MD/DO Chances and School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will greatly appreciate advice on this upcoming application cycle.

Breakdown:

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 501

EC's
- Student-athlete for 2 consecutive years (recipient of scholar-athlete award from my university both years)
- Captain of Division II Club Soccer Team (4 years and counting)
- Volunteer at Ambulatory Surgical Unit (~ 70 hours)
- Volunteered at hospital under the supervision of a Physician Assistant (~ 80 hours)
- Shadowed a Pediatric Hematologist-Oncologist (50 hours)
- Shadowed an Internal Medicine Nephrologist (30 hours)
- Volunteer Assistant Trainer/Coach for a youth soccer academy, including underserved kids (~ 200 hours over span of 1.5 years)
- Volunteer at local mosque for immigrants (~ 80 hours)
- Tutor/Instructor for underprivileged children ages 6-11 (~ 50 hours and counting)
- Scribing with an Internal Medicine DO (~ 60 hours, will have over 1000 hours by spring)
- Dean's List Term Honors (5 semesters)
- Worked part-time during semesters and full-time in summer throughout college
- First person to attend and graduate college in my family

LOR's
- 1 MD, 1 science faculty, 2 non-science faculty, 1 clinical, 1 non-clinical, 1 from my college soccer coach, also receiving 2 separate phone-calls from DO's to vouch for me for a DO school

State of Residence: New York

School List:
DO
Tentative list includes: NYITCOM, PCOM, Touro, LECOM, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Rowan
-Any other suggestions in regards to chances and addition of schools? I am submitting my apps for DO today, as I just received confirmation for the fee assistant waiver

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is difficult to pick schools to target without an actual MCAT score especially with your GPA. If you score 500 you would have a chance at some DO schools. Over 508 and you have a ~50% chance for MD schools. Post your score here when available. Late August is not late to apply to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying to more DO schools besides the ones you listed above? It would be a good idea to add a few more schools with a MCAT of 501.

Yes, those were just schools I have in mind, but haven't made anything final yet. I would like to know what my final list should look like. Do you think I have a decent shot with my EC's and stats if I apply broadly? I really want to get into NYITCOM or PCOM, thanks again!

Your GPAs and MCAT are just slightly below the average for DO matriculates last year. With a broad enough school list (20+) schools, you should be ok for a few interviews. I have 3 II so far with similar stats to yours. I can't recommend applying MD with a 501 MCAT. If you are gunning for a competitive specialty, I would retake the MCAT and apply MD with a 510+.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan has a strong in state bias (84% of class are NJ residents). Add a few more schools and you are competitive for all of these with your MCAT:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

MU-COM

ATSU-COM

Rowan has a strong in state bias (84% of class are NJ residents). Add a few more schools and you are competitive for all of these with your MCAT:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

MU-COM

ATSU-COM

Thanks!

Hello! I will greatly appreciate advice on this upcoming application cycle.

Breakdown:

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 501

EC's
- Student-athlete for 2 consecutive years (recipient of scholar-athlete award from my university both years)
- Captain of Division II Club Soccer Team (4 years and counting)
- Volunteer at Ambulatory Surgical Unit (~ 70 hours)
- Volunteered at hospital under the supervision of a Physician Assistant (~ 80 hours)
- Shadowed a Pediatric Hematologist-Oncologist (50 hours)
- Shadowed an Internal Medicine Nephrologist (30 hours)
- Volunteer Assistant Trainer/Coach for a youth soccer academy, including underserved kids (~ 200 hours over span of 1.5 years)
- Volunteer at local mosque for immigrants (~ 80 hours)
- Tutor/Instructor for underprivileged children ages 6-11 (~ 50 hours and counting)
- Scribing with an Internal Medicine DO (~ 60 hours, will have over 1000 hours by spring)
- Dean's List Term Honors (5 semesters)
- Worked part-time during semesters and full-time in summer throughout college
- First person to attend and graduate college in my family

LOR's
- 1 MD, 1 science faculty, 2 non-science faculty, 1 clinical, 1 non-clinical, 1 from my college soccer coach, also receiving 2 separate phone-calls from DO's to vouch for me for a DO school

State of Residence: New York

School List:
DO
Tentative list includes: NYITCOM, PCOM, Touro, LECOM, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Rowan
-Any other suggestions in regards to chances and addition of schools? I am submitting my apps for DO today, as I just received confirmation for the fee assistant waiver

Thanks!

I would not apply to any MD schools with your MCAT. That said, your stats are competitive for most DO programs, sans the ones that value high MCAT scores. I would definitely apply to NYITCOM, PCOM, UNECOM. Schools you can drive too are always sensible and your stats are still competitive for these schools.

I would not apply to any MD schools with your MCAT. That said, your stats are competitive for most DO programs, sans the ones that value high MCAT scores. I would definitely apply to NYITCOM, PCOM, UNECOM. Schools you can drive too are always sensible and your stats are still competitive for these schools.
Thank you for the response. I don't plan on applying to MD schools. If I do not get in this cycle, I will retake the MCAT and reevaluate my position for MD programs. My primary goal is to get into a DO school that is drivable and more convenient in terms of finances and living situations. Great to hear that I have a shot at NYITCOM, PCOM, and UNECOM, as those are my top choices. Do you think receiving 2 separate phone calls to NYITCOM from alumni will increase my chances of getting in there? Both phone calls are from non-family members. @Goro @gyngyn

Last edited: