Md/mph?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying mostly to Osteo schools due to low GPA from poor performance from a while back, but I am thinking about applying to my state schools (4 SUNY schools) just for the sake of giving it a shot. I am taking the MCAT in August and I am doing very well on the AAMC practice tests (above average for a matriculant at a SUNY school).

I was looking at SUNY Downstate's website and saw that they had an MD/MPH option. I would like to know is this option usually more competitive to get than a regular MD admission, about the same, or less competitive admission? I am interested in this program but I certainly wouldn't want to jeopordize my already slim chances of getting in by applying for the MD/MPH program if it has more competitive admission standards.

Thanks for reading my post. Apparently I am too cheap, too poor, or a combination of both to buy the MSAR (since I am only applying to 4 allo schools anyway).

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect that it neither helps nor hurts. According to the MPH website for SUNY Downstate:

Admission to the Concurrent Degree Program
Applicants for concurrent degrees with other programs in the medical center must apply to and be accepted by each program. Students applying for concurrent degrees should apply to both programs as early as possible so that they can obtain their admission status for each program in a timely fashion. The admission requirements for each degree apply. Students applying for concurrent degrees should indicate their intent on the application.

LizzyM said:
I suspect that it neither helps nor hurts. According to the MPH website for SUNY Downstate:

Admission to the Concurrent Degree Program
Applicants for concurrent degrees with other programs in the medical center must apply to and be accepted by each program. Students applying for concurrent degrees should apply to both programs as early as possible so that they can obtain their admission status for each program in a timely fashion. The admission requirements for each degree apply. Students applying for concurrent degrees should indicate their intent on the application.

I read that also, I was just wondering if there was anything specific in the MSAR regarding the competitiveness of this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardbody said:
I read that also, I was just wondering if there was anything specific in the MSAR regarding the competitiveness of this program.

Write and ask interquartile range of MCAT scores & gpa for admitted students in the MD/MPH.

in most schools, u can probably apply to mph during your first year.
isnt it the same with downstate?

Send an email to the contact for the program.
They usually get back to you within a few days. If it takes more than a week, call in and find out.
I've contacted a few schools with the most random questions (stats on incoming class, option to merge two essays since they were related, influence on time holding on to secondary in order to complete a quarter and give a fully updated transcript, etc)