MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
akpete said:
Hey, Kevin's a great guy. Hope you had a good time staying here.

Well, I hope that helped somewhat. :)

That's awesome.... thanks so much for the insight. I appreciate it. Every time I talk to people about my visit to MCW one of the big points I emphasize is how nice everybody was out there... just another example... thanks akpete

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm from Cali too. I love The Reserve. I saw the website. I need the walk in closet & roman tub (you know why) :) . Anyway, how far is The Reserve to campus and to downtown? I'll be getting the 2 or 3 bedroom so I'll need a roommate or 2. I prefer male roommates. Girls can be too catty. :) Check it out Fran.

I'm actually currently living in the Reserve. It's definitely a nice place to live, but you need roommates to afford it on the budget the med school gives you. It really has more than you need. I've never once used the tanning room or the car wash, but I suppose it's nice to know that they're there. The only real problem I have with it is that the rooms get pretty hot in the summer and ridiculously cold in the winter, thus leading to some real whoppers of energy bills. Other than that, though, I've enjoyed living here.

It's about a 5 minute drive to campus in the morning, and maybe about a 10 minute drive around 4 or 5 pm. It's a nice perk to just be able to roll out of bed in the morning and practically be at the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marianne11 said:
Hi!

I'm from Cali too. I love The Reserve. I saw the website. I need the walk in closet & roman tub (you know why) :) . Anyway, how far is The Reserve to campus and to downtown? I'll be getting the 2 or 3 bedroom so I'll need a roommate or 2. I prefer male roommates. Girls can be too catty. :) Check it out Fran.

Well I will definitely be looking for a roommate, I am just not sure I need all that luxurious stuff and not sure I want to pay the extra $150 for it. We will see though.... plenty of time to think about things. Whats an extra $1500 a year on top of $44,000? I was looking at the budget they give us... its not very generous!!!!

oh, and if you find a place with free heat...BIG plus. my place has got it, and it's like 76 in here!

akpete said:
oh, and if you find a place with free heat...BIG plus. my place has got it, and it's like 76 in here!

Free heat is wonderful. Though, I keep my apartment at aboot 68 degrees. Much nicer.

Agent Splat said:
Free heat is wonderful. Though, I keep my apartment at aboot 68 degrees. Much nicer.

Where do you guys stay that ther is free heat? I actually saw that advertised on one of the complexes on-line, but again being in Cali, I don't really know where these places are compared to campus. What freeway runs by the campus?

Oh, and I heard something about having to get something that keeps your car engine from freezing over night or something? What is that about?

You guys are probably laughing and thinking "this poor guy has no idea what he is getting himself into!!!!!"

Franimal said:
Where do you guys stay that ther is free heat? I actually saw that advertised on one of the complexes on-line, but again being in Cali, I don't really know where these places are compared to campus. What freeway runs by the campus?

Oh, and I heard something about having to get something that keeps your car engine from freezing over night or something? What is that about?

You guys are probably laughing and thinking "this poor guy has no idea what he is getting himself into!!!!!"

Both Agent Splat and I live in Normandy Village, and I know of 3 other students that live here. It's 7-15 minutes to school depending on time of day. Hwy 45 runs by school on the west side, and I-94 is just south. A lot of people live east of school, and the Reserve is east of school.

I like Normandy. I like my apartment, (size and free heat and stuff), and I like that just down the road are some stores (Target, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Office Max, Home Depot), 3 grocery stores, Starbucks, Blockbuster, Chipotle, Noodles & Co, McDonalds, Subway, etc. One thing I don't like though is the fact that all friends and entertainment is east of here. And since we are in the suburbs, restaurants close at like 10pm, which sucks, except for Denny's of course. :) If you live downtown or on the East Side, places are open later.

What's this car thing? I don't put anything in my car besides making sure the Antifreeze/Coolant is full (well, and oil of course), which is in it year-round.

Plenty of Cali people in our class, and so yes, while I did laugh at their questions about snow :) , I tried to answer them as completely as possible. Yes, people drive in the snow. No, the world outside your home does not shut down unless it snows like a foot at a time. No, don't put chains on your tires (it's illegal actually), just have all-weather tires. No, your car won't rust, unless you let it sit with salt on it for like 10 years without once washing your car. Boots are not a necessity (I haven't owned any besides for snowboarding since 6th grade).

