MD/MPH people?! How does the application work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanda1o

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my overall career goal will be to get my MPH along with my MD (or DO).

I have a quick question about applying though, (I'm set to apply this upcoming June): do I apply to both medical schools AND MPH programs separately, THEN link them together as a dual degree assuming I get accepted to both programs at a single school?

Also, when applying to medical schools, do I refrain from saying I'm also currently applying to MPH programs as well?

I realize these may be dumb questions, I'm just confused on how to apply to both programs.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. Some schools have a combined degree. Some schools make you apply to both programs separately to complete at the same time. Some schools make you apply and get accepted into their MD/DO first then you can apply to their MPH. Some schools allow you to do it in four years, while others make you take a gap year in between years 2 and 3 or complete the MPH year 5. Some schools don't even offer any sort of dual degree at which point you have to obtain each degree completely separate..

You have to do your research for each school. University of Miami, for example, (PLUG) allows you to complete both degrees in four years and integrates the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. Some schools have a combined degree. Some schools make you apply to both programs separately. Some schools make you apply and get accepted into their MD/DO first then you can apply to their MPH. Some schools allow you to do it in four years, while others make you take a gap year in between years 2 and 3 or complete the MPH year 5...

You have to do your research for each school. University of Miami, for example, (PLUG) allows you to complete both degrees in four years and integrates the curriculum.

Ahh, thank you! So it's all dependent on the schools. Are you familiar with anyone on SDN who applied to both MD/DO programs and MPH programs the same cycle? I know MPH application database opens up in August, by that point I'd have my MD/DO apps in, so I think submit MPH apps to specific schools. Hm... this has me thinking now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to do it is to get into MD/DO first, then apply MPH once you're in school. The MD/DO becomes your best credential and the process is significantly easier. So pick med schools that have a good MPH program you'd be willing to attend and try to get into those. If you can't, it's okay; doing a dual degree at different institutions is refreshing and offers more connections (important for MPH)

Reactions: 1 users
Ahh, thank you! So it's all dependent on the schools. Are you familiar with anyone on SDN who applied to both MD/DO programs and MPH programs the same cycle? I know MPH application database opens up in August, by that point I'd have my MD/DO apps in, so I think submit MPH apps to specific schools. Hm... this has me thinking now.

Um, I don't know anyone specifically. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply to both programs to keep your options open but you obviously would have to pick one discipline over the other unless you applied to a specific medical/MPH program. Also wouldn't apply to places that you would really want to go to in the future in case you get accepted into an MD/DO program decide to forgo the initial MPH route; they might not take you the second time around if you turned them down the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
MD/MPH-er here starting this fall. it depends on your school list, but here's how it went for me:

AMCAS application: some schools let you designate if you intend to apply for a "graduate degree", then you click the box that says MPH. some didn't have this option on AMCAS, despite offering dual degrees. I designated MPH where I could.

very few schools required me to submit an application through SOPHAS at the same time that I was applying to the medical school. I thought this was annoying, and didn't really go through with it.

many schools want you to apply to their public health school internally (i.e. after you've matriculated there)

on secondaries, some schools do ask for an additional essay about your interest/goals in pursuing the MPH. the public health school will get access to all your application materials (letters of rec, essays, etc). if you're successful, you get accepted to both the medical school and public health school prior to matriculation.

most schools, if they offer the dual degree, have a combined 5 year program. in this scenario, you take a "break" from medical school for a year (either between your second and third year, OR third and fourth year) to complete the MPH.

very few schools have a combined program designed for you to finish in 4 years (what a great deal! this is what i'm ultimately pursuing)

some schools say it's a 5 year program, but while talking to students, found out many were able to finish in 4 by devoting their summers to the MPH classwork.

in terms of paying for it, some schools require no additional tuition, some require full graduate tuition on top of med school tuition, and some offer scholarships.

hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some schools simply allow you to get accepted MD then join the MD/MPH program if you want to before matriculation (Tulane). Or you can apply directly to a designated MD/MPH program, like Miami's (as my colleague @teeayejay did ;)).

It varies by school, best to check their websites.

Reactions: 2 users
There's a couple ways to do this, but I would not recommend submitting both a MD/DO medical school application and a separate SOPHAS public health school application (unless a MD/MPH program you're applying to specifically requires you to do so).

A good number of schools offer an MD/MPH option (I didn't apply DO but I know some DO schools offer the DO/MPH option as well). Most people I know interested in doing an MD/MPH submitted their medical school application and checked off the MD/MPH box on their AMCAS application for schools that offered an MD/MPH option.

