MCW Institutional Action Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vannguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what MCW requests on their secondary for IA.

Please provide, on a separate sheet of paper, the following information if you were ever subject to any action by any institution or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation:
• Exact nature of unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation
• Specific circumstances contributing to unacceptable academic performance or conduct
violation
• Result action(s) taken by institution
Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

I understand all of it except the last part. What exactly are corrective measures? I had 6% taken off my final grade, but still received an A in the class due to a couple extra credit assignments. Is that what they mean?? Or do they mean how have I changed as a person due to this IA?

Members don't see this ad.

Please provide, on a separate sheet of paper, the following information if you were ever subject to any action by any institution or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation:
• Specific circumstances contributing to unacceptable academic performance or conduct
violation
• Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

I understand all of it except the last part. What exactly are corrective measures? I had 6% taken off my final grade, but still received an A in the class due to a couple extra credit assignments. Is that what they mean?? Or do they mean how have I changed as a person due to this IA?

What you learned from the experience etc. Also, what the institution did (take off 6% of your grade) etc.

violation
• Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

The 6% taken off would be the resulting actions taken by the institution. The bolded part is how have you changed as a person due to the IA. This could be due to actions the institution recommended, and/or things you did on your own initiative.

I assume it was some type of academic dishonesty? If so, I would be very clear about exactly how and why you know what you did was unacceptable, what you learned from it and why it will never happen again. If it wasn't academic dishonesty, I am not sure why your grade would be penalized...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

What have you changed, either because the school recommended that you do so, or because it seemed to you to be a good thing to do? In other words, if you had cheated, how have you changed how you study to avoid getting jammed up at exam time?

What have you changed, either because the school recommended that you do so, or because it seemed to you to be a good thing to do? In other words, if you had cheated, how have you changed how you study to avoid getting jammed up at exam time?

My friend got caught with my clicker during a clicker quiz. Before, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but I realized I should be honest at the cost of points no matter how much or how little.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

My friend got caught with my clicker during a clicker quiz. Before, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but I realized I should be honest at the cost of points no matter how much or how little.

Oh that's just stupid of them to write you up on it.

What was that test worth even? 0.00001% of your grade?

FOOOO REAL?

Anywho, be honest about it. It's all good.

FOOOO REAL?

Yea seriously. My heart goes out to you OP. We used to have 10 people sitting with clickers in a 100 people class and nobody was ever marked absent. Chill professors are awesome.

FOOOO REAL?

wtfff. I don't think it'll keep the OP out of med school, but it's still cheating. I think saying they are 'stupid' to write OP up is a bit of a stretch, regardless of how prevalent this type of cheating may be.

wtfff. I don't think it'll keep the OP out of med school, but it's still cheating. I think saying they are 'stupid' to write OP up is a bit of a stretch, regardless of how prevalent this type of cheating may be.

No, mandatory attendance in big lecture situations is stupid. Clicker quizzes are often the equivalent of "Are you breathing today?" and only serve as grade inflation. If you don't let your "adult" college students choose to attend or skip class based on their own knowledge of the material, are they really adults?

FOOOO REAL?

Nah it was more like .01% :laugh:. Regardless of whether it was stupid or not, you can be sure as hell I'm not taking another chance like that when I get into med school.

Nah it was more like .01% :laugh:. Regardless of whether it was stupid or not, you can be sure as hell I'm not taking another chance like that when I get into med school.

and before it...

You have to figure out on your own whether this will be reflected in any kind of official documentation or not. This is a personal matter between you and the university. Perhaps talking to your university would be of more use than asking random strangers ;p