Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCW email

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kuba, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Kuba

Physician

Attending Physician
    Anybody else receive an email to consider applying to the medical college of wisconsin? I am curious as to what MCAT scores they sent that to.

Dr. Kuba,
    The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC, your results from the April 2006 MCAT. In reviewing your scores the Committee believes that, should your other academic and supporting credentials complement these scores, you may be a competitive candidate in the application process for the entering class of 2007. Allow me to briefly introduce you to the Medical College of Wisconsin.

* It is the largest private, free standing medical school in the country, enrolling 204 new students each year. Over half of each class is from out of state. This gives both residents and non-residents a significant number of spaces for which to compete and allows the College to attract a diverse student body from throughout the country.
    * With funds totaling more than 123 million dollars the College conducted 3000 research studies in 2005. And with its primary focus on clinical medicine it has 1500 clinical trials in progress, with 400 new trials initiated each year.
    * It is part of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Campus, made up of seven major healthcare providers and research centers. These along with facilities in the greater Milwaukee area provide students with outstanding comprehensive clinical training within easy access from home or the College. This also provides students the ability to complete all clinical clerkships and rotations on the campus or in the Milwaukee area.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by the date of completion. Candidates are selected for interviews by date of completion and strength of credentials, and offers are made on a rolling basis until the class is filled. The interviewing process begins in early October. So, it is in the applicant's best interest to apply and complete an application early.
    You can access our Virtual Guide, Viewbook and a profile of the most recent entering class by going to www.mcw.edu/acad/admission In doing so, I invite you to learn more about us, and invite you to consider applying to the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Committee welcomes the opportunity to review your application and supporting credentials.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 414-456-8246.

Mike Istwan
    Director of Admissions

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I got one last year, i think they send it to a lot of people

4. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member

Got it too. Not even applying this year.

5. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Redneck Woman

Resident [Any Field]
  6. Kuba

Physician

Attending Physician
    hmmm, they should call it the "MCW email" thread, and not "quick question" cuz then i cant look for it when im trying to see if im repeating what has already been said.

7. Requip

Requip Member

Pre-Medical
    haha...i just got this too, I think its kinda BS b/c I'd heard that they dont consider oos with less than a 3.7...

8. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I just got that e-mail too... it looks like the average for their class last year was a 30... so maybe that was the cut-off... or perhaps a little over?

Whatever...

9. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Redneck Woman

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. I posted it just to let you know that it was there.

10. whatdapho

whatdapho MS-I

Medical Student
    I just got the email and i'm pretty sure it's a little scheme for us desperate applicants to send out primaries and surprisingly get secondaries that require some type of processing fee. I'm not falling for that..or will i?

11. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I had a friend that got that and then was rejected post-secondary...lol.

12. Doc Martins

Doc Martins Senior Member

I just received this and was looking through the e-mail for the info on the secondary link and then I realized, "wait I didn't even apply to Wisconsin". :laugh:

13. photo_girl07

photo_girl07 Western Blot Queen

Medical Student
    Yeah- I just received the Wisconsin e-mail. I do not know what the MCAT cut-off was. I'm thinking it's 30+ (that's where I fall). Also, I did not even apply to Wisconsin....nice ego boost....but I don't think it really changes my mind.

Good Luck,

PG

14. Brownskinladae

Attending Physician
    Well, let me be the first to say that I did not get a 30, and I still got this e-mail. So, that couldn't be the cutoff.

15. monv15

monv15 New Member

Medical Student
    I too received that email. I have a 3.7 w/a 30 MCAT, if that helps.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. heeseop

Pre-Medical
    ouch.. lol

18. Guile

Guile 1K Member

So where are you guys in the AMCAS verification process? I just got mine today, and I believe I should be verified any day now. Just curious to see whether this might be foretelling something to come...

19. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    haha the funny thing is, i almost was like going to say, wow!!! i passed their screening??? they are giving me a secondary? then i was about to post on SDN. Then i realized i didnt even apply to MCW lol

20. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    maybe they send it to anyone it has an email to. who knows. Perhaps instead of 30+ they send it to people who scored in the 90th percentile or 80th percentile in at least one subject, contingent on everything else being relatively decent.

21. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60

Medical Student
    yeah I got one too. What are they ranked? Is it a good school>?

22. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Attending Anesthesiologist

Attending Physician
    How would they know your GPA?

23. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    My old MSAR spreadsheet (last years) lists them as 44 on primary care. Their average stats for that year was
    3.70 30

24. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I just got the email at 3:44 today. I had a 29.

25. Ema

Ema Biti ili ne biti?

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I have received it too, and my MCAT is a lot lower then anybodies here.... I have just sent in app. last night so I have no idea what this is...just an automatic email I guess.

26. Ema

Ema Biti ili ne biti?