Checking off the MD/MPH box when you designate a specific school on your AMCAS application lets the school know that you are interested in doing an MD/MPH dual degree. However, the MD/MPH application process varies by school. For some schools, the MPH component is built into their MD curriculum so you graduate with both degrees in four years (ex. Tufts, USC, etc.). For those that checked off the MD/MPH box, Tufts and USC had additional MPH specific questions in their secondaries and will be accepting students into the MD/MPH dual degree programs before you start medical school. The California UC PRIME Programs have a Master's degree built into the curriculum and you will have the flexibility to do choose MPH as your Master's degree and can choose to do your MPH at any school.

For other schools, checking off the MD/MPH box indicates an interest in the dual degree program, but you will apply to that school's MPH program after you start medical school at that school. Even at medical schools that offer an MPH degree, you can apply to another school's MPH program and take a break between 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th year to do so. For schools that do not offer an MPH, you can also take a year off between the 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th (more common I believe) years in medical school to do your MPH at another school.

I am in the process of submitting my AMCAS application, and I'm really interested in getting an MD/MPH. I'm still a little confused about how the application process works, though. When I click on MD/MPH on the AMCAS application, is my application put into a pile that is separate from the regular MD applications? I know that, for most schools, you end up applying to the MD/MPH program once you're accepted into the med school, but I was wondering if there was some kind of quota for MD/MPH kids?

In other words, are there any drawbacks to clicking MD/MPH now, on my AMCAS application?

I am in the process of submitting my AMCAS application, and I'm really interested in getting an MD/MPH. I'm still a little confused about how the application process works, though. When I click on MD/MPH on the AMCAS application, is my application put into a pile that is separate from the regular MD applications? I know that, for most schools, you end up applying to the MD/MPH program once you're accepted into the med school, but I was wondering if there was some kind of quota for MD/MPH kids?

In other words, are there any drawbacks to clicking MD/MPH now, on my AMCAS application?

it depends on the school process

some places, clicking that *commits* you to doing both if you're accepted right off the bat for sure, others might be more forgiving if you back out of the MPH at some future point but this is not a good application strategy by any means (some places not doing the MPH portion would effectively be dropping out of the MD and others it wouldn't be)

some places will accept you to one or the other, and maybe not both, so some places consider your app for both programs separately with no bearing on acceptance for one or the other, in others you would either need to be accepted to both and not being accepted to one could have your app rejected outright for both

what you need to do is read the website about both programs for any school that you are considering for an MPH, and see what their process or rules are

if you apply MPH, then expect at your interviews to discuss why, and what in your app supports you going for the MPH

some schools if you go MD and then want to add on an MPH make it very easy to do so

TLDR:
it will depend on the school, you need to do some homework
don't checkbox MD/MPH as a strategy to get in for MD, do it because you intelligently want an MPH

nope. at almost every school, clicking the button won't have a huge difference and will just let them know you're interested in an MPH. the "MD" portion of your application takes precedence. there is usually no special consideration for or against a dual-degree applicant. there's a few schools where you can apply to their four year md/mph program like USC or Tufts. you will almost always have to get accepted into a school first for the MPH portion to even matter.

Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone speak from experience about which of these options is better/easier to fulfill: getting an MPH as a fifth year (will be cost of attendance of the MPH+a fee for the med school for the fifth year) or getting an MPH during residency or later in life (way less time but the potential that the program will cover the costs)? I've only recently heard of the latter being an option and I'd like to learn more, but I have no idea if that is a really uncommon and risky way to get the MPH.

@Crayola227 and @neekzg thank y'all both so much!! I know I am definitely planning on getting an MPH and an MD (if I can get into medical school!) but I'm trying to figure out if I would have a better chance of getting into medical school if I *don't* hit MD/MPH now, and postpone the MPH for a little later.

From what I've seen online in my research and by talking to current medical students who I know, it seems like it shouldn't really make a difference, but one of my friends mentioned something to me about there being a limiting quota for MD/MPH kids in each medical school class and I got a little freaked out

Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone speak from experience about which of these options is better/easier to fulfill: getting an MPH as a fifth year (will be cost of attendance of the MPH+a fee for the med school for the fifth year) or getting an MPH during residency or later in life (way less time but the potential that the program will cover the costs)? I've only recently heard of the latter being an option and I'd like to learn more, but I have no idea if that is a really uncommon and risky way to get the MPH.
Very few MPHs will be paid for by anyone down the line. Do the fifth year now but make sure you have a reason for getting the degree in the first place.