MD/DO or DPT?

Started by j306c954
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

j306c954

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if any of you currently in a DPT program were ever considering an MD/DO program at one point. If so, what made you choose DPT? And are you happy with the decision?

I am very passionate about neuro (degree was in neuroscience). If I went the MD/DO route, I would most likely do neurology. However I recently learned more about the field of neuro PT, so that intrigues me as well.
 
What neurologists and neurologic physical therapists do on a daily basis is very, very different. The role that each person plays in the patient's team, the treatment goals, the lifestyle, the training path and the earning potential are also extremely different. More different than similar I'd say. I would advise you to shadow a couple of members of each profession and get a sense for what it's like. I would also advise shadowing a couple of physicians in other specialties if possible, as well as PTs in other specialities. Keep in mind that what you think you are interested in now will probably totally change by the time you get through PT school or medical school.