MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

if medical school admission committees realize that an interviewee is applying to both DO/MD, will they hold that against the interviewee?
or will they know at first place?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they'll hold it against you so long as you can explain why you have decided to apply to both.

My experience is that the DO schools will care a heck of a lot more why you're applying to both MD and DO programs, while the MD programs don't really care at all.

I only applied to NYCOM, so I'm hardly an authority.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, DO schools are very sensitive to the issue. They dislike to accept those MD wannabe.

------------------
The Kingdom of the Dragon is here

That's absolutely true. If an admissions committee of a DO school ever found out you were applying because you wanted to cover all the bases, it wouldn't matter if you had a 45 on the MCAT and a perfect 4.0 -- they'd reject you faster than Harvard rejected me!
wink.gif

Please be careful on interviews when they ask the almost obligatory, "Why did you apply to both DO and MD programs?"

Tim of New York City.

I disagree. I let it be known to more than 1 DO school that I was applying to MD programs as well, and I have been accepted by more than 1 DO school. What was my alternative - lying? - because they LOVE to ask the ol' MD/DO question! Unacceptable, plus I'm not very good at it :)

My previous posting wasn't aim to mislead anyone, but what I said is true. You can tell the DO schools you are a MD wanna be, or applying to DO school just to be a back-up plan, I can assure you that you won't be accepted.

If anyone has a successful experience, let me know and tell me which DO school you interviewed.

------------------
The Kingdom of the Dragon is here

Nobody is gonna say they are a "MD wanna be" or applying for a "back-up". Duh. It would be stupid not to apply to in-state allopathic schools that cost 10X less than osteopathic schools, no matter what I think of the whole osteopathic profession/education. Adcoms realize that folks are in this position. Like I said before they didn't hold it against me. As Hanly said, as long as you can explain yourself well, you will be FINE.

I would think that, in the big numbers game that admissions is, the student who applies solely to osteopathic schools would be valued more than one who hedges his/her bets by applying to both allo and osteo. Sort of like putting your money where your mouth is, eh?

The admissions process is a total crapshoot. I rolled the dice and applied to MD/DO programs and touched on it at a couple of interviews. Fortunately, it paid off for me.

I have to say from my peronal experience that DO schools will not reject you if they know you have submitted applications to MD schools also. I hold in my hand right now admitance to both types of programs and during the interview at the DO school they asked me plainly how many and what type. I gave them the whole truth and it did not hinder me.

If you are applying to DO schools strictly as a backup they will know. That in of its self will most likely get you booted.

My interviewers at the MD program could have cared less how many and what type. It is more important to the osteopathic profession to get persons who are committed to the ideas they present.

Richard

[This message has been edited by richierich (edited 11-23-1999).]