golfdoc8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Hey all,

I am in the process of deciding between MCW and Wayne State. I would appreciate any feedback about either school. Are either of them top schools, or bottom tier schools? Do students get better residencies out of one more than the other. Thanks for your help!

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
golfdoc8 said:
Hey all,

I am in the process of deciding between MCW and Wayne State. I would appreciate any feedback about either school. Are either of them top schools, or bottom tier schools? Do students get better residencies out of one more than the other. Thanks for your help!
Go Wayne State. I don't know about MCW though or what it stands for. But I'll tell you about Wayne. No I wouldn't say wayne is a top tier school but at the same time I wouldn't say it is a bottom tier school either. Its a solid middle of the road school. It is not the greatest when it comes to prep for boards (USMLE I) but you get amazing clinical exposure at the surrounding hospitals. They let medical student do quite a bit and the best way to learn stuff is to actually do it yourself. As far as residencies are concerned, Wayne does have people matching in top residencies. If you go on their website (type wayne on google) and search for match list for students, you'll find where people matched. But every year they have people matching in urology, ortho, derm, plastics, ophtho.. Also understand that Wayne pretty much has residencies at hospitals they train at for pretty much all mentioned specialties. Whtihc is imp, meaning that you can get early exposure to these specialties without having to travel to another place. Well that's about it. Go with Wayne.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2001
Midwest
Visit site
Status
Medical College of Wisconsin definitely has a better reputation in the midwest than Wayne. It is also well known on the West coast due to the inordinate number of med students from the West coast that end up going back.

MCW has a strong research reputation and was in the top 50 research schools on US News a couple of years ago. It is probably right around the 50 mark since it fell off the next year.

The students are generally happy and well rounded. Generally good atmosphere. Outstanding clinical education, with lots of choice and variety of hospitals in town to choose from for rotations.

MCW always matches pretty well in competitive fields and locations.

I don't know Wayne State well at all except that their radiology residency didn't impress me much.

ddmo

BMF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
You posted this question in the pre-allo forum. Anyways, like was said there, if you are in state at either school, then go with that one. In terms of tiers, they are actually pretty similar. Similar enough that I wouldn't say one was really that much different than the other. Wayne usually hovers in the 50s or low 60s in UsNews, same with MCW for research. As for primary care, those rankings don't mean all that much unless you want to be a family doc. Both match people in good programs. If you want to practice in Michigan, then go with Wayne, since it is the MI powerhouse.

I don't attend MCW, but I do like Wayne and am happy with my decision. Someone I knew from undergrad, Xandie, went with MCW because she wanted to try out a new state, but I haven't seen her on the forums for awhile.

Xandie

OB/GYN Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Newark, DE
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
ddmoore54 said:
You posted this question in the pre-allo forum. Anyways, like was said there, if you are in state at either school, then go with that one. In terms of tiers, they are actually pretty similar. Similar enough that I wouldn't say one was really that much different than the other. Wayne usually hovers in the 50s or low 60s in UsNews, same with MCW for research. As for primary care, those rankings don't mean all that much unless you want to be a family doc. Both match people in good programs. If you want to practice in Michigan, then go with Wayne, since it is the MI powerhouse.

I don't attend MCW, but I do like Wayne and am happy with my decision. Someone I knew from undergrad, Xandie, went with MCW because she wanted to try out a new state, but I haven't seen her on the forums for awhile.
I'm back! I love MCW, and had to make the same choice. If you're still wondering (I do realize that this is an old thread), feel free to drop me a PM or post, and I'll elaborate on my decision process.