Md/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what if I was perhaps thinking of attending a medical school with a cheap state tuition, but wanted to get an MBA at a more prestigious institution? For example, If I go to Robert Wood Johnson (UMDNJ) for medical school, can I apply to do 1-year at say Columbia or Wharton? Or, would I have to apply for the straight-up MBA that takes 2-years to complete? Any insight would be great! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard you can do them separately but not in 5 years, it would take 6 i believe. also im not sure about admissions standards for those doing them separately vs combined, especially at the elite schools. im almost certain the 1 yr plan is not an option separately, as thats one of the biggest benefits of the combined route.

Well, but what about Tufts University MD-MBA? You complete it in 4 academic years and finish with both degrees. Is this a reputable program? Thanks Shredder and any other point of view

Shredder said:
ive heard you can do them separately but not in 5 years, it would take 6 i believe. also im not sure about admissions standards for those doing them separately vs combined, especially at the elite schools. im almost certain the 1 yr plan is not an option separately, as thats one of the biggest benefits of the combined route.

Members don't see this ad :)
PolarBear04 said:
Well, but what about Tufts University MD-MBA? You complete it in 4 academic years and finish with both degrees. Is this a reputable program? Thanks Shredder and any other point of view
If you want to cram it all in 4 years go for it. Know your summers are gone though.

PolarBear04 said:

I'm a graduate of Tufts MD/MBA program. In terms of liberal arts and medicine, Tufts has a decent name. In terms of business, Tufts doesn't have a business school and it outsources the education to Northeastern University and Brandeis University. Tufts doesn't have the reputation of Wharton nor Harvard, but Tufts was one of the first MD/MBA programs and finishing in 4 years is a huge economic boost. Spending an extra year in business school means a loss of a whole year's salary. Instead of working, you would be in school. Having Wharton on your resume is beneficial when interviewing for your first job. However, once you're in business, it's about your last job and what you did. In deciding on a 4-year vs. a 5-year program, I decided that in business, experience was more important than education. Thus, I decided to get education over with as soon as possible so that I could get as much experience as I could in the working world.

-hdo781

if youre interested in 4 years, Texas Tech also has a condensed 4 yr program for md/mba. seems mighty short though, in fact ive considered doing an optional 6th year to get a fuller experience

Hey, I am interviewing soon at Tufts. I am only applying for the MD, but want to change that to MD/MBA. Do you think I am better off keeping my application for MD or both MD/MBA? Also, could you speak of intensity? It seems like a dual-degree program lasting 4-years leaves very little room for mistakes? or was it bearable? Thanks

hdo781 said:
I'm a graduate of Tufts MD/MBA program. In terms of liberal arts and medicine, Tufts has a decent name. In terms of business, Tufts doesn't have a business school and it outsources the education to Northeastern University and Brandeis University. Tufts doesn't have the reputation of Wharton nor Harvard, but Tufts was one of the first MD/MBA programs and finishing in 4 years is a huge economic boost. Spending an extra year in business school means a loss of a whole year's salary. Instead of working, you would be in school. Having Wharton on your resume is beneficial when interviewing for your first job. However, once you're in business, it's about your last job and what you did. In deciding on a 4-year vs. a 5-year program, I decided that in business, experience was more important than education. Thus, I decided to get education over with as soon as possible so that I could get as much experience as I could in the working world.

-hdo781

For what its worth, I'd be careful about trying to get out of the MBA process too quickly by doing an even shorter condensed program. I'm doing the MBA portion of my MD/MBA dual degree (a 5 year joint program) and I find myself actually wishing that I could take a full two years of courses. There are so many classes that I'd love to take but there simply isn't time to fit them all in. Also, business school is one long phenomenal party and I'm in absolutely no hurry for it to end.

Tideguy said:
For what its worth, I'd be careful about trying to get out of the MBA process too quickly by doing an even shorter condensed program. I'm doing the MBA portion of my MD/MBA dual degree (a 5 year joint program) and I find myself actually wishing that I could take a full two years of courses. There are so many classes that I'd love to take but there simply isn't time to fit them all in. Also, business school is one long phenomenal party and I'm in absolutely no hurry for it to end.
i havent even started but i agree--ive looked at the curricula and there seem to be so many interesting classes to take, 5 yrs would hardly be enough. and i imagine business classmates might be cooler than med classmates. as for 4 years :wow: but if someone only has a passing interest in business it might be a good plan

the executive MBA is not a real MBA...its more like a MBA certificate

What do people think about the Boston University MD/MBA? How about the NJMS MD/MBA? The Robert Wood Johnson MD/MBA? Thanks. I am really interested in going to one of my state schools for medical school (NJ), but an opportunity like BU seems worth the time to me.

flindophile said:
Having taught in both MBA and EMBA programs I can tell you that they are both valid degrees. The regular MBA tends to be a bit more intense and also tends to emphasize more quantitative methods. EMBAs tend to be a bit more strategic -- which is natural given the audience.

I don't think an EMBA is appropriate for a MD/MBA unless the person has a LOT of experience. EMBA programs tend to be much more stringent about experience. In my classes most of the students had about 10 yrs of experience and most already had significant managerial responsibility and were looking to enter general management. An MD student wouldn't fit in with this crowd.
thanks flindo

but question.. at the end of the day you can still have the intials if you take a eMBA program right? You'll be Joe Smith, MD, MBA ??

and on resumes etc you would put: 2005-2006 Yale MBA program (would it be lying on your application if you were to not put eMBA) ?

just curious. I am also considering a eMBA program...but moreso to just understand business and to hopefully get involved in healthcare mgt/business.

flindophile said:
I don't think an EMBA is appropriate for a MD/MBA unless the person has a LOT of experience. EMBA programs tend to be much more stringent about experience. In my classes most of the students had about 10 yrs of experience and most already had significant managerial responsibility and were looking to enter general management. An MD student wouldn't fit in with this crowd.

Flindophile, most of the healthcare management MBA's I've seen are offered in an executive format. I haven't found any that are full-time.

flindophile said:
There is no asteric associated with an executive MBA. You would list it the same regardless of whether it was an executive MBA or full time MBA. I wouldn't worry a lot about this.

By the way, I think an eMBA is a reasonable way to go -- particularly if you do it after you have finished residency and have a clear reason for undertaking an MBA. I am not a big fan of MD/MBA programs. The majority of business careers do not require and MD (even in a healthcare business) and the majority of healthcare careers do not require an MBA. Thus, I think it is unwise to do an MD just to pad a resume for a business career or to do an MBA just to gain some understanding of business. There are some areas where an MD/MBA make sense but I think they are relatively rare and will not come up until someone has progressed a bit beyond residency.
My reason is to be director of an emergency department (which involves significant management/business experience) and ultimately to move into more upper level hospital administration.

You aren't going to be the director of an ED right after you finish residency, probably. When you are approaching the director level, or are one, you can go for the MBA if it meets your needs. At that point an eMBA makes a lot of sense. Many eMBAs use your job as a basis for projects in the curriculum. They assume that you have the ability to work strategically within your company. Furthermore, many eMBAs charge ~2x standard full-time MBA tuitions. They can do this because a large number of the students used to have their tuitions paid for by their employers. If they want you and you are ready to move up, it is also possible that your employer would pay for it, so I wouldn't jump to early on this.