MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

california009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am 2.5 years out of undergrad. I worked in finance and now work at a VC investing in life science startups. I plan on applying to MBA programs in the fall. I already took the GMAT. Yet I am realizing more and more I need to better understand medicine if I want to go down this path and may need an MD.

However, I have not taken orgo or physics (although I have 2 semesters of physics credit from my undergrad school). I could take them as night time classes in fall 15/spring 16 but I want to apply with my MBA. I also need to take the MCAT. And the last hurdle I face is no shortage of professionals attesting to my work experience in the life sciences but I am too far out for any life sciences professors to remember me by name.

Given this is the situation, should I bother with the MD now? Will a school accept my profile if I can do well on the MCAT? Or are no orgo grades a deal breaker? Right now I am reading out of medical textbooks for work but I do not know if it always suffice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am 2.5 years out of undergrad. I worked in finance and now work at a VC investing in life science startups. I plan on applying to MBA programs in the fall. I already took the GMAT. Yet I am realizing more and more I need to better understand medicine if I want to go down this path and may need an MD.

However, I have not taken orgo or physics (although I have 2 semesters of physics credit from my undergrad school). I could take them as night time classes in fall 15/spring 16 but I want to apply with my MBA. I also need to take the MCAT. And the last hurdle I face is no shortage of professionals attesting to my work experience in the life sciences but I am too far out for any life sciences professors to remember me by name.

Given this is the situation, should I bother with the MD now? Will a school accept my profile if I can do well on the MCAT? Or are no orgo grades a deal breaker? Right now I am reading out of medical textbooks for work but I do not know if it always suffice. Thanks in advance!

I suppose I have to first question your basic assumption as to why you think you need an MD for this?
And clarification of what you mean by "life science" startups - that's a really broad term . . .
And, yes, no orgo grades are going to be a deal breaker for med schools.