MD Fellowship after DO OBGYN Residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biology101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive are DOs trained in osteopathic OBGYN residency programs for allopathic fellowships, such as MFM or REI?

1. Is it possible?

2. How often is it attempted?

3. How often is it accomplished?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Feel Free to Private message me, if you prefer.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, good point. But....if fellowship program directors really agree to recognize AOA vs. ACGME training as equal, especially early on in the transition, is another question. I would guess not, unless you were applying at an institution who was already extremely DO friendly in that speciality.

I am still a DO student, and as such, one avenue that I hope may come true. Is that if all programs become ACGME accreditated, the stigma, that plagues DO residents, may have dissolved by the time it comes to apply for fellowships.

*Fingers Crossed*

How competitive are DOs trained in osteopathic OBGYN residency programs for allopathic fellowships, such as MFM or REI?

1. Is it possible?

2. How often is it attempted?

3. How often is it accomplished?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Feel Free to Private message me, if you prefer.

If you want an MD fellowship, the easiest thing will be to train at an MD residency program, preferably an academic program and a program with its own REI or MFM fellowship. REI is competitive and there are very few programs in general. Same for MFM although there are probably 1.5 times more spots for it.