MD/MS in neuroscience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
id like to become a neurologist...in addition to an md id like to get atleast a masters in neuroscience...i know alot of schools offer combined md/phd or md/masters....but im having a real hard time finding one for md/masters in neuroscience...any body know of any programs or possibly an easier way to find them?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want the extra exp. in Neuro sci, why not just go for the PhD in Neuro?

Checkout the AAMC website for their listings of combined degree programs

Reimat said:
If you want the extra exp. in Neuro sci, why not just go for the PhD in Neuro?

It's possible the OP might want the extra knowledge, but not necessarily the extra research experience. While I'm a big fan of the lab and all the learning that comes with it, if you're not planning a lifetime of bench research there are almost certainly more pertinent ways to spend those (potentially many, many) extra years. I can see how some might spring for a Master's over a Ph.D. in that case.
I'm sure the OP won't have problems finding schools willing to let them set up an impromptu combined degree program, since the expectation of funding isn't there. Now if you want it funded, OTOH, good luck to you, 'cause you're going to need it.
Be well, happy holidays to all.
Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the reason why im not thinking of springing for the phd is because i dont think i want to be doing a whole lot of research...i would just like to have a thorough understanding or neuro science...im going to school for it now but i cant imagine not learning much more about it after i graduate.

jwtaylor said:
yeah the reason why im not thinking of springing for the phd is because i dont think i want to be doing a whole lot of research...i would just like to have a thorough understanding or neuro science...im going to school for it now but i cant imagine not learning much more about it after i graduate.

Actually, what you should do really depends on your career goals. If you are not interested in research then go the MD route. The masters is not necessary and will not give you significantly better insight into clinical neurology. Although you may not realize it, if you pursue a neurology residency you will learn a great deal about the nervous system and its multitude of diseases during that time. Neurology tends to be a relatively academically-oriented field, with much time devoted to teaching and learning.

If you want a more in-depth background in basic neuroscience, consider just taking/auditing some extra courses (i.e. in a graduate program at your school).

Hope this helps.