MD, DO Advice needed for nontrad URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for about 2 years now and I've made the conscious decision to enter the medical field, however there is a caveat. It seems that I have not fulfilled any premed requirements while I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley seeing how I was a liberal arts major (sociology). Also, my performance at the beginning of my time at Berkeley was not the best, there were certain issues that affected my performance, resulting in a 2.42 GPA. I was wondering if it was possible for someone like myself to enroll in the post bacc keeping in mind that I have been out of school for about 2 years and my GPA isn't at the required 3.0 that most post baccs require? One thought that came to mind was to go to a Community College, take the premed req's and then apply to a formal post bacc. Another thought was doing UCLA extension. As you can tell I'm a little lost as to how to get to the end goal, any clarity or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Post-bac programs are a dime a dozen, and I know that not all require a 3.0 GPA, so some homework is in order to find one for you. A DIY like you suggest below is perfectly fine.

I've been out of school for about 2 years now and I've made the conscious decision to enter the medical field, however there is a caveat. It seems that I have not fulfilled any premed requirements while I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley seeing how I was a liberal arts major (sociology). Also, my performance at the beginning of my time at Berkeley was not the best, there were certain issues that affected my performance, resulting in a 2.42 GPA. I was wondering if it was possible for someone like myself to enroll in the post bacc keeping in mind that I have been out of school for about 2 years and my GPA isn't at the required 3.0 that most post baccs require? One thought that came to mind was to go to a Community College, take the premed req's and then apply to a formal post bacc. Another thought was doing UCLA extension. As you can tell I'm a little lost as to how to get to the end goal, any clarity or advice would be greatly appreciated.