Md/do mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrakdavra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you get a good job with only MD/MBA , without doing any residency ...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of them here in the pharma world. I'd say you can make between 30,000 and 5 million a year (depending on experience). One of the people sitting on the board of a big pharma company I've worked with makes 2 million and is a MD/MBA (Harvard guy) that dropped out of residency. Learned during residency he wasn't all that interested in seeing patients (but, he is "wicked" smart). The average is probably somewhere in the mid/low 100s, which is what you'd expect for most people with experience in this world (even with a bachelors) or those with an top tier MBA/MHA. I broke the 100k mark with a bachelors + 5 yrs of experience.

I agree with the assessment that most of these jobs are probably open to you with just an MBA or MHA or a degree to that effect. Some maybe open to you with a bachelors degree. I think maybe the only exception would be is someone that analyzes safety data for clinical trials (we have a few MDs that do stats stuff that didn't do residency). I don't actually know any DO/MBAs (but there is a bias against DOs in big pharma so DOs are rare to come by). For the record, since this is SDN, I know a lot of DOs at hospitals and otherwise and am working on my AACOMAS application currently (I'll be ecstatic just to practice medicine).

Last edited: