MCW and NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to MCW and NYMC for next fall and really like both of them. Can those who attend help give me some of the positives and negatives of each school? I know MCW is good for peds? How is NYMC? Does NYMC used standardized patients? I can't remember from my interview day.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC!!!'

But to answer your question, the only clinical exp. I remember first years getting is the preceptorship program. I don't remember mention of SPs but you should definitely double check because I could easily be wrong.

I am surprised that you are considering 2 places so far away from eachother!

I like new places. NYMC would be a really new different enviroment. I have some family in CT. MCW is only 6 hrs from home but that's far enough to make it far away. Is NYMC wireless?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi There
I just finished my first block and a half at NYMC and I've really enjoyed it so far (as much as one can enjoy med school).

Some things I like about NYMC, not in any particular order
1. Only 30 minute train ride into manhattan
2. it's wireless
3. unlimited printing
4. The MODS which are open 24 hours for your unlimited study needs
5. The professors for anatomy and histology
6. Our pretty well ventilated anatomy lab
7. my 3 minute commute by foot
8. the collaborative and non-competitiveness within my class

hmm....that's pretty much it. I'm happy with my decision. i was choosing between this school and one in chicago. my reasons for choosing nymc were more personal, but I love the city and am excited that in a couple years i'll be able to live and do my clinical rotations there. there's no other place like nyc.

feel free to pm me.

good luck!

I'm an M2 at MCW, so I'll try to list off a few of the policies I like about the school so far:
1. Block testing during first year: means you won't be consistently studying hard--you can take a few days off after exams.
2. Every lecture is recorded and mp3s of the lectures are available to download the same day, as well as the powerpoints used.
3. You can join a cooperative note-taking service that, combined with #2, makes going to lecture completely optional.
4. The entire school is wireless.
5. Faculty are generally really receptive to student comments and implement changes to course structure when warranted.
6. You get a good amount of real and standardized patient contact during first year through optional participation in the free clinic, a preceptorship course, and interviewing sessions.
7. There is a great research program in place for the summer after your first year that provides over 90% of interested students with a research stipend. You also have the option to write a thesis and earn an Honors distinction in research upon graduation.
8. Most importantly, the classes are very cooperative as a whole, and really share resources and studying hints openly. Despite the traditional grading scale, we really do just try to help each other get through the material and stay sane while doing so.
9. Medical students and a few PhD students are the only students on campus, so the administration is able to fully focus their attention on undergraduate medical education. Really helps you feel like the administration cares about student concerns.

Now, to be fair, I'll list off a few things I don't like (which may or may not be universal to all med schools):
1. Our neuroscience course is very unorganized and focused towards research moreso than clinical information.
2. There are some mandatory small group PBL sessions as well as "soft science" clinical courses on the physician-patient relationship that often feel like a waste of time. My understanding is that most schools have something like this in place though, and at least MCW is very easy on grading in these courses.
3. The second year Microbiology course includes a mandatory lab during the bacteriology section that takes up between 4-8 hours per week for 5-6 weeks. I don't believe most schools still require a hands-on micro lab and I found it to be, by and large, a waste of my time. This is especially annoying in a semester when you are already crunched for time. This contributed greatly to my decision to finally skip every optional class this year.

Anyways, there you go. Overall I am very happy with my choice of MCW, and when you consider that being a med student is always going to suck, I think it is a good option for many students. Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions about the school. Congrats on the acceptances and good luck with your decision!