MD / MBA Program Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PCPrincipal

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all -

New to SDN, was hoping for a bit of advice as a (very?) non-traditional student hoping to get into an MD / MBA program at a Top - 20 school.

A bit about me:
  1. 30 years old
  2. Graduated in 2013 with BBA in Finance & Information Systems (GPA 3.95)
  3. Worked for 3 years for a Bulge Bracket investment bank (in M&A) & then an upper middle market private equity firm (with healthcare focus)
  4. As early as 2014, I began steering my career toward healthcare to the extent possible because of a few personal healthcare challenges & clinical volunteer experience that I really enjoyed
  5. Began taking post-bacc classes (4.0 GPA for all pre-requisites)
  6. MCAT (8/9/2019) - 518 : 130/129/130/129

Volunteer Experiences (at various intervals over the 5 year period)
  1. 150+ hours as a volunteer research associate in pediatric ED
  2. 150+ hours as a inpatient volunteer and critical care volunteer (feeding patients, etc.)
  3. 150+ hours as a Big Brother for BBBS NYC
  4. 75+ hours as a volunteer research associate in the adult ED
What I was hoping to understand from anyone who may have some insight - I believe my stats make me fairly competitive for Top 20 medical schools, although my MCAT is at or near median. I left healthcare Private Equity to fully commit to the medical school journey because I discovered that the business side of things meant less to me than the clinical aspect; however, I'd like to pair both skill sets to help build an organization that can help patients on both sides of the fence.

My question: Does it make sense to apply to the NYU / Sterns, Penn / Wharton, HMS / HBS, Michigan / Ross, Feinberg / Kellogg, Pritzker / Booths of the world? I'm thinking that my banking / PE background helps on the MBA side of things but my stats might be a bit light (especially no real research) on the medical side.

Thanks for your help - since I'm new here, just give me a heads up if this needs to go into another forum.

-PCPrincipal
 
Yes - go for it! Your background is really interesting and you can definitely turn it into a compelling story for applications and interviews. This could more than make up for whatever your MCAT score is lacking.
 
Those are great options. NYU / Stern program is nice since your 4 years (if you go to NYU Manhattan) or 3 years (if you go to NYU Long Island) medical school will be tuition free. Also, you can consider Cornell / Johnson program, where most (if not all) of the MD/MBA students attend Johnson tuition free due to available fellowship program for Cornell MD and Biomedical PhD students pursuing their MBA at Johnson.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad