MCW vs MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BagChaser85

Reaction score
MCW

Pros:
Higher Research Funding
Cool City Experience
I have heard clinical years here are really good
Students seem to really love this school, from the interview experience

Cons:
Far from family
60k COA
new curriculum(idk if this is def a con)
Cold

MCG

Pros:
Relatively close to family
Solid Research Funding
40K COA

Cons:
Less Prestigious and known outside the South
Kinda bored of GA
Augusta/Athens are kinda meh, especially after being in Athens for 6 years

Moving away from GA is something I am interested in because I have aspirations to move out of the south eventually for residency and thereafter. I am interested in surgery as a specialty choice, however def not set on anything particular. Which school would make it more feasible to match into a competitive specialty/residency, or is there probably 0 difference in 'prestige?' My main con with MCW is the COA, but I do not mind taking more loans if there's more doors open.

Please let me know what yall think!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Essentially no difference in "prestige" and a new curriculum could end up being a pain to deal with. Stick with the IS tuition. You can always leave to a different part of the US in residency.

Since you are angling towards surgery, ask a ton of questions on the new MCW curriculum. It is likely well thought out but you need an idea which program would have the mentors to set you up better.

Do you get IS tuition after 1 year at MCW? If not, stay cheaper if you can. See about away rotations in surgery.