Anything else? Glad to help.

akpete said:
What's this car thing? I don't put anything in my car besides making sure the Antifreeze/Coolant is full (well, and oil of course), which is in it year-round.

Plenty of Cali people in our class, and so yes, while I did laugh at their questions about snow :) , I tried to answer them as completely as possible. Yes, people drive in the snow. No, the world outside your home does not shut down unless it snows like a foot at a time. No, don't put chains on your tires (it's illegal actually), just have all-weather tires. No, your car won't rust, unless you let it sit with salt on it for like 10 years without once washing your car. Boots are not a necessity (I haven't owned any besides for snowboarding since 6th grade).

Anything else? Glad to help.

All weather tires. And NEWER tires. I cannot stress this enough.

Oh, and I still hold very dear the memory of Pratik's face when I told him to have an ice scraper in his car by November.... "A what?"

You guys are scaring me. How cold is it right now? Will my little T-bird be okay in the snow? It's the new little retro convertible one. :confused:

Hello everyone!

To everyone who is not from Milwaukee, I have found Google Maps to be a great reference to the MCW area. Snow and winter in the upper midwest is really not all that bad; just use some common sense. Perhaps most importantly, the roads are generally well plowed, but drive cautiously and brake early and slowly.

According to this graph from the national weather service, the coldest month in Milwaukee is January, with a average high of 28°F. This is a bit chilly, but if you stay layered in clothes and do not stand in the cold for long periods of time, you will be fine -- a colder fine, but not freezing ;)

Marianne11, most cars will be drivable in winter, but to varying degrees. Some can be driven a bit more recklessly than others(re: H2's) in the snow. The T-Bird will be usable, provided you use some aforementioned caution and do not take it out in the middle on cold/snowy/icy nights -- just not in any poor conditions outside. Oh yeah, the ice scraper is indispensable.

And keep the housing suggestions coming!

Franimal said:

You do not need one of those electric dipstick things in Milwaukee. Just keep that antifreeze in the car and have a decently new battery. My car has started just fine at 13F below. Not that we get a lot of days like that... I agree about the good tires. I would add, if it's cold outside, ALWAYS put on your hat and gloves and button your coat BEFORE you leave the building. You'll like it up here much better if you'll take the time to do that. Ignore the natives in their shorts and sandals at 40F. They're just doing it to see that look on your face.

samenewme said:
Ignore the natives in their shorts and sandals at 40F. They're just doing it to see that look on your face.

I'm one of those. Sandals, not the shorts. But I've always done it. The looks on southerners' faces are just a bonus. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
akpete said:
I'm one of those. Sandals, not the shorts. But I've always done it. The looks on southerners' faces are just a bonus. :)

Yeah, I'll be the one with the sweater on when it's 80 degrees and you're all fanning yourselves and saying, "It's SOOO MUGGY!" ;)

Marianne11 said:
You guys are scaring me. How cold is it right now? Will my little T-bird be okay in the snow? It's the new little retro convertible one. :confused:

Did you get the T-Bird with the big engine?

I bought an all wheel drive car right before I was accepted to mcw. Fate?

indo said:

I bought an all wheel drive car right before I was accepted to mcw. Fate?

Just watch out for light poles on Menominee Blvd... I took one out in early december before finals, and they still haven't fixed it. Matter of fact, the one right next to it just got taken out a couple weeks ago now. They just moved the barricades around "my" pole to the other one. At least I didn't knock it ALL the way down like the other person did.

Fate for driving ahead of the dump truck that was salting instead of behind it.

indo said:

The big engine? Hmmm.....how would I know? Does size matter? :)

The Tbird only comes with one engine, the V8.

Size does matter...would you buy a sports car with a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder?

So there has been a little bit of mention about the budget being sort of tight there? How do you guys feel about that? My roomate, is destined for Iowa and his living expense budget is like 20K a year... ours is like 10K. I know that living expenses can't be that different... so how do you guys fair with the budget projected for at MCW. Do you get by with that money? Or do you end up using other sources for extra money? My parents won't be able to help me out at all. I am planning on saving a bunch of money for the move out there though.

