MD, DO Advice needed for nontrad URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nontrad101

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been out of school for about 2 years now and I've made the conscious decision to enter the medical field, however there is a caveat. It seems that I have not fulfilled any premed requirements while I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley seeing how I was a liberal arts major (sociology). Also, my performance at the beginning of my time at Berkeley was not the best, there were certain issues that affected my performance, resulting in a 2.42 GPA. I was wondering if it was possible for someone like myself to enroll in the post bacc keeping in mind that I have been out of school for about 2 years and my GPA isn't at the required 3.0 that most post baccs require? One thought that came to mind was to go to a Community College, take the premed req's and then apply to a formal post bacc. Another thought was doing UCLA extension. As you can tell I'm a little lost as to how to get to the end goal, any clarity or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
Post-bac programs are a dime a dozen, and I know that not all require a 3.0 GPA, so some homework is in order to find one for you. A DIY like you suggest below is perfectly fine.

I've been out of school for about 2 years now and I've made the conscious decision to enter the medical field, however there is a caveat. It seems that I have not fulfilled any premed requirements while I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley seeing how I was a liberal arts major (sociology). Also, my performance at the beginning of my time at Berkeley was not the best, there were certain issues that affected my performance, resulting in a 2.42 GPA. I was wondering if it was possible for someone like myself to enroll in the post bacc keeping in mind that I have been out of school for about 2 years and my GPA isn't at the required 3.0 that most post baccs require? One thought that came to mind was to go to a Community College, take the premed req's and then apply to a formal post bacc. Another thought was doing UCLA extension. As you can tell I'm a little lost as to how to get to the end goal, any clarity or advice would be greatly appreciated.