Pre-Medical
    Mine is diferent than yours DR.KUBA, at 15:43

The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC, your results on the April 2006 MCAT. We are very pleased that you are considering pursuing a medical education. Allow me to briefly introduce to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
    It is the largest private, free standing medical school in the country, enrolling 204 new students each year. Over half of each class is from out of state. This gives both residents and non-residents a significant number of spaces for which to compete and allows the College to attract a diverse student body from throughout the country.
    With funds totaling more than 123 million dollars, the College conducted 3000 research studies in 2005. And with its primary focus on clinical medicine it has 1500 clinical trials in progress, with 400 new trials initiated each year.
    It is part of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Campus, made up of seven major healthcare providers and research centers. This along with facilities in the greater Milwaukee area provides students with outstanding comprehensive clinical training within easy access from home or the College. This also provides students the ability to complete all clinical clerkships and rotations on the campus or in the Milwaukee area.
    Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by the date of completion. Candidates are selected for interviews by date of completion and strength of credentials, and offers are made continuously until the class is filled. The interviewing process begins in early October. So, it is in the applicant's best interest to apply and complete an application early.

You can access our Virtual Guide, Viewbook and a profile of the most recent entering class by going to www.mcw.edu/acad/admission In doing so, I invite you to learn more about the Medical College of Wisconsin.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us [email protected] or 414-456-8246.

27. Ema

Ema Biti ili ne biti?

Pre-Medical
    It looks like they wellcome you more then me, :((((

maybe they make different emails to be sent to different ranges of scores : the best scores-pay a fee, good-pay a fee, not so good -pay a fee, and crappy scores still pay fee.... :laugh:

28. help79

help79 Member

Pre-Medical
    We have received your AMCAS application and are pleased to learn of your interest in the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). We are happy to offer you the opportunity to complete our on-line secondary application. Prior to completing the application you may wish to review our Virtual Guide, Viewbook and a profile of the entering class at MCW. You can access them at www.mcw.edu/acad/admission

Below you will find instructions to complete your secondary application. The on-line instructions tell you what materials must be received at MCW to complete your application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling, first come first serve basis by date of completion. Please note: The deadline for completing your application is Midnight (CST) January 31, 2007.

29. Biostats.moore

does their secondary link only come once you're verified?

30. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    This is what I got (somewhat different):

<Applicant Name>, The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC, your results from the April 2006 MCAT. In reviewing your scores the Committee believes that, should your other academic and supporting credentials complement these scores, you may be a competitive candidate in the application process for the entering class of 2007. Allow me to briefly introduce you to the Medical College of Wisconsin.

* It is the largest private, free standing medical school in the country, enrolling 204 new students each year. Over half of each class is from out of state. This gives both residents and non-residents a significant number of spaces for which to compete and allows the College to attract a diverse student body from throughout the country.
    * With funds totaling more than 123 million dollars the College conducted 3000 research studies in 2005. And with its primary focus on clinical medicine it has 1500 clinical trials in progress, with 400 new trials initiated each year.
    * It is part of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Campus, made up of seven major healthcare providers and research centers. These along with facilities in the greater Milwaukee area provide students with outstanding comprehensive clinical training within easy access from home or the College. This also provides students the ability to complete all clinical clerkships and rotations on the campus or in the Milwaukee area.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by the date of completion. Candidates are selected for interviews by date of completion and strength of credentials, and offers are made on a rolling basis until the class is filled. The interviewing process begins in early October. So, it is in the applicant's best interest to apply and complete an application early. You can access our Virtual Guide, Viewbook and a profile of the most recent entering class by going to www.mcw.edu/acad/admission In doing so, I invite you to learn more about us, and invite you to consider applying to the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Committee welcomes the opportunity to review your application and supporting credentials.

31. vmgopal

vmgopal Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    i live in wisconsin........I did not get near a 30 as a matter of speaking and I got the email.....but it made my day b.c I will be working for them at a lab next year during my year off so I will add them to my application!!!

32. Johannen

Johannen Weathered Wayfarer

Pre-Medical
    Rumor has it that MCW is one of the easiest secondaries out there..you send in your picture, your letters, check a box, and sign a form. Why not go for it?

I'm within walking distance of the school, and I still got the email as well.

33. Siggy

Resident [Any Field]
    3.3 and 29. Looking at the MSAR, I have no clue about how I could be considered "competitive."

As a side note, I got suckered into one of these when applying to undergrad from Wash U (~3.6-3.7 HS GPA, 1240 SAT). Rejected post interview...

34. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    haha, i remember all those undergrad letters from washU. imagine my surprise when i looked up their med school stats in the MSAR. holy crap!

35. BirdmanRA

BirdmanRA Fly in any weather!

Medical Student
    What I don't understand is this... I got this email (and one from the Army) on my school email address. One problem...the address on my AMCAS is a special one that I set up through Yahoo. Now can someone explain THAT?!? They must want me bad...I just know it. haha...j/k