MD and PhD at Two Different Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medoholic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished my second year of medical school and my school has allowed me to take a pause in the program to pursue a PhD at a different school.

I am wondering if anyone else has done the MD/PhD this route (at 2 different schools) and if so what advice, comments, etc. you might have?

My med school told me they could either give me a Leave of absence or an independent study for the PhD elsewhere. I wasn't sure which to pick, would one look better over the other on a transcript? What do typical MD/PhD students have on their med school transcript during the PhD years?

With the independent study I would have to pay fees, but then I would have insurance to do some clinical stuff if I wanted. The leave of absence doesn't have any fees but then I wouldn't have the insurance. I don't really care about paying the fees, I mostly just want to have a solid transcript for residencies.

I'm going to be in a different state and I'm not sure if the new school would let me in on any clinical stuff at their med school or not. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so was the insurance thing ever an issue?

The other thing I though of is there's an NIH grant (under F31) for MD/PhD students ($ for PhD work) that specifically allows the 2 degrees at 2 different schools. It says you need to be enrolled in both schools at the same time. Will the LOA cut it for this, or maybe would the independent study be needed to go that route? Has any one had experience applying to the MD/PhD NIH F31 this route?

In case anyone's wondering, I didn't decide I wanted to go for the MD/PhD until I was already well into med school so I never thought of applying to a joined program right off the bat. I considered going for the PhD at the med school I go to, but the department I'm interested in isn't that big and doesn't really have the type of work I'm interested in.

It would be great to hear any input...

Members don't see this ad.

as I understand it, your transcript itself during this time will not matter for residency applications. They aren't going to care if you did an independent study or a LOA--what they care about is what you did during your PhD.

BUT one thing you might want to consider: if you do an independent study, it could provide you more elective time during your 4th year. At my school it excuses us from the required research time during 4th year, so you get extra vacation time!