesible since you will have a lot of studying to do.
Anyway, I hope this helped at all, good luck in making a decision!!
Anna

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say i loved the school aswell. I just had my interview yesterday and i was very impressed by the facility. They have like 20 clubs that school has, including a game club. THey have halo tournaments, that is awesome.
I really hope i get accepted to the school and i am looking forward to attending there next year. There housing is also very impressive.

why do you want it in both forums?

people read both of them....

Well, for a decent mall you have to drive an hour to Boston or Providence, RI. I moved here from Orange County, CA, land of the eternal shopping mall, but I don't really miss them. I don't have that much time to shop. I also don't have much time for going out, so it doesn't matter that Worcester is boring.

Besides the obvious accelerated aspect, I chose MCP because you have a mini-rotation your first year and can get into a pharmacy then. Some schools you wait until your second year. I also like their community service aspect and their community pharmacy entrepreneurship program. I also like their attitude of letting you return to your home state to do rotations--other schools I interviewed at forced you to remain in the area.

Yeah, UMass has a med school just a few miles away, but I don't know what the med students do for fun. I don't know anyone who socializes with them, but it doesn't seem so far-fetched since we do have use of the libraries over there (which I've never used).

ultracet said:
people read both of them....

Original poster: I am in a three year program....and lets just say I am crunched for time....socializing is a special occasion for me.

Also, I only read the Pharm boards (crunched for time).

alwaystired said:
Original poster: I am in a three year program....and lets just say I am crunched for time....socializing is a special occasion for me.

Also, I only read the Pharm boards (crunched for time).
That's nice....

Unfortunately, cross posting is against the rules....

If you would like to help out perhaps one of the days you can travel over to the pre pharm boards and answer a few questions over there?

when I visited MCPHS back in late January for my interview, I met with a bunch of P1 students, and it seemed as though they were all good freinds with each other, they all got along. It was like a little community of friends all living in the same apartment complex. I really liked this aspect, because maybe all those negative surroundings brings students closer together, hence better freindships developed. From what I saw, students were anything but uptight...they knew how to have fun. It really appealed to me

i didn't have a chance to talk to any student when i was at the interview. they were having class in the big lecture classroom. i took a peek at them, and all i could see was the back of their heads. :p
couldn't tell whether the student population is diverse or not, or how happy they are w/ the school . :(