MD/MBA (top-tier) useful for surgeon doing business?

Started by nychila
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nychila

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to a top-tier MD/MBA school and I'm debating whether I should apply to the joint MBA to go with my MD as I know for a fact that I will be heavily involved in healthcare business down the road.

Arguments for:
- with a family right after I finish my MD and training and the opportunity cost of a surgeon's salary, it'd be difficult convincing myself to get a MBA or eMBA
- learning case studies with other in a MBA program would probably be more helpful than simply reading books on business skills

Arguments against:
- as a future specialized surgeon, I won't be using the business skills/networks from my MBA at all until 10 years later when I finish my MD and training
- I'm looking to start my own business rather than seeking employment, so the degree and school-brand won't be that useful to me

I'd appreciate any input. Time and cost are not factors for me.