MD looking for strong slp masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slpmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i am an MD and would like to continue in speech pathology does anyone know of any slp's masters for MD's and also what are the strongest programs e.g top ten in north america since i would like to continue and take ph.D? any info would be helpful thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I have a Ph.D. in speech pathology myself and am an active researcher in the field. The best programs in the US are generally considered to be: Iowa, Wisconsin-Madison, Northwestern, Univ. of Washington, and Arizona. If you want to stay in a particular region I could also recommend programs there for you.

If you're set on getting certified as well as doing the Ph.D. you might want to consider applying straight to a Ph.D. and getting your CCC while you study for that. In other words you can skip the master's - it is not needed if you get a Ph.D.

If you want to do a master's Univ. of Washington do an MSc in Medical SLP that might interest you.

Why are you making the switch if you don't mind my asking?

I'm curious too.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the helpful info in my university hospital the speech and audiology clinic is under the ENT department. the speech clinic has one speech therapist. it is very underdeveloped. there is currently a position for an MD willing to continue in this field and develop it and supervise the clinic . i was interested and it seems like a challenging project. im hoping to continue in this field and if possible in the future develop a local slp program.

Hi all,

i am an MD and would like to continue in speech pathology does anyone know of any slp's masters for MD's and also what are the strongest programs e.g top ten in north america since i would like to continue and take ph.D? any info would be helpful thanks.
Hey slpmd - A speech degree will definitely be easy for you! Oneson is right on with the top programs.

I'm a SLP who is starting the prereqs for med school. Any advice? :)

Just curious, why would you want to become a speech pathologist if you are an MD?

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, why would you want to become a speech pathologist if you are an MD?
Updates on your end? I’m looking at doing something similar now (SLP to MD-SLP)!

Hi all,

i am an MD and would like to continue in speech pathology

Any updates about how this went for you? I want to be an MD-SLP as well to further the fields of ENT and SLP. Any advice or info on how this went would be amazing! Thanks in advance!