MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

california009

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I am 2.5 years out of undergrad. I worked in finance and now work at a VC investing in life science startups. I plan on applying to MBA programs in the fall. I already took the GMAT. Yet I am realizing more and more I need to better understand medicine if I want to go down this path and may need an MD.

However, I have not taken orgo or physics (although I have 2 semesters of physics credit from my undergrad school). I could take them as night time classes in fall 15/spring 16 but I want to apply with my MBA. I also need to take the MCAT. And the last hurdle I face is no shortage of professionals attesting to my work experience in the life sciences but I am too far out for any life sciences professors to remember me by name.

Given this is the situation, should I bother with the MD now? Will a school accept my profile if I can do well on the MCAT? Or are no orgo grades a deal breaker? Right now I am reading out of medical textbooks for work but I do not know if it always suffice. Thanks in advance!
 
Hi! I am 2.5 years out of undergrad. I worked in finance and now work at a VC investing in life science startups. I plan on applying to MBA programs in the fall. I already took the GMAT. Yet I am realizing more and more I need to better understand medicine if I want to go down this path and may need an MD.

However, I have not taken orgo or physics (although I have 2 semesters of physics credit from my undergrad school). I could take them as night time classes in fall 15/spring 16 but I want to apply with my MBA. I also need to take the MCAT. And the last hurdle I face is no shortage of professionals attesting to my work experience in the life sciences but I am too far out for any life sciences professors to remember me by name.

Given this is the situation, should I bother with the MD now? Will a school accept my profile if I can do well on the MCAT? Or are no orgo grades a deal breaker? Right now I am reading out of medical textbooks for work but I do not know if it always suffice. Thanks in advance!

I suppose I have to first question your basic assumption as to why you think you need an MD for this?
And clarification of what you mean by "life science" startups - that's a really broad term . . .
And, yes, no orgo grades are going to be a deal breaker for med schools.