MD instead of MD/PhD: why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thislittlepiggy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me tell you that I have gotten coldest feet that I've ever had in my life. I used to feel confident that I will apply for MSTP, but now I feel unsure because my research background is negligible compared to those with publications. All I have to show is a lousy protocol that I helped make. I feel like all the time I've dedicated to research instead of volunteering will make my MD only app look really lopsided, and my PS sounds like I should apply to grad school instead. I really like the idea of going into research on the medical front, but admission committees probably don't want to only hear about my starry-eyed promises.

So this brings me to my question: why on earth would someone choose MD over MD/PhD (besides having cold feet) if research was their ultimate goal?

I've been trying to research and justify this pathway to myself, but things are still unclear. Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

So this brings me to my question: why on earth would someone choose MD over MD/PhD (besides having cold feet) if research was their ultimate goal?

The MD + research fellowships route is, as far as I know, simply an alternative path to becoming a physician scientist. While you miss out on the rigorous training you'd receive in grad school, you complete med school all at once and spare yourself a few years which can be spent in an extended research-oriented residency. Also, as you mentioned, the ideal application for MD-only is a bit different than for an MSTP (more volunteering/humanitarian stuff for MD; more research and higher emphasis on academics for MSTP).
Each prospective medical scientist needs to consider both of these alternatives and decide on the best one for him/her, but neither is necessarily "better" than the other. Here are a few reasons why I decided to apply MD/PhD rather than MD:
1. Grad school is going to be a nice break from med school.
2. I have no real idea which specialty/research area is right for me. I'll have a few years and lab rotations to figure this out.
3. I like the idea of having my medical education paid for (a $200,000+ value).
4. My resume is much better suited to MD/PhD application instead of MD-only.
5. Chicks dig guys with multiple advanced degrees

Okay, so #5 may or may not be true, but you get the general picture. There are pros and cons both ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol nice #5
#5 is true for me. Who else besides the dudes with multiple degrees like chicks with multiple degrees? ;)

OP, I have started some threads where people have posted about their experiences in becoming physician scientists. Go up to the top of the forum and click the "paths to becoming a physician scientist" thread. You can read people's opinions about pros and cons of each option.

If any of you oldtimers want to contribute, I'm still trying to collect more people's experiences. Feel free to post your thoughts in the appropriate thread. :)

lol nice #5

As it happens, about a month ago I was out on a first date and it came up that I was working on apps, wanted to do MD/PhD, residency, fellowship, etc. Later a mutual friend said that she had a great time but was "a bit intimidated by how much school I was still in for" and thus thought I was somewhat "insane". I haven't heard from her since. :laugh: I guess she wasn't my type.

As it happens, about a month ago I was out on a first date and it came up that I was working on apps, wanted to do MD/PhD, residency, fellowship, etc. Later a mutual friend said that she had a great time but was "a bit intimidated by how much school I was still in for" and thus thought I was somewhat "insane". I haven't heard from her since. :laugh: I guess she wasn't my type.

Working around grad students in the lab, i get the impression that grad school does make you "insane". Also, no worries on losing the girl. there'll be major incest within your grad department anyways.

thanks y'all for the info!

I've gotten the impression from reading the MD-only profiles in the sticky that MD/PhD is more dedicated to research and an MD scientist... i'm not so sure. I want to play a part in the development of genetics in medicine, which i think will be especially exciting when affordable genome-wide scanning becomes available, and right now I see myself split between the lab and the clinic. What do you guys suggest, MD or MD/PhD for this future?

Also, another quick question: do most schools allow MDs to transfer to MSTP? I might have another change of heart in med school.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe some residencies don't give much more of an advantage for a MD/PhD over an MD, so it may not be worth going for the PhD if you know what you want to do. I know the opposite is true (MD/PhD being an advantage) for some specialties such as NS.

#5 is true for me. Who else besides the dudes with multiple degrees like chicks with multiple degrees? ;)
Well, I'd like multiple chicks with single degrees...does that count?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe some residencies don't give much more of an advantage for a MD/PhD over an MD, so it may not be worth going for the PhD if you know what you want to do. I know the opposite is true (MD/PhD being an advantage) for some specialties such as NS.
I have heard that more of the clinical/private practice fields care more about step 1, AOA status, and third year grades than a PhD. But I don't think a PhD could hurt. Except I have heard that some rad onc places such as Sloan are very pro-clinical for their residency. In the end don't get a PhD just for a leg up in residency.

True, but if you're doing a PhD just to enhance your app, then, well, it's kinda like marrying for money. You get what you earn.

Besides, who cares if PD So-and-So isn't a big believer in research? Most folks do research because it's fun, and if So-and-So doesn't agree, well, I wouldn't want to be his resident anyways.

Hi OP, I actually have/had the same dilemma as you...MD only or MD/PhD? I also want to go into medical research, so the PhD was appealing. I ultimately decided MD only, however, because I wasn't so sure about committing 8 years to the same place. My plan currently is to complete the MD first, then see where I am and decide then whether to do the PhD. Alternatively, I am also considering the possibility of transferring into the MD/PhD portion partway through the MD if I realize that's what I want.

My biggest problem with applying MD/PhD is that I feel that my research background is insufficient; I've only had one year of research so far, and even though it was a great experience (and my professor said he'd even write me the best rec for MD/PhD), I felt that one year in one lab wouldn't make me competitive enough for an application. I didn't want to waste a year by waiting to apply, so I just decided to go MD only for now.

On a related note: Is it hard to do the MD and PhD degrees separately (besides the money issue)?

On a related note: Is it hard to do the MD and PhD degrees separately (besides the money issue)?

From what I've heard, it's hard to keep the faith to apply for a PhD when you've sweated through four years of medical school, took your boards, have X years of residency ahead of you, and are in your mid-to-late 20s with all your friends from college making tons of money. Someone I know who was deciding to do a PhD after his MD told me that his thinking shifted from education to "the real world"/family/jobs and it made it hard to go for the additional years of the PhD.

No. The biggest disadvantages to getting separate degrees are that you will probably have to pay for your MD, and you will take more time to finish your training. Those things may or may not be an issue to you. I think the way you're planning to go is smart (i.e., MD to PhD). Getting into med school is WAY harder than getting into grad school. Plus, if you want to leave the option open of transferring into your school's MD/PhD program later, it's a lot more feasible to do this as a med student than as a grad student.

I actually started and ended my MD/PhD essay with this :cool:. Basically the same thing.. girl asked me why in the heck I wanted to do MD/PhD etc etc. I couched my whole essay as an answer to this girl. (and at the end, I say I never saw her again) Not quite the truth, but I did only have 1 more date with her after that. Cheers, solitude :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually started and ended my MD/PhD essay with this :cool:. Basically the same thing.. girl asked me why in the heck I wanted to do MD/PhD etc etc. I couched my whole essay as an answer to this girl. (and at the end, I say I never saw her again) Not quite the truth, but I did only have 1 more date with her after that. Cheers, solitude :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!