• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

vannguyen

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
This is what MCW requests on their secondary for IA.

Please provide, on a separate sheet of paper, the following information if you were ever subject to any action by any institution or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation:
• Exact nature of unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation
• Specific circumstances contributing to unacceptable academic performance or conduct
violation
• Result action(s) taken by institution
Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

I understand all of it except the last part. What exactly are corrective measures? I had 6% taken off my final grade, but still received an A in the class due to a couple extra credit assignments. Is that what they mean?? Or do they mean how have I changed as a person due to this IA?

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
The Ether
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Please provide, on a separate sheet of paper, the following information if you were ever subject to any action by any institution or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation:
• Specific circumstances contributing to unacceptable academic performance or conduct
violation
• Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

I understand all of it except the last part. What exactly are corrective measures? I had 6% taken off my final grade, but still received an A in the class due to a couple extra credit assignments. Is that what they mean?? Or do they mean how have I changed as a person due to this IA?
What you learned from the experience etc. Also, what the institution did (take off 6% of your grade) etc.

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]

violation
• Corrective measures resulting from institutional recommendations or personal initiative.

The 6% taken off would be the resulting actions taken by the institution. The bolded part is how have you changed as a person due to the IA. This could be due to actions the institution recommended, and/or things you did on your own initiative.

I assume it was some type of academic dishonesty? If so, I would be very clear about exactly how and why you know what you did was unacceptable, what you learned from it and why it will never happen again. If it wasn't academic dishonesty, I am not sure why your grade would be penalized...:confused:

About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
Academic Administration

What have you changed, either because the school recommended that you do so, or because it seemed to you to be a good thing to do? In other words, if you had cheated, how have you changed how you study to avoid getting jammed up at exam time?

vannguyen

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
What have you changed, either because the school recommended that you do so, or because it seemed to you to be a good thing to do? In other words, if you had cheated, how have you changed how you study to avoid getting jammed up at exam time?
My friend got caught with my clicker during a clicker quiz. Before, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but I realized I should be honest at the cost of points no matter how much or how little.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
The Ether
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My friend got caught with my clicker during a clicker quiz. Before, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but I realized I should be honest at the cost of points no matter how much or how little.

Oh that's just stupid of them to write you up on it.

What was that test worth even? 0.00001% of your grade?

FOOOO REAL?

Anywho, be honest about it. It's all good.

ponyo

人魚姫
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
North of Key West
Status
Medical Student

FOOOO REAL?

Yea seriously. My heart goes out to you OP. We used to have 10 people sitting with clickers in a 100 people class and nobody was ever marked absent. Chill professors are awesome.

S6MD

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Aug 18, 2010
Louisiana
Status
Pre-Medical

FOOOO REAL?

wtfff. I don't think it'll keep the OP out of med school, but it's still cheating. I think saying they are 'stupid' to write OP up is a bit of a stretch, regardless of how prevalent this type of cheating may be.

Jul 12, 2011
Status
wtfff. I don't think it'll keep the OP out of med school, but it's still cheating. I think saying they are 'stupid' to write OP up is a bit of a stretch, regardless of how prevalent this type of cheating may be.
No, mandatory attendance in big lecture situations is stupid. Clicker quizzes are often the equivalent of "Are you breathing today?" and only serve as grade inflation. If you don't let your "adult" college students choose to attend or skip class based on their own knowledge of the material, are they really adults?

vannguyen

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status

FOOOO REAL?

Nah it was more like .01% :laugh:. Regardless of whether it was stupid or not, you can be sure as hell I'm not taking another chance like that when I get into med school.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nah it was more like .01% :laugh:. Regardless of whether it was stupid or not, you can be sure as hell I'm not taking another chance like that when I get into med school.
and before it...

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]

You have to figure out on your own whether this will be reflected in any kind of official documentation or not. This is a personal matter between you and the university. Perhaps talking to your university would be of more use than asking random strangers ;p

About the Ads