Agent Splat said:
Just watch out for light poles on Menominee Blvd... I took one out in early december before finals, and they still haven't fixed it. Matter of fact, the one right next to it just got taken out a couple weeks ago now. They just moved the barricades around "my" pole to the other one. At least I didn't knock it ALL the way down like the other person did.

Fate for driving ahead of the dump truck that was salting instead of behind it.

Man, do all students at MCW have fun like you in the snow? :laugh:

indo said:
The Tbird only comes with one engine, the V8.

Size does matter...would you buy a sports car with a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder?

Then I guess I got the big engine. I was joking about the size thing. Come on. We got to have a little "fun" in school right?

Marianne11 said:
Then I guess I got the big engine. I was joking about the size thing. Come on. We got to have a little "fun" in school right?

Girl I share your exact feeling, we all must have a little fun . I have been trying to contact future MCW prospects , but no one in sight so far but you.
So, I hope you are not getting annoyed by me now :confused:

munadel10 said:
Girl I share your exact feeling, we all must have a little fun . I have been trying to contact future MCW prospects , but no one in sight so far but you.
So, I hope you are not getting annoyed by me now :confused:

Seriously, this class should already be close to full... where is everyone... they can't have better things to do than spend hours upon hours on SDN.

Actually I have a friend who is accepted at MCW and holding her spot but she had an interview at UCSF and is waiting to hear back before she commits herself to the Official Class of 2010 MCW thread. Although she has been waiting for like 2 months now. My friend is full of craziness from waiting and getting crazier by the day. Thank you so much MCW for not keeping me hanging very long waiting for the decision.

Franimal said:
So there has been a little bit of mention about the budget being sort of tight there? How do you guys feel about that? My roomate, is destined for Iowa and his living expense budget is like 20K a year... ours is like 10K. I know that living expenses can't be that different... so how do you guys fair with the budget projected for at MCW. Do you get by with that money? Or do you end up using other sources for extra money? My parents won't be able to help me out at all. I am planning on saving a bunch of money for the move out there though.

I'll be honest with you. I hate the budget. Hate it, hate it, hate it. First off, they expect everyone to have a roommate. I don't have one for a few reasons: #1 - I was taken off the waitlist in July. I was not going to waste my time trying to find someone to live with. #2 - I was sick of having roommates for the last 6 years. #3 - At 24, I felt it was time to start living a little more like a normal adult my age, and I don't want a roommate. So unfortunately, MCW doesn't have alternative budgets for living alone. And then they started talking about in orientation about how you should only take out what you absolutely need and try not to take the whole budget, and if you don't take it all, you can still get it up til March 1. That whole time I sat there, with "what the f***" going through my head several times. Basically, I have $1060 a month for living expenses, and then whatever's left over from the books and supplies budget (which ironically is pretty decent). My rent, cell phone (no land line), electric, and cable+internet alone (no food yet) adds up to ~$925 per month. You do the math. I con my dad out of $200 a month cuz my parents just got divorced and it's easy to get money from him. And I'm about to start donating plasma again.

$550 a month for rent AND utilities. Pretty unrealistic even with a roommate in my mind. Yeah, some people make that. But what about the rest of us.

Sorry. I'm done ranting now. I get pretty upset about the budget. Only thing I don't like here. Hopefully someone else will post a less biased opinion.

Marianne11 said:
We got to have a little "fun" in school right?

Absolutely not. Fun is irrelevant. You will study. There is no alternative. Cease all enjoyable activities now or you automatically waive your spot in the class.

Agent Splat said:
Absolutely not. Fun is irrelevant. You will study. There is no alternative. Cease all enjoyable activities now or you automatically waive your spot in the class.

Hence the avatar.

As far as the budget, I have to agree with akpete. I get some help from the rents (car, health insurance until I turned 25 and got bumped, etc) and have a fairly easy time getting by. BUT, I also have 2 roommies. Take both those factors out of the eqn and I don't think I'd be able to swing it. The budget hasn't changed in the four years I've been here and was kinda tight then. I read somewhere that Iowa students get approx 2x what we get. I've lived in both cities and MKE is slightly more expensive. I will say, though, that the 15K residency loan is pretty sweet (just ask my brothers, who got real xmas presents from me for the first time ever). :thumbup:

Franimal said:
Seriously, this class should already be close to full... where is everyone... they can't have better things to do than spend hours upon hours on SDN.

Actually I have a friend who is accepted at MCW and holding her spot but she had an interview at UCSF and is waiting to hear back before she commits herself to the Official Class of 2010 MCW thread. Although she has been waiting for like 2 months now. My friend is full of craziness from waiting and getting crazier by the day. Thank you so much MCW for not keeping me hanging very long waiting for the decision.

The class is full already! MCW started an alternate list the end of December.
So , Where are all the (Early D) people! As for better things to do ,a couple of minutes on SDN wont kill anyone!

Hooray for vactation!!! So my mom has a good friend that lives on the lake and only about 30-40 mins from MCW. It looks like I am making a trip with her to Milwaukee to look for a place after I graduate. I think there was mention before, that late May or early June was a good time to go look. Does everyone else out there agree with this? Is that a time when leases end and students move out? (Just trying to narrow down the time frame.) I don't really care when I go because it will be summer for me and no obligations, but my mom wants to figure out her vacation time. Is the campus still open during the summer break?

May/June is good to sign a July/Aug 1 lease. As has been lamented previously, the best bet is driving around whereever it is that you want to live. You can also check the numerous bulletin boards at school, as often property owners look to rent to med students and will only advertise there. Oh, and yes, the school is open during the summer, academic affairs is fully-functioning, etc.

Hawkeye Kid said:
May/June is good to sign a July/Aug 1 lease. As has been lamented previously, the best bet is driving around whereever it is that you want to live. You can also check the numerous bulletin boards at school, as often property owners look to rent to med students and will only advertise there. Oh, and yes, the school is open during the summer, academic affairs is fully-functioning, etc.

Ditto the above...Some of my best leads on housing came from the bulletin boards near the front entrance, by the cafeteria, by the 2nd floor mailboxes, and in the stairwells. Be aware that the school is not always open on weekends, but if you can't make it down during the week you may be able to con a security guard into letting you in.

munadel10 said:
The class is full already! MCW started an alternate list the end of December.

Hmmm. The class may be full now, but when I interviewed on Jan. 6th they told me that they had enough room for everyone at the interview. It is possible to interview for one of the open spots but then still end up on the alternate list. Most likely it was the end of January when they stopped interviewing people for acceptances. Don't worry though....the alternate list is a great place to be at MCW. (Unlike my state school where no one in the last two years has gotten off it!)

scotttennis said:
Hmmm. The class may be full now, but when I interviewed on Jan. 6th they told me that they had enough room for everyone at the interview. It is possible to interview for one of the open spots but then still end up on the alternate list. Most likely it was the end of January when they stopped interviewing people for acceptances. Don't worry though....the alternate list is a great place to be at MCW. (Unlike my state school where no one in the last two years has gotten off it!)

Here's the lowdown for any of you hopefuls perusing this thread. We were waiting for an exam to start today, and Mike Istwan stopped by to chat with the group of people I was talking to in the hallway. We asked him how the admissions were going this year, and he said they just sent out their last acceptance letters yesterday (or today maybe, I'm not 100% on that, so don't quote me). Of the people they interviewed last Friday (1/20), they sent acceptances to 10 of the in-state applicants and 10 of the out-of-state applicants. So from here on out, you are officially interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

Tiger26 said:
I just got one of those acceptance letters for the instate spots, so I definitely be there next year!

Congratulations Tiger!!! I am glad to hear from another future classmate. Where in Wisconsin are you from? Close to Milwaukee?

Tiger26 said:
I just got one of those acceptance letters for the instate spots, so I definitely be there next year!

Congrats Tiger26 hope to see in the fall :thumbup:

Tiger26 said:

Congratulations and welcome!

I have question, I am not from wisconsin, and so i was wandering how far mcw was from Uni. of Wis. I have been accepted to mcw and my twin brother has been accepted to Uni of Wis law school. I am from texas and i am waiting to see if i match to any texas scools. anyway i really enjoyed the school and would be happy to attend.

dbzgohan said:
I have question, I am not from wisconsin, and so i was wandering how far mcw was from Uni. of Wis. I have been accepted to mcw and my twin brother has been accepted to Uni of Wis law school. I am from texas and i am waiting to see if i match to any texas scools. anyway i really enjoyed the school and would be happy to attend.

It's about an hour from my house to Madison, but to the campus would probably take like another 20-30 minutes depending on traffic (I'm guessing on that last part. If you were thing about sharing an apartment/house with your brother, I do know someone who goes to school here and her husband works in Madison. They live in the Brookefield/Waukesha area, so closer to MCW, but not as far to Madison than as if you lived in Tosa. I'm not sure how long it takes him to get to work, but I could try to remember to find out.

Good luck :luck:

akpete said:
It's about an hour from my house to Madison, but to the campus would probably take like another 20-30 minutes depending on traffic (I'm guessing on that last part. If you were thing about sharing an apartment/house with your brother, I do know someone who goes to school here and her husband works in Madison. They live in the Brookefield/Waukesha area, so closer to MCW, but not as far to Madison than as if you lived in Tosa. I'm not sure how long it takes him to get to work, but I could try to remember to find out.

Good luck :luck:

I commuted back to Madison for 3 weeks last summer after I had moved here...I definitely wanted to shoot myself after the almost 1.25 hour drive every morning and every evening. Your friend's hubby deserves a gold medal in husbanding for doing that commute every day.

I have a brother who still goes to school in Madison. We barely ever see each other, but it's nice to know the option is available if I want to hang out with him on a weekend. Being from out-of-state, I would imagine it would be nice to have some family within driving distance. Best of luck to you in your decision, dbzgohan.

Everybody has been so quiet lately... Is everyone too busy? Keep recruiting to get our class of 2010 on this thread.
So it was like 78 degrees today... I was warm in shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I am going to miss days like this when I go out there. Being from San Diego, I was surprised to recently find out that one of my professors was actually accepted to Madison as Med student and then decided to persue research. She said that she had some friends go to MCW and others to Madison, and it seemed that those at MCW had better things to say about the students and the school. I just thought I would share that.

You people in san diego pay a premium for your weather.

We're actually having a pretty balmy winter by Wisconsin standards. Yesterday, it had to be close to 40...usually we're below zero by this time of year!

opmed said:
We're actually having a pretty balmy winter by Wisconsin standards. Yesterday, it had to be close to 40...usually we're below zero by this time of year!

Nah, that's January. It's February now, practically spring! We're often up to the balmy teens by this time of year! It is true, though, that you are moving to someplace where, when the temperature is in the single digits, you have to add the clarifying term "above". (Or "below".)

We're supposed to go back to snow and teens and twenties next week. Damn! And I never did order those snow tires for my bike!

samenewme said:
Nah, that's January. It's February now, practically spring! We're often up to the balmy teens by this time of year! It is true, though, that you are moving to someplace where, when the temperature is in the single digits, you have to add the clarifying term "above". (Or "below".)

We're supposed to go back to snow and teens and twenties next week. Damn! And I never did order those snow tires for my bike!

If you can make it from December to March you're in the clear. The rest of the time the weather in Wisconsin can be quite nice. It might not always be 70 and sunny, but it really isn't too bad.

I'm in class of 2010. I deferred last year to do some volunteer work, but it still took me this long to figure out this thread was here.

I just hope I don't go insane enough to start liking meatloaf or michael jackson during the next 4 years.

dreamer10 said:
I just hope I don't go insane enough to start liking meatloaf or michael jackson during the next 4 years.

i have no clue what you're talking about.

Welcome to all the new folks!

Agent Splat said:
i have no clue what you're talking about.

Welcome to all the new folks!

Sorry.. I didn't realize the forum posted the most recent stuff last- I was responding to a conservation from last november apparantly. :)

dreamer10 said:
Sorry.. I didn't realize the forum posted the most recent stuff last- I was responding to a conservation from last november apparantly. :)

I guarantee you that Splat knew what you were talking about. He was just being coy. He is obviously in Meatloaf denial.

adding the "loaf" to any food makes it 10 times as good. For example, "hey man, how about some fruitloaf? How about some spamloaf? How about some eggloaf?" Good stuff